View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
Carey
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Confession....road rage on the water...

I'm not even going to consider getting into the Semi Displacement/Semi Planing discussion, because I don't know, but I do have a great "Wet Road Rage" story. I'll keep it brief.
It was a dark and stormy night. No, that's a different story. It was a beautiful day in Fossil Bay. We were tied to the dock, enjoying all that mother nature and boating have to offer, when this teenager began running the one hundred foot gap between dad's anchored Carver and the dock at about thirty knots. Back and forth, forth and back. On his third round trip, I was forced to point out the 3.5 knot speed limit in the anchorage. I did this with only a slight frustration in my voice, but enough volume to reach him at his 100' distance. Without a word, he went below, and almost immediately was followed by dad, and they began to load the inflatable and thirty horse aboard. In about five minutes they were loaded up and engines running. At this point, a small celebration of sorts had begun on the dock, as we envisioned no more annoyance from them. However, as soon as the anchor was up, the father proceeded to hit the throttle and head right for the head of the dock (where I happened to be standing), and came at us at about twelve knots, then turned sharply right next to my boat, leaving about ten feet between us, and proceeded down the full length of the dock, waking no less than ten boats on each side of our dock, and continued out of the harbor waking another thirty or so boats anchored and bouyed throughout the bay. Not so much as a "Have a nice day." Like father, like son!

-- Edited by Carey at 20:44, 2007-12-03
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote