medical emergency call?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodscrew

Vessel Name
Northern Star
Vessel Make
Bristol 42 1970
In the event of a medical emergency along the ICW that can't be handled on board, what's the procedure? Who and how do you call? VHF, cell phone, Coast Guard etc? I have AIS with an emergency switch setup. Use that? Help.

911 would be best and make sure to coordinate an exact landside pickup point ASAP...even if you have to pull over to private property....the EMTs will.

Then a call to the USCG advising them which 911 dispatch you coordinated with.

There isn't as much coordination between agencies as on might think...but the 911 system has been the best focal point in my experience...and even that can be shakey when you are on the water and only yards from docks because of "territorial" or jurisdictional boundries.

Can't get cell coverage?.... USCG.

Last edited:
You may not even need to call. Crew was immobilized by sudden and severe back pain just after getting up at the southern end of the Pongo Canal. I called the marina in Belhaven to arrange for a dock and we started heading there. USCG heard the radio call. Half way to the marina, they came along side and put an EMT aboard without my even needing to slow down. They put in an IV in and monitored her for shock until we landed. Ambulance ride to Washington NC was $10,000 (yup,four zeros) so be sure you have medical insurance that doesn't have any network restrictions. We pay plenty extra for that but it's necessary when you travel.

Obviously the situation dictates the type of call...just like it would on land...

But a true life threatening situation where minutes count....I would start at the apex of the emergency response system.

In all my years of running charters, I've only had one medical emergency on the boat that required an EMT. Contacted USCG, who coordinated everything. One of the advantages of having the USCG involved was having the additional manpower to remove the large patient on a stretcher from the boat. Something most of us probably don't consider when boat shopping, is how difficult it would be to tranfer an incapacitated person on a stretcher from one boat to possibly another, away from a dock. In my situation, was very happy that I was in my boat slip.

Ted

One thing about the ICW........

There usually are hundreds and hundreds of EMT crews along the way and some are usually within minutes of any place you are. The USCG could be an hour or more away. ...or on another call.

If offshore or any large boady of water where you are an hour or more away from making landfall...sure.... the USCG is probably the best to coordinate...plus again cell phone coverage may be non existent or spotty.

I am not saying dont contact the USCG every time...just for me being involved in literally hundreds of MEDEVACs fron coordinator to pilot to boat captain..... I would bet my life on calling 911 first in the majority of the ICW or Great Loop.... thus kerping in mind that requirement as you cruise along as there is always exceptions.

Whether you call one or the other first may not matter as much as calling both to get everything rolling whether they are coordinating yet or not.

One thing about the ICW........

There usually are hundreds and hundreds of EMT crews along the way and some are usually within minutes of any place you are. The USCG could be an hour or more away. ...or on another call.

If offshore or any large boady of water where you are an hour or more away from making landfall...sure.... the USCG is probably the best to coordinate...plus again cell phone coverage may be non existent or spotty.

I am not saying dont contact the USCG every time...just for me being involved in literally hundreds of MEDEVACs fron coordinator to pilot to boat captain..... I would bet my life on calling 911 first in the majority of the ICW or Great Loop.... thus kerping in mind that requirement as you cruise along as there is always exceptions.

Whether you call one or the other first may not matter as much as calling both to get everything rolling whether they are coordinating yet or not.

This is a great discussion. Something that we never think of until the sh** hits the fan. Psneeld your experience and thoughts are appreciated!

So as a part time charter boat captain, within a mile or so of shore, and I have an emergency, who is my first / second call to? 911?
Frankly until the discussion I would have thought CG but now when in a populated area I am thinking 911 first and CG second

Last edited:
Both within minutes of each other...even if you have to place each one on short holds.....never to interfere with boat handling safety.

If chartering ...may start with USCG first as they have "jurisdiction" over you in terms of a license.

In my case, I was 10 miles offshore, there was a USCG station just inside the inlet and figured the USCG would know which entity to call (city or county EMS) and might have a preferred dock (one that had been used before) to evacuate the passenger.

Ted

Wasn't second guessing you Ted...home dock and hometown experience can trump all.

I think if I could steer, hold the phone, and key the mike to the USCG at the same time...I would do it. May try it anyway if the emergency warrants it.

I've had three experiences with life-threatening emergencies aboard, and they were handled three different ways...it really does depend upon where you are.

The first was a bee sting while sailing about five miles east of Sandy Hook, heading up into Lower Bay. The crew member had forgotten her EpiPen and she developed anaphylaxis. The Coast Guard helicopter got help to her far faster than we could have by heading toward shore to meet EMS. BTW, I always carry two doses of epinephrine on my boat these days....

The second was a diving injury off Alki Point in Seattle. The diver came up in distress, coughing up blood...he turned out to have a bilateral hemopneumothorax. We did advise the Coast Guard but were able to roar across Elliot Bay and meet the paramedics at the pier much faster than the helo could have gotten to us.

The third doesn't relate to US coastal waters...it was when I was a guide in the Galapagos Islands and one of my passengers had a heart attack. There was no 911, no USCG. We had to keep him aboard for a two day passage to rendezvous with a plane sent out by the Ecuadorian Air Force.

Overall, it's important to know the medical conditions of all passengers and to ensure that everyone has the medications they require.

Overall, it's important to know the medical conditions of all passengers and to ensure that everyone has the medications they require.

I know some feel like this is a heavy intrusion but it may save their life.

I would call the CG if offshore and 911 on the ICW.

However, I'm going to remind what I consider the importance of a medical kit on board. Many of the most critical items would be in it. Also, it allows you to administer aid under the instruction of EMT's or even an ER while on the way to shore. Of course, any training you can get helps too.

Along the ICW if there wasn't a marina handy, I'd pull up to the first dock on the mainland side and get an ambulance on the way there.

THat is a really good question, and the best answer depends on where you are in the AICW.

If you are in a well equipped COUNTY, AND not offshore, I advise you use them. They may be closer than the FEDS, but even that is not a given. If you are offshore, I know of no county helo's that have lift baskets.
I've rolled uscg, county, city, and even seen Customs and border protection boats with various situations I've been in.
If things are really critical, 911 AND ch 16/70 is my plan. Let them race it out with the best/closest assets. From what I see with first responders, they generally all like to be involved and see action.

Here is a story told to me by a first person involved. A small boat sank at night in seas right out of a FL inlet. Two passengers swam to opposite jetties and were OK, but unaware of their buddies status. One had the county respond and start a search for person B. The other had a different agency respond and start a search for person A. This went on for a while, until, ultimately, the two agencies discovered that person A and B were OK, just across the inlet from one another.

Would a pan pan call on 16 work? Potential responders could take it from there,with services you may not know even exist, perhaps combining the efforts of several providers.
Land based ambulance here are fixed on getting a cross streets location and don`t cope with "Refuge Bay on the Hawkesbury River". A call on 16 should produce a Water Police response(here,maybe CG in USA)and/or Marine Rescue (a kind of volunteer CG) response, thereby getting the ball rolling.
I had friends with a medical emergency anchored out, husband had a throat hemorrhage inside the head, door closed, and blocked by his collapsed body. Water Police attended, ferried the extracted patient to a dockside waiting ambulance,in a co-operative joint effort.
For Hawkesbury River cruisers,Dangar Island has a water ambulance and presumably crew with (at least) First Aid ability.
Apologies OP, for the transpacific crossing, but I`m sure other Aussies might be thinking local too, and our experiences may transpose elsewhere.

Last edited:
Would a pan pan call on 16 work? Potential responders could take it from there,with services you may not know even exist, perhaps combining the efforts of several providers.

When my Dad had a stroke at anchor in Telegraph harbor, my Mom did a Mayday call on 16. A sailboat anchored right next to them heard the Mayday and dinghies over to assist. An ER physician and ER nurse. They brought their emergency medical kit and checked my Dad out (not a lot they could do) and waited for the Canadian CG Auxillary to show up to transport him to shore and a hospital.

You never know who may hear the radio call and provide more help than you might otherwise expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my Dad had a stroke at anchor in Telegraph harbor, my Mom did a Mayday call on 16. A sailboat anchored right next to them heard the Mayday and dinghies over to assist. An ER physician and ER nurse. They brought their emergency medical kit and checked my Dad out (not a lot they could do) and waited for the Canadian CG Auxillary to show up to transport him to shore and a hospital.

You never know why may hear the radio call and provide more help than you might otherwise expect.
There's a lot to this. Plenty of physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals that I work with are out and about on their boats all the time. I myself am a critical care & trauma nurse and carry a kit wherever I go.

The OP asked who to call along the ICW.

Even then several things come into play...first and foremost, what is the nature of the emergency...are minutes really going to matter?

Sure a Mayday call will work..... tho technically a medical emergency is not a Mayday...but even in my line of work I say BS...make it a Mayday. I do really want to emphasize that Mayday is absolutely fine for a life threatening emergency and even lesser issues if you think appropriate.... equate it to calling an ambulance on land...that severity... make the call a MAYDAY.

The Mayday will also most likely get you in touch with the USCG quickly. And yes it MAY bring qualified medical help....but again it wouldnt be my first call depending on the emergency due to the possible lack of necessary equipment by the waterborne caregiver. Hech even USCG resources don't always carry much compared to an ambulance.

My exoerience has shown that trying to coordinate a medical emergency on the radio can be very hard. In fact the USCG will usually switch you to a phone if better comms can be had. Usually it takes awhile to gey important info through...back and forth.... so guessing what method of communication will get the best equipment and people rolling in your direction is paramount.

Last edited:
Every area of the country is different.
In the close-in populated ICW, for a medical emergency, I would call 911. In coastal wide open waters like Delaware Bay or Chesapeake Bay, I would call the CG on 16. My thoughts are the numerous state and local emergency resources including police, sheriffs, fire/rescue, ambulances and paramedics, are immediately available to the 911 centers directly. Response time is a few minutes. The CG has to go everywhere by boat or helo. That may take a lot of time to get to the scene. Most of the "golden hour" is lost to transit time.
An example: In SW Florida, there is practically zero presence of CG boats between Ft. Myers and St. Petersburg. That area is covered by various Sheriff Dept and FWC boats. In NJ the coastal ICW is covered by CG with NJSP and Fire/rescue boats secondary.

Even then Archie, the Townsends Inlet USCG boat may be all the way up in Stathmere or 10 miles offshore....and true of other areas.

The rest is specific for areas but for genera memberl consumption.

Calling 911 behind Avalon, Stone Harbor, Sea Isle, etc and pulling into one of a thousand possible offload spots might be way quicker...so much so I would bet my life there rather calling Mayday. Now ofv thd coast headed for an inlet...even right along the beach...sure call Mayday and see how quick the USCG can get an ambulance to the first available dock.

If I think I can pull over to even a private dock, get the address from google maps and get an ambulance there in minutes...that going to be my decision.

If in the middle of the Dismal Swamp...I would stick my nose in the trees to the bank if I could get an ambulance to meet me as it would take awhile for any vessel to get in and out of the canal.

In the middle of the Alligator Pungo River Canal...heck getting to a road or being met by boat or helo would be a crapshoot...so a Mayday would probably be effective unless I was right at one of the bridges.

My apologies to all those who have no clue of where I am talking about. Many loopers or East Coast US snowbirders probably do so its just a reference to population centers and shore accesibility with nearness to ambulance/paramedic services. Have a clue....save a life.

Last edited:
My last med emergency chain of custody:

hobie cat: beach lifeguard: county fire dept: private ambulance: county helicopter

This was for a fairly simple near-drowning event just a few miles offshore. I started the sequence with a CH 16 call to the Sheriffs rescue boat using "medical emergency" in the call. But, I knew beforehand the county had a strong presence both at the nearest inlet and also ashore. There was some initial uncertainty with GPS lat/lon vs "what beach are you headed to". There was also vhf comm with the fast offshore county boat. In the end, we elected to get the woman to the beach, fastest way.
But, there was more fog in this episode. The beach lifeguards deal with a lot of heat related stress conditions, and so, were intent on cooling the patient. In fact, the patient was suffering from immersion issues, so cooling was not a great treatment. I had lots of O2 and a Dr on board my boat, but it was not clear what her problem was. Not at all responsive to a fast neuro exam. Off she went, via helo. after a couple mile road trip. She was a diver without gear (or dive boat) at this point, so thoughts went to a DCS attack.

Emergency contact

Not sure where you are or where you are referring to if you have an issue, but for the broadest coverage we have an inReach, now handled by Garmin.

Here is specifics; https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269.

I use it primarily as a tracker. Everyday before we leave where we are I start the Explorer + and send a text to my contact list that we are leaving. The message picks up a link to a map, here's ours, https://share.garmin.com/NepidaeTrawler which anyone getting the link can watch real time.

I noticed that someone sent you a SPOT link and I would just pass it by. Used to have SPOT but a big factor is that they only keep your map for 7 days, if you don't move the data to another spot you've lost it. inReach, keeps it indefinitely. Our map covers 3 years.

Another factor is that I have 3 free messages, 1 I use when we leave. Another I use when we arrive, can you say float plan, and a 3rd for when we put the boat up. These messages can be changed to whatever you want.

In line with your question, when you hit the SOS button, you will get a response which will ask the problem. Helps 1st responders know what they are walking into.

The link will give you a lot more.

I would also suggest a family plan in DAN Boater. Originally started for divers, this will get you anywhere you need to go, airlift if necessary for medical assistance. I know that there will be kickback on this, it isn't a free ride home, but IF you need to get to a hospital due to your issue, it's a great help and again, you would be talking to someone who can assist.

You can get more info here; https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/.

Wouldn't start the boat without turning on our inReach.

Any questions, let me know.

I noticed that someone sent you a SPOT link and I would just pass it by. Used to have SPOT but a big factor is that they only keep your map for 7 days, if you don't move the data to another spot you've lost it. inReach, keeps it indefinitely. Our map covers 3 years.

InReach is really nice. Too much money for my tastes when I checked it in the past.

I do have a Spot and would like to make one correction. The link that you can share that goes to your shared web page will only keep tracks for a limited time (can’t recall the time) but the account page that we have as an account will show all the data. I have Spot data going back three years.

SPOT reply

The link that you can share that goes to your shared web page will only keep tracks for a limited time (can’t recall the time) but the account page that we have as an account will show all the data. I have Spot data going back three years.

Does it, Spot, place the info, your track, in both places, shared web page and the account page, or do you need to move the track yourself, from 1 to the other?

Last I heard it was 7 days. Better be sure you can do what you need to do within that period.

inReach, and in this case you get what you pay for, as Spot doesn't do 1/2 what inReach does, especially from an SOS standpoint, it also keeps all of your tracks in 1 location. Even if Spot does keep it in both, you still need to go from 1 place to another.

On the inReach page, Map, is all you need.

IF you want, with inReach, you can also text to anyone. Does Spot do that?

Last, but not least, with inReach you can suspend service, with no penalty; last I knew, you paid Spot for a year, whether you use it or not, at least that's what they told me after I found out about the 7 day limitation and asked for my money for the rest of the year. Since we cruise, we are on the Loop, for about 5-6mo a year right now, suspending service is a nice ability.

Way more benefits with inReach. Also, since I have a full range of Garmin Navionics, can't wait to see how Garmin integrates inReach. Got my nav products before Garmin bought DeLorem.

Just as a reminder, official SAR procedures would involve an EPIRB/PLB, the proper use of DSC distress via VHF or 911.

Other services are just middlemen.

They are great for a lot of things but still not officially recognized within the rescue circles.

Just as a reminder, official SAR procedures would involve an EPIRB/PLB, the proper use of DSC distress via VHF or 911.

Other services are just middlemen.

They are great for a lot of things but still not officially recognized within the rescue circles.

You are mostly correct, except not sure what you mean by rescue circles. But none of those to my knowledge provide the ability to send a notice to a group that could constitute a Float Plan. People know you are leaving a location, can follow you live in real time, or delayed a minor amount and pushing the SOS button would also notify others of your location and problem with the ability to query what the problem is.

I could have a specific message setup, saying to notify the Coast Guard and with 2 button pushes, it would go to the 25 people I have on my contact list which I guess could also have a Coast Guard contact setup as well.

Certainly, cell would not be as good as an inReach especially if you weren't around cell towers. inReach uses satellites, which aren't limited to close by towers.

We don't travel on waters broad or wide enough that an EPIRB or PLB would do much more and yes we do have DSC radios on board.

Check with Ben Ellison's site Panbo for his take on inReach. He likes it.

Does he work in the SAR circles?

If not I would ask those experts what they think they would bet their lives on to send emergency signals.

A float plan is just that, often changed and should left with someone who you trust with your life to keep track of you, but in the end, the switching of one switch can be more effective.

When calling 911 you really need to be very clear where you are. I keep my boat in New Jersey but the closest cell tower is in Philadelphia. The first thing you are given when tying up in our marina is the local emergency phone number. Its 7 digits but goes to the local 911 call center.
John

Medical Emergency Call

If not I would ask those experts what they think they would bet their lives on to send emergency signals.

A float plan is just that, often changed and should left with someone who you trust with your life to keep track of you, but in the end, the switching of one switch can be more effective.

Admittedly, items like inReach are not an accepted norm, YET. Technology usually moves a lot faster than bureaucracy's.

Yes, a float plan changes and a benefit of inReach is that those on your contact list will see where you are. Almost, exactly, where you are. As to someone you trust, I'd say that if my 4 kids aren't enough, then there are about 20 others, just in case the kids want their inheritance early, who also know where we are. More than a paper float plan would normally have contact with.

The good thing, is that inReach is supplemental to DSC, on the 3 radios we carry, 1 fixed and 2 handheld.

I never tried to imply that all anyone needed was inReach, just as all anyone needs is an EPIRB or PLB or DSC. They are all tools to help the boater stay safe and in touch when needed.

I, and I repeat, I, believe that if 1 is considering a device like inReach or SPOT, that inReach is a much better product, for the reasons I enumerated prior, plus those on Garmin's site that has all of the info on their product.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom