Thread: Buyers Broker
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #5
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
If I ever decide I want or need a different boat I will use a buyers broker that specializes in the particular kind/style of boat I am after.

A sellers broker wants to sell you a specific boat you are interested in at the moment.

A buyers Broker of course wants you to buy a boat, but he or she does not really care about any particular boat, listed with any particular agency.

A specialized buyers broker is always looking at boats that come up for sale within his or her specialty. They are generally experts in that particular style of boat and are better prepared to help match the best boat to your needs and budget. They are often semi or full on technical experts and can point out challenges with a particular boat long before a surveyer gets involved.

The problem with a buyers broker is unfortunately one of finances. Everyone needs to make a living. With a 10% commission being split in half there is a dollar amount where below that where it is not reasonable to expect a buyers broker to exert a whole bunch of time probably flying around inspecting potential boats with you. I do not know what that dollar amount is but I’m guessing that with a half million dollar budget you could probably attract a pretty good buyers broker that specializes in Trawlers. If your budget is more modest at some point it will be difficult to attract the interest of a buyers broker for anything but local boats.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote