Dripping Galley Faucet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghost0070

Vessel Name
Rosie
Vessel Make
American Tug 34
8/7/2018
AT34
[bookmarked] Galley faucet drips.
For no apparent reason the galley faucet started to drip. Before I start to tear things apart, is there a logical progression to follow. Thanks in advance.

Try to identify the faucet but have parts on hand before you disassemble. There's no point in tearing a faucet down without having the stuff on hand to repair it. Don't count on a big box store having parts. Post pics of the faucet, look for a manufacturer's name. If it's a standard configuration, replacement may be the best approach depending on the faucet you're working on. If things are corroded, you may not be able to disassemble without damaging it beyond redemption.

8/7/2018
AT34
[bookmarked] Galley faucet drips.
For no apparent reason the galley faucet started to drip. Before I start to tear things apart, is there a logical progression to follow. Thanks in advance.

Cartridges inside faucets go south, sometimes. Or sometimes it just needs a new o-ring or gasket...

Best if you can identify manufacturer and model first; that often gives you a chance to review parts diagrams on line, etc... and new cartridges are usually cheap, usually easy to replace cheap if you can learn how to get inside the thing. American Tug could likely tell you their OEM supplier, probably faucet model.

Pics?

-Chris

My faucets had strange washers that I could not find anywhere so I just replace the faucets with new ones and now they have a lifetime warranty and parts are available.

Much dock water , esp in the south is very hard.

Toss the unit and install one with ceramic seals for the longest life.

I opened a manufacturer's PDF online and discovered that my faucet's cartridges could be simply tightened to stop the drip. Hey presto!

Don’t you hate it when reading the instructions works...

I opened a manufacturer's PDF online and discovered that my faucet's cartridges could be simply tightened to stop the drip. Hey presto!

On the other hand, the faucet in the head leaked and the previous owner said that the problem had stumped him and that I'd likely have to just replace the thing.

This comment mystified me. Yes, the faucet looked like some no-name oddball RV thing, but one Allen screw later and popping the handle off showed me that it uses the exact same rebuild kit that my bathroom faucet at home uses!

Some hot water tanks like the Kuuma water heaters use a small air pocket in the top of the tank to prevent dripping. After a while the air gets absorbed and the pocket needs to be regenerated.

Turn off the water supply and let the water cool. Open the hot faucet closest to the tank and pull the emergency relief valve handle. Let the water run until it stops and then let the valve snap close. Close the faucet and turn on the supply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom