"Mack" engine in a Californian?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mack had 2 different marine engines I believe. They had a good reputation for longevity but I don't think they are around anymore in marine applications. I don't know about parts support.

The original Tuna.Com (38 Duffy I believe) had a Mack in it.

I see. They usta make a serious, low RPM high torque truck engine. Now everything is ECM / computer stuff. Thanks for info.

In 2000 Mack expanded into marine applications with the ME7 and ME9. The boat is a 1989, this makes it a repower. Hard to say if you got something very cool or something that is an orphan.

I am rather conservative so I would approach it like it needs new engines until proven otherwise.

A few companies have marinized the Mack engines. The 7 is a 12 liter straight six, the 9 is a 16 liter V8. I ran into one V8 that had internal problems, and the pistons were no longer available. I think the compression ratio was lower on the 900hp marine. I think the guy bailed on the Mack and re-powered.

They are good engines and I think the six is still somewhat supported as that engine (and the V8) are still out there working. But the marine specific parts might be a big problem.

Mack must be one of the very few diesel engines that are not in the Boat Diesel database. I have looked at a catamaran locally that has the ME7's in it. Performance appears very good, but I am wary of buying a boat with them, given their rarity.

In 2000 Mack expanded into marine applications with the ME7 and ME9. The boat is a 1989, this makes it a repower. Hard to say if you got something very cool or something that is an orphan.

Agreed. I was with Mack when they began selling the E-7 for marine application, including to Merlin. The E-7 was an awesome performer. It had a 5” main bearing diameter. If they’ve been cared for at all and are under 650 HP, they should give good service. Torque ratings of even the truck version of the EM7-300 was 1460 at 1020 RPM so stringers and motor mount condition is critical. Some were re-cammed and timed to take some of the low grunt out of lighter boat applications. I may have some literature stuffed away somewhere if you know the HP.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom