View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
LeoKa
Guru

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ironsides
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
From your pictures ,it looks to be a very robust & professional setup you have but the dual,push pull steering cylinders with the short throw and short tiller arms look to be best suited/designed for a power-assisted pump not not a manual helm. I've seen lots on them here on the east coast, mostly used in down-east & Nova Scotia built commercial boats. They all have the short-ram, close-throw setup at the rudder but are also all power assisted by engine driven pumps. I could see why it would be hard to steer with a manual helm pump & so little tiller leverage at the rudder post, in addition to the two cylinders being linked in series.
You would probably need a higher volume autopilot pump which needs a larger pilot to drive it which means more $$. They would all give you a rudder position indicator. That's the cheapest part!
I think you have nailed it. This is exactly what could be my problem. I am not saying I cannot steer, but it takes forever to turn the wheel to the right position. In a tough situation that is not safe, or even dangerous. Docking can be very tricky with current and wind, if you don't know where the rudder is and takes a while to position it.

Do you have any recommendations on the power steering installation?
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote