OK, I got my stainless steel anchor and a galvanized chain.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimisbell

Guru
Vessel Name
Papillon
Vessel Make
1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
My experience is that stainless steel coupled to galvanized in salt water will "burn" the galvanizing off in very short order.
How do you put a galvanized chain on a SS anchor. I cant afford SS chain ....LOL

Never seen it happen. SS swivels or shackles to galvanized chain or anchors.
Where'd you hear that?

Never seen it happen. SS swivels or shackles to galvanized chain or anchors.
Where'd you hear that?

Ive seen it with my own eyes. Try using stainless steel safety wire on a galvanized shackle, it will burn the zinc off and the shackle will begin to rust..

Maybe a un galvanized link from the SS anchor to the galvanized shackle would work.

Last edited:
I don’t think you’ll have a problem but if you do, use a galvanized shackle and replace it once in a while.

Ive seen it with my own eyes. Try using stainless steel safety wire on a galvanized shackle, it will burn the zinc off and the shackle will begin to rust..

Maybe a un galvanized link from the SS anchor to the galvanized shackle would work.

Well something was up there because I have used that same set up with SS wire and haven't seen what you describe. Perhaps all SS wire and galvanized shackles are not created equal?

My galvanized shackle shows no sign of burning..... it has no more rust than other components......well possibly a tiny bit where the wire can rub when buried in the bottom and moving around.

Most qrick reference articles in mousing anchor shackles discuss using stainless or monel wire on galvanized shackles with no mention of accelerated "burning".

Heres one....

Are You Sailing with “Weak Links” in Your Rigging? | Cruising Compass

Galvanizing is mostly zinc...and we place zincs on stainless underwater parts. They slowly erode, and they should, but they don't show burn marks where attached to one another.

Dip the last couple links and shackle in epoxy. Keeping them electrically isolated might help if the epoxy ladts at all.

Last edited:
If you are really concerned ditch the stainless anchor and buy a galvanized replacement. Actually I don't see it being a problem unless you are anchored for long periods of time. For occasional use it shouldn't be an issue particularly if you give the anchor a fresh water rinse after use.

OK, consensus is that it is not a problem. So I will relax.

Relax. My chain is disreputable but it works, last time I pulled it all up the anchor was still there...

I had a stainless anchor/galvanized chain on my commercial fishing boat for years with no noticeable change it either. Anchored 60-90 nights a year.

I can't explain it, but when I replaced a 316 SS winchard bow shackle attaching galvanized chain to my Ultra SS anchor, there was no rusting or loss of galvanizing. The new 316 SS Ultra flip swivel causes loss of galvanizing on the first 6 links or so. Not a big deal - I just saw those links off every couple of years. I have no clue what the difference is....

Back
Top Bottom