Mainship 400 trawler articulating rudder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Slow Lane
Vessel Make
2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Guys, some of the Mainship 400's that are for sale have added an articulating rudder. Can someone explain what these are and the benefits?

On a single engine 400 trawler with only a bow thruster would the articulating rudder be as useful as a stern thruster would? Or is it still more desirable to have the bow and stern thruster?

The articulating rudder replaces the single flat rudder with one with two segments. This creates a sort of curved surface when the rudder is turned hard over which gives it significantly better performance.

In the scheme of things with cost being factored in, I would want a bow thruster first, a stern thruster second and an articulating rudder third. But two and three are pretty close.

David

I think I agree with David, although I’ve never had an articulating rudder. I have a bow and stern thruster but would really love to add an articulating rudder to my boat.

I think I agree with David, although I’ve never had an articulating rudder. I have a bow and stern thruster but would really love to add an articulating rudder to my boat.

Yes, I definitely want a stern thruster on my "new" boat.

Okay, the consensus is that an A.R won't "replace" a stern thruster but is a complement. Good to know.

Thanks guys. Shrew, that last video is amazing.

Honestly, you can get a tighter turning radius using the 'bump and fill' method, even without a bow thruster.

Honestly, you can get a tighter turning radius using the 'bump and fill' method, even without a bow thruster.

In one direction. I can turn my boat on a dime to starboard doing that. Not so much to port.

In one direction. I can turn my boat on a dime to starboard doing that. Not so much to port.

True. My prop is turning the other way. I turn tightly to port and prop walk in reverse to Stbd.

Guys, some of the Mainship 400's that are for sale have added an articulating rudder. Can someone explain what these are and the benefits....

I’ve installed BEI rudders on my last two trawlers. My current boat, a 47’ Selene, is equipped with bow and stern thrusters—very useful in getting the boat to move those last few feet to the dock; and to keep it there when wind is blowing you off/away from the dock. But nothing compares to the dramatic performance I get from the AR for close quarters maneuvering. I can turn 180 degrees in my own boat length without back-and-fill. So many other examples but no need to go into those here. You can reach Ron and Carol at BEI @ (360) 920-9459.

I’ve installed BEI rudders on my last two trawlers. My current boat, a 47’ Selene, is equipped with bow and stern thrusters—very useful in getting the boat to move those last few feet to the dock; and to keep it there when wind is blowing you off/away from the dock. But nothing compares to the dramatic performance I get from the AR for close quarters maneuvering. I can turn 180 degrees in my own boat length without back-and-fill. So many other examples but no need to go into those here. You can reach Ron and Carol at BEI @ (360) 920-9459.

Great endorsement. Any idea what the rough cost would be on a boat like your Selene?

Meh. Just buy one with twins.:hide:

Great endorsement. Any idea what the rough cost would be on a boat like your Selene?

Cost of the new rudder was $6800, plus labor...we did the install when the Selene was on the hard for another project so labor was not much...maybe $1000 to drop the original and install the new one.

Cost of the new rudder was $6800, plus labor...we did the install when the Selene was on the hard for another project so labor was not much...maybe $1000 to drop the original and install the new one.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom