Old 08-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #17
Steve91T
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapelo son View Post
I just got back from 2 months in the Abacos and I towed my 22' Bay Boat. I had initially planned to tow a 27 Contender but we sold it at the last minute before the trip so I towed the bay boast instead. I had already purchased a tow rope from the pro rope folks in FFL so I was set as far as tow line. Like DJ says, I shortened it way up for tight spots and nights with wind and/or current. On the nights where it was somewhat still I'd bring it along side and tie it up with the bow a little loose so the wind would push it off the big boat a little and provide an air cushion. When I got ready to go into a very tight spot or during anchoring I'd bring it along side and tie it up very tight against 3 fenders hung vertically from the big boat. I never had a problem and traveled a good bit single handed in a variety of situations. The auto pilot will be your best friend but, needless to say, be very careful! Also, advise bridge tenders that you have "a vessel in tow" when approaching, you will have right of way in most situation's. Before my trip was over I felt very confident in all situations and had the time of my life with my fishing boat along!
Not to hijack but that sounds awesome. I have a 20’ bow rider that is love to have with us. What did you do when going into marinas?
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote