Safety wire for prop shaft bolts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Sherpa
Vessel Make
24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
I had my diver remover my prop, which required balancing/truing and slight reduction of pitch. We had to slide the prop shaft out to provide enough clearance for the prop puller. There was a safety wire connecting the two set bolts on the coupler. I failed to take a photo beforehand and the wire was in poor shape. I assume, of course, there is a proper way to secure the wire (I found this picture online) and I should use stainless steel wire.

Does this look correct? What size wire should I use? I found some .032 "Aviation Safety/Lock Wire" on eBay (1lb canister for $15.79).

P.S. My prop is a 16" Chinese made Hung-Shen HTP-3 heavy thrust. The prop shop said it was "all over the place" and very much needed balancing. Poor quality control in China I reckon. I am looking forward to taking Sherpa out and feeling the difference.

Attachments

• safety-wire-3.jpg
    safety-wire-3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Looks fine. You want to make it so if the bolt starts to unscrew the wire prevents it.
Too bad you need to buy that much wire. It's about 7 lifetimes worth.
Maybe you can mooch some from a friend

West Marine sells a small baggie of SS lockwire for anchor shackles I believe.

Safety wire pliers. Blue Point is the best, imho.

Yes, that is correct. You can emulate safety wire pliers with some needle nose vise grips and slowly twist them so the wire is twisted. Safety wire pliers are great but have limited use in everyday work.

Safety wire pliers are available at Harbor Freight and are cheap but you wont use them enough to wear them out.

I appreciate everyone's response. I looked up a "how to use safety wire pliers" video on Youtube--neat tool! I could probably find some other use for it.

Anchor shackles, rigging, crab pot repair, you name it. Buy the spool of wire.

I installed safety wire on many thousands of
fasteners when working on jet engines in the Air Force. I have had a pair of safety wire pliers in my tool box for the past 40+ years and have used them many times over the years, not for just safety wire.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom