S*tty job today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hjorgan

Head outlet hose split. Had to replace it today. I believe every boat manufacturer should have to replace every hose in a new boat BEFORE it is allowed on the open market.

If only my left arm was 4 inches longer. Putting the outlet hose on the thru-hull was quite the adventure. Hanging upside down, head in betwixt the toilet and the hull, barely reaching the thru-hull. Finally got it snugged down with the required 2 hose clamps.

Got overheated even with the AC running. But, I can now pump out the holding tank. Hopefully the sh*t won't hit the fan.

I'm a bit confused... If it's a new boat, all the hoses would have to be new. Which one split? Where--at the thru-hull or the other end (tank? toilet? Pumpout fitting?)? And finally...almost all hoses have the name of the mfr and other info stamped on them every few feet. What's the brand name and anything else?

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

"If only my left arm was 4 inches longer.

If I get a chance to chat with GOD, I will ask for an extra elbow in my arm.

Won't be fun in high skool, but for a boater WOW!

Head outlet hose split. Had to replace it today. I believe every boat manufacturer should have to replace every hose in a new boat BEFORE it is allowed on the open market.
...AND replace the batteries that they place in those remote corners of the engine room. AND service the packing glands on shafts & rudders. The list goes on. I believe some manufactures never even give a 2nd thought to the drawings presented to them from the NA/design team. What looks good on paper must work in the real world, right???

"If only my left arm was 4 inches longer.

If I get a chance to chat with GOD, I will ask for an extra elbow in my arm.

Won't be fun in high skool, but for a boater WOW!

Please also ask a third hand would be very useful!

L

... I believe some manufactures never even give a 2nd thought to the drawings presented to them from the NA/design team. What looks good on paper must work in the real world, right???

Same thing goes for most manufactured things unless someone on the design team really puts their foot down.

I have encountered many things where the design was just stupid when is comes to servicing. Often the designers don't have any experience working and maintaining the things they build, management says that it'll cost too much to make the design for servicing easier (plus servicing the device is not their problem), or the design engineers say "That'll never break anyway."

I maintain that all design engineers should have at least 3 years operating and maintaining the type of equipment they are going to be designing before they are allowed to design anything.

Never goin' to happen though. Ever.

Somehow, boat designers and manufacturers seem to think that we can dislocate our shoulders at will, bend our elbows backwards, and rotate our wrists 360 degrees.

"I maintain that all design engineers should have at least 3 years operating and maintaining the type of equipment they are going to be designing before they are allowed to design anything.

Never goin' to happen though. Ever."

Perhaps not , but in Germany a few years in a car or truck dealers garage before kollege is considered a great idea.

I'm a bit confused... If it's a new boat, all the hoses would have to be new. Which one split? Where--at the thru-hull or the other end (tank? toilet? Pumpout fitting?)? And finally...almost all hoses have the name of the mfr and other info stamped on them every few feet. What's the brand name and anything else?

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Sorry Ms. Peggy, wasn't real clear. Alcohol and Ben Gay was involved.
The hose was very old and was NOT approved for waste water. It was bilge hose. As we had purchased the boat used, and very seldom used the head (we are day boaters mostly) I hadn't noticed. Replaced with the good stuff. This hose was betwixt the macerator pump and the thru-hull. I could have pulled the toilet out for easier access but managed to redneck thru the pain.

Surveyed a single engine trawler yesterday. I actually had to remove my shirt and pants to get to the rudder stuffing box and steering ram. Sharon thought it was hilarious .... she had the camera. Even then I never actually saw the rudder stuffing box but Sharon passed me the camera and I managed to shove it between my legs to get this shot of the rudder stuffing box.

Attachments

• Wallace 1.JPG
    Wallace 1.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Wallace 2.JPG
    Wallace 2.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 68
  • leaking stock.jpg
    leaking stock.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 61
And I thought that access was tight on my twin engine boat.

Good lord! When we find our "perfect trawler" access to service areas will be a key consideration.

--Peggie

You take things too seriously. Perhaps it’s “new” to him. Sheesh.

If only my left arm was 4 inches longer. Putting the outlet hose on the thru-hull was quite the adventure. Hanging upside down, head in betwixt the toilet and the hull, barely reaching the thru-hull. Finally got it snugged down with the required 2 hose clamps.

Got overheated even with the AC running. But, I can now pump out the holding tank. Hopefully the sh*t won't hit the fan.

Having just done this yesterday, I can tell you that heat is a wonderful thing. I used a simple hair dryer to heat the hose up when I needed it to bend a certain way, like making the 90 degree turn in the bilge area.

Took me two days to figure out that I could heat it up making it more supple and get it to do what I wanted, instead of fighting it.

You take things too seriously. Perhaps it’s “new” to him. Sheesh.

He's just saying that when a new boat design is conjured up, the yard should take access to components, for maintenance, into consideration.

It’s the boat builders that are the bad guys. Putting things where one cannot reach them properly. Installing systems and then putting the deck or liner in so access goes away. Installers mounting things, thusly blocking access to previously installed items. Multi-barbed hose barbs, mackiing cutting the expensive hose necessary.

Be Nice

Toocoys,
When I read your apology to Peggy the other day, I thought that it was classy, but apparently you still have an issue with Peggy! Upon reading the OP, I can see how ANYONE may have thought he was talking about a new boat. So, I would suggest that in future you refrain from being overly critical (in other words having something personal against) of Peggy. Your comment was not necessary and did not add to the discussion. Normally I would not comment on your statement, but it appears that you are going to "be on her case" whenever she posts. As has been stated before, she offers lots of good advise in an area where she has great knowledge.
It is not my intent to "start something with you", but from my view, it appears that you are forming a pattern here. In future, maybe you should just not comment on her posts, at least not in a "personal" way.

Good luck with all of your boat projects and I hope that you can get your boat into the condition you desire without too much adversity or expense.

Regards,
Tom

I was referring to Pegs post, not his. I understand what he meant.

Back
Top Bottom