Galley fuel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chc

Vessel Name
Scooter
Vessel Make
1984 Californian 34 LRC
Hi & Merry Christmas;

Our 1984 Californian 34 has CNG as the fuel source for the galley stove/oven combination. The tanks are located, excitingly enough, in the engine room. As far as I can tell, this is an original installation. The problem we had on the ICW trip was locating a source for refilling the CNG tanks. At least on the East coast, we only found it in Annapolis & Oriental, NC. My thinking is to change over to LPG, but I'd like to know what other boats have for galley fuel. If LPG is on board, where is the locker located? I'm thinking of crafting locker type steps under the cockpit gates, but as of yet haven't approached the issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris,

My LPG tanks are under the flybridge helm in the vented, isolated compartment. The area is vented stbd and port. This provides LPG for my stove and oven.

Mine is in a sealed container with its own breather located on the starboard side of the flybridge beside the helm chair and it does not get in the way. We also have an extra switch beside the oven that must be turned on to flow gas.

Thanks, I certainly appreciate the input. I modified the port side of my bridge to incorporate lockers for all the stuff that ends up on the bridge while underway; binocs, charts, etc. Then really got carried away, & put in a portable table on the stbd side for lunches, etc. while underway & cocktails while at anchor. Has to be removable as the boss puts her feet up while supervising the helming stuff. To further complicate that location for LPG tanks, the compartment under the panel is loaded with all sorts of wiring & buss bars. Not a place for LPG. It would be ideal on the stbd side as I could just run the lines down to the galley. Possibly some modifications to the cabinet on the port side......
Thanks & have a great holiday season

download.spark
download.spark

-- Edited by chc on Wednesday 21st of December 2011 08:18:34 PM

My propane locker is on the port side, under the cockpit bench seat. The 2 burner propane stove, however, is on the starboard side of the boat. The galley sure doesn't look like much but with a microwave behind a louvered door, below the cook top, it works really well! The helm seat hinges forward for more counter space. Betweenthe electric skillet & the microwave, my wife is quite happy with the set up. Everything runs off a 3000 watt inverter. We almost never use the propane cook top unless it's a long weekend and we are conserving the 3 AGM batteries.

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 129
  • helm seat & galley.jpg
    helm seat & galley.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 147

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom