Buying a Canadian boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Slow Lane
Vessel Make
2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Guys, what's involved in buying a recreational Canadian boat and using it as a recreational boat here in the US?

How long of a process does it add to the normal purchase time?

Pros and cons to buying a Canadian boat?

I'm asking because there's a few boats which I like that are north of the border! Should I immediately get them out of my mind and move on? LOL

I'm asking because there's a few boats which I like that are north of the border! Should I immediately get them out of my mind and move on? LOL

Another solution is to come to live here, you will see Canadians are warm and welcoming people :D

L

If it was built in USA or CA there should not be a federal import duty.
You may have state sales tax when you go to get it registered in your state.
If it is CA documented vessel, that can be undone to get it off their registries.
You may need to tell Uncle Sam if you're moving more than $10K over the border. And not sure if it is better to do the transaction up there or down here, look into that too.

Lots more on a Google search... boat registration, cruising permits, duty, clearing customs, vat You may need to contact a broker/importer who does a lot of this sort of transactions.

Yeah, there are some good deals to be had out there. Happy hunting!

If it was built in USA or CA there should not be a federal import duty.
You may have state sales tax when you go to get it registered in your state.
If it is CA documented vessel, that can be undone to get it off their registries.
You may need to tell Uncle Sam if you're moving more than $10K over the border. And not sure if it is better to do the transaction up there or down here, look into that too.

Lots more on a Google search... boat registration, cruising permits, duty, clearing customs, vat You may need to contact a broker/importer who does a lot of this sort of transactions.

Yeah, there are some good deals to be had out there. Happy hunting!

Your latest presidential trade war may have changed the game. Check with your Border guys.

Without that, many Canadian boats are sold to the US every year that our dollar is cheaper than yours.
Yes, there are forms to fill out at the border. There is likely a fee for those forms, just as there is for going the other way.
Yes you will need to pay your local sales taxes, but you would if you buy a US boat, so that doesn't add anything.
Your $ goes 1.3 times further up here, so that will give you some incentive to see what we have to sell.

The process, once you understand it is easily navigable. I have brought 2 Motorhomes, 2 trailers and 1 car through the border from US to Canada in the last few years. Easy and well worth it. Going the other way should be just as easy.

I just did this two weeks ago and brought it through the port of entry in Oswego, NY. It can be easy and you *might* be able to accomplish it without using a Customs Broker. You want to be very sure that your paperwork is complete and perfect. If you've found something you have or intend to make an offer on send me a PM and I'll step through the ;process I experienced. Be advised - each individual US Customs Officer has discretionary power - so things can change depending on who you talk to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom