View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 02:28 AM   #105
Insequent
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
After a being a little bit uncomfortable overnighting at the south end of Ribbon # 10 reef I decided two things. First, I will add those flopper stoppers discussed a few posts above! Second, best to anchor away from the openings between the Ribbons as the swell & current will not align with wind direction!

My next night was near the south end of Ribbon #5 reef. The C-map chart indicated a section of less than 10m (shallow section 8.9m). But my track goes across the 'reef'. In the 10m zone there was 20m depth (minimum depth to coral heads 8.9m). Whereas the green 'reef' is an envelope of reef and isolated coral heads.

I was anchored in 10m water depth. Winding my way in past the isolated coral heads, with just a metre or two of water over the top of them, was straightforward as I had high sun angle and it was low tide. When leaving at a high tide next morning, with low sun angle, the coral was still visible but of course I just went back out on exactly the same track as I had entered until I could see a clear stretch of deep water to join my next route south.
Attached Thumbnails
Ribbon 5 anchor.png