Teak Dowel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You want me to pass judgement on your avatar?

Folks that make their own plugs usually have less problems with the plug sheering off at an angle.

Usually the grain is better in the owners scrap pile than a "make a million" plug operation.

The pull saws with the kerf on one side can be laid on a piece of paper with a hole the plug sticks thru , to get nice and close with no damage to the area.

FF wrote:The pull saws with the kerf on one side can be laid on a piece of paper with a hole the plug sticks thru , to get nice and close with no damage to the area.
Good point. If you only have a few plugs to do that is as good as a chisel and takes less practice.

The Japanese make some very good pull saws with offset blades and they are not very expensive either.

I used the chisel and had trouble. I then bought and used a Japanese pull saw that has tooth set only on one side, made for plug trimming [Lee Valley Tools]. The saw leaves just a hair of wood which I then either sand down or I use the chisel with the blade slid sideways across the plug to shave, rather than just plow full across.
The shaveing is quick and clean. Then a bit of a sand.

Back
Top Bottom