Door Glides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I am replacing door rollers and saw that the door glides are slightly worn and need replacement.

What is this stuff?

Or, what should I be using. I need very little of it so the cost/sq. ft. isn't an issue.

John

Attachments

• Door glide.jpg
    Door glide.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 68
I am replacing door rollers and saw that the door glides are slightly worn and need replacement.

What is this stuff?

Or, what should I be using. I need very little of it so the cost/sq. ft. isn't an issue.

John

If you are planning on fabricating something your self I'd go look for a piece of sheet nylon. That is what I've seen traditionally used for that purpose.

Thanks NWS,

I looked at an old thread on the subject and it seems there are several material choices, nylon, Teflon, Delfin.

Just looking for guidance as to what is the best. I will be fashioning these blocks myself, none are bigger than 1 x 2 inches.

John

Delrin will be a bit more resistant to wear. HDPE is available in various grades, and a dizzying selection of shapes. I've purchased lots of different items from McMaster-Carr, they're very easy to work with, have a HUGE inventory and very fast delivery. I've been using them for industrial supplies for a long time, always a good experience.

There's a guide chart on their website for selecting plastics, very helpful.

Starboard, a highly pigmented HDPE, would also be a reasonable material to use. Not as hard as Nylon or Delrin but at least in the boating world maybe more readily available. Certainly easy to fabricate.
But any of them will work.

HDMW High Density Molecular Weight plastic is what I would use. Wears better and will slide better. HDPE will wear out faster sa it is softer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom