Oil temp sensor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
I would like to fit an oil temperature sensor on my engine, what would be the best place where to fit it?
Can I for example add a T fitting between sump and filter and fit the sensor in it?
Thank you for any advice.

L

How about a magnetic sensor stuck to the side of the oil pan or oil filter.? It will read the same for a whole lot less work.

Oil temperature! No I have no means to read our engines’ oil temperature although I have given some thought to their temperatures. Both of my 454’s have oil coolers and my engines typically run with temperatures around 180F.

My cars run at least in the 190F range without a cooler and engines today run well over 100K miles. I won’t live long enough to see anywhere near the hours in my boat’s engines to equal that in my car. So what benefits are there with ‘cool’ oil?

Down stream of the oil cooler is best. But anywhere is better than nothing.

How about a magnetic sensor stuck to the side of the oil pan or oil filter.? It will read the same for a whole lot less work.
Did not know magnetic sensor were available I will look at them, thank you!

L

Oil temperature! No I have no means to read our engines’ oil temperature although I have given some thought to their temperatures. Both of my 454’s have oil coolers and my engines typically run with temperatures around 180F.

My cars run at least in the 190F range without a cooler and engines today run well over 100K miles. I won’t live long enough to see anywhere near the hours in my boat’s engines to equal that in my car. So what benefits are there with ‘cool’ oil?
My goal is to be able to monitor oil temp without always going to ER with the heat gun. Now that I removed the oil cooler I just want to be able to monitor it to avoid any potential issue due to oil being to hot.

L

Down stream of the oil cooler is best. But anywhere is better than nothing.
I removed the oil cooler ;)
My question was more about the connection, is using a T fitting to fit the probe ok or should the probe be in the oil "flow" ( not sure I am clear though ).

L

My goal is to be able to monitor oil temp without always going to ER with the heat gun. Now that I removed the oil cooler I just want to be able to monitor it to avoid any potential issue due to oil being to hot.

L

Interesting! I alluded to possibly removing mine at some future time when they require replacements.

Interesting! I alluded to possibly removing mine at some future time when they require replacements.
After 2 test run without oil cooler looks like it is better without it but still I would like to easily keep an eye on the oil temp.

L

I removed the oil cooler ;)
My question was more about the connection, is using a T fitting to fit the probe ok or should the probe be in the oil "flow" ( not sure I am clear though ).

L

Without an oil cooler It won't make a significant difference where you put the sensor. Just put it somewhere you can get to within reason in case it fails.

Try looking at the oil pan. SOmetimes there are additional threaded ports which may allow you to install one in the sump oil.

Without an oil cooler It won't make a significant difference where you put the sensor. Just put it somewhere you can get to within reason in case it fails.
I guess the easiest fit would be to add a T at the oil filter housing where the oil comes out of the sump, ts should be the hottest and would be also very easy to access.

Thank you.

L

The in and out line for the oil removed cooler would be a good spot as it will show the hottest temperature coming out of the engine.

Only you can decide if its "too" hot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom