Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only had 1 hour to spend at the boat today and that all that was needed to finish applying the foam to the last two window shrouds. I’ll bring them home tomorrow and set them aside for when I return from holidays and begin making tamplates so I can begin sewing French seams on the routered faced edge with my sewing machine. The leather covers are going to look great.

IMG_3008.jpg
IMG_3009.JPG

Damn, Matt - that stitching looks great. You're hired!! :thumb:

Damn, Matt - that stitching looks great. You're hired!! :thumb:

No no I didn’t do them mate. That’s just some image I got from a google search to help show you guys the type of stitch I plan on doing :)

The Leather shroud will be the tan colour the same as the helm and have white contrasting V92 thread stitching

As long as I was doing upholstery, I never heard those stitches called French. We called them a double fold or parallel.

Only had 1 hour to spend at the boat today and that all that was needed to finish applying the foam to the last two window shrouds. I’ll bring them home tomorrow and set them aside for when I return from holidays and begin making tamplates so I can begin sewing French seams on the routered faced edge with my sewing machine. The leather covers are going to look great.

View attachment 79497
View attachment 79498

Can't wait to see the final product!

Gday folks.
Last day of holidays today. Looking forward to getting back to SOLSTICE. Just thought I’d share a little visit I had to “SARCA Central” at Anchorright to see Joy, Rex and their family in Melbourne. Great to see behind the scenes. The quality really is second to none. Okie dokie back to holiday mode. See you all Monday

IMG_0073.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_3637.jpg
IMG_3635.jpg
IMG_3636.jpg
IMG_0076.jpg
IMG_3630.jpg
IMG_3632.jpg

Didn`t realize Rex Francis actually makes them,thought by now it could be contracted out. Impressive that it`s not and Rex is still building them from scratch. Looks cold in Melbourne.
I`m gradually seeing more Sarcas in Sydney,and there are good performance reports. Odd that Whitworths don`t stock them, but some other chandlers do.

Good looking family-style manufacturing shop! Thanks for photos...

Joy Francis, Rex`s wife, must be elsewhere. We met her at a Sydney Boat Show along with Rex. I have a vague recollection there is a son who works in manufacturing. Impressive that a small specialized anchor design and manufacturer in Melbourne is exporting anchors to Canada(and probably elsewhere), as well as serving the Australia with world class anchors.

Joy Francis, Rex`s wife, must be elsewhere. We met her at a Sydney Boat Show along with Rex. I have a vague recollection there is a son who works in manufacturing. Impressive that a small specialized anchor design and manufacturer in Melbourne is exporting anchors to Canada(and probably elsewhere), as well as serving the Australia with world class anchors.

Joy was there with Flic. They are exporting all over the world. Not just Canada.

IMG_0072.jpg

Hi all. This afternoon I began sewing the leatherette covers. I’ve commandeered the kitchen table and began measuring up. I needed a straight edge so I used my concrete screed. Coming up pretty good imho well not bad for a chippy anyway ;-)

IMG_3679.jpg
IMG_3704.jpg
IMG_3681.jpg
IMG_3693.jpg
IMG_3694.jpg
IMG_3696.jpg
IMG_3698.jpg
IMG_3700.jpg
IMG_3701.jpg
IMG_3703.jpg

Is there anything that you don't master? Impressive skills you have!

L

Is there anything that you don't master? Impressive skills you have!

L

Dunno about that mate. I couldn’t have made it without a little help from YouTube, google and the sailrite videos. With the right tools anyone can make anything if they want to.

Dunno about that mate. I couldn’t have made it without a little help from YouTube, google and the sailrite videos. With the right tools anyone can make anything if they want to.

More darn good work ... me Mate! :thumb:

Operative phrase/word is in bold above!!

Excellent work on those covers and the trim panels. With the skills you're building while building and finishing your boat, you should never be without fall back work. When I was in the upholstery business, just covering those trim panels would have been around $100US each and that was back in the 90's.

Excellent work on those covers and the trim panels. With the skills you're building while building and finishing your boat, you should never be without fall back work. When I was in the upholstery business, just covering those trim panels would have been around $100US each and that was back in the 90's.

LOL, nothing on a boat cost $100. Everything costs MORE>

Awsome awesome awesome. ..walking foot machine? What material you using? Are you concerned about the foam backing failing or degrading?

I do have a billion questions for you master...lol
Few at a time...lol

Thanks mate :)

Awsome awesome awesome. ..walking foot machine? What material you using? Are you concerned about the foam backing failing or degrading?

I do have a billion questions for you master...lol
Few at a time...lol

Yeah mate it’s a sailrite machine. The material I used for the window shroud/frame was HMR MDF, Epoxy resin and glass mat, spray glue was Probond SG400, the foam is from Dunlop, the leatherette is Nordic marine grade vinyl and the thread is UV resistant dabond 2000. Not concerned at all about the foam. It comes with a 30yr warranty

Couple more hrs on the sewing machine this afternoon and I squared away 2 more shroud covers. These ones were a little tricky with extra French seams being added to the top and bottom sections and making sure they all lined up. I think they look great so far. Can wait to stretch the covers out and staple them in place. Should look the ducks. But first I have 1 left to make before I do that.

IMG_3725.jpg
IMG_3730.jpg
IMG_3723.jpg
IMG_3722.jpg
IMG_3728.jpg
IMG_3726.jpg

You are Amazzzingly Driven! Can hardly wait for the BIG Splash!!

Back
Top Bottom