Yanmar YM30 questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kolive

Guru
Hello,

We are looking at a trailerable trawler that has a Yanmar YM30 engine with 925 hours on it. I am not familiar with Yanmars and was hoping to find someone familiar with them to give me some ideas of how reliable they are, maintainance issues and overall impressions.

Thanks,

Keith and Katie Olive

I had a similar but a bit older Yanmar in my first trawler. A Yanmar 3HM35F.

The only maintenance problem was a small easily fixed seawater leak on the front of the manifold. Also There was a light harmonic vibration I didn’t like but I think that came from the hull structure. The Yanmar engine mounts were very soft.

Not as quiet as my present engine but I liked it and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another based on this experience.

Thanks Eric.

I am checking the serial number to see if the Yanmar advisory applies to this engine as well.

100% reliability on mine. Simple engine and easy to maintain. Quick starting. Parts readily available.

I started the engine once without opening seacock. Impeller wasn't happy. Found the pieces in the front of the heat exchanger. It's a small engine so not a lot of room to swing wrenches but technically it was a simple job. It's based upon the 3GM so a lot of repair/maintenance info on the web.

Wouldn't hesitate to cross the Atlantic with it.

SoWhat,

Thanks for the info! Nice to hear. What boat do you have your in?

Keith

We have one in IRENE, which we have NOT owned for too long. I have done some considerable reading and general maintenance on her, and I have yet to find anything undesirable. It has less than 40 hours on it, but I am adding a few per month.

A family member has this engine in a piece of construction equipment. He says it runs at WOT all day efficiently and without complaint (probably a different WOT than our marine applications).

Should be a dependable motor...

This is wonderful to read! Can't stay away from the water...

Melissa, no kidding! It is very difficult.
We are trying to figure out if we can still do this just in a different fashion maybe.

SoWhat,
Thanks for the info! Nice to hear. What boat do you have your in?
Keith

Ericson 31 cutter rig. Now have twin Lehman P90's in my trawler. Also simple, reliable and easy to maintain although maintenance is a little more frequent.

Remembered tweaking the prop pitch to get max speed out of 3YM. Prior prop hit max rpm but I wasn't convinced I was getting enough speed. I used to run it all day at 1800 rpm. Never missed a beat.

Recommend installing a racor to separate out water from fuel if boat doesn't have one already.

Thanks SoWhat. Nice to get info like this from the forum.

Eric, yes we are looking at the A25 again. Haven’t decided how done we are with boating, kind of hard to stop cruising.

Think’in along those lines too Keith.
The A25 is one of the best boats ever built.

Eric,

I think it is too. We have always looked at our time with an A25 as some of the best.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom