View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
guy with a boat
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Florida trip planning help for a west coast guy?

I'm under contract to buy a 63' trawler that is located in Florida. Assuming we make it through survey, it will close sometime in September. I plan to move the boat to Vancouver or Victoria no later than early spring to prepare for cruising in BC and Alaska for the summer season.

So I expect to find myself with a boat in Fort Lauderdale or Stuart from about October 1 to February or so. Can any of you Florida locals or experienced east coast cruisers help me out with some suggested destinations and/or routes to use the boat this winter? I would like to take advantage of the location and visit some favorite spots along the Florida coast and/or Bahamas, or even out into the Caribbean. Where would you go if you had 4 or 5 weeks (a week or 2 at a time) over the winter to experience the best of the area?

We will spend some time nearby learning and shaking down the boat first, but would like to get out and cruise after that. My wife and I will be on the boat and likely another couple. I don't want to look back after the boat is on the west coast and wish I had done this or that while I was in Florida and had the chance. So it's pretty wide open - what would you do?
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote