View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #17
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Some great advice here, really appreciate everyone's help. I didn't mean to infer that we need to move at 25-35 kts, that is what we cruise at now in our CC. I think a cruise of 10-12kts would be plenty. A couple reasons we don't want a Sport fish is no lower helm(usually), they're usually too tall for our covered slip(15' max height) and fuel burn. We aren't big game fishermen, just like to be on the water and wet a line. Think Snapper, Ling, Amberjack etc. I also think that if we were able to just poke around, maybe head 10-12 miles out, anchor and fish we'd be satisfied. I doubt we'd go 50 miles out very often anymore, just meant that should we decide to do so and the weather pics up that our boat is seaworthy and will get us home. We've been in some pretty nasty stuff out there and it doesn't bother us much, we can take it but can the boat?

The more I think about the more I realize we'd probably be happy just a few miles out on the hook just enjoying the evening, catching a couple fish, hanging out and relaxing.
You're playing mental games on yourself. "The more I realize we'd probably be happy" when you're talking about a major change. Sure sounds to me like you're trying to talk yourself into it. "10-12 knots would be plenty". Don't run your existing boat over 12 knots for the next month of use, then come back and say you still believe that. No lower helm, I tend to agree but a lot of people don't agree with you or me on. There are some SF types with lower helms, although not many. Then one that really bothers me, limiting the boat you're going to buy to an existing slip. You just eliminated nearly every flybridge and your electronics on the ones you didn't eliminate.

Now, it's your choice, but do consider what is leading you to these choices and if it's leading you away from your ideal boat. Finding your perfect boat is difficult but please be sure it's based on your true desires for boating.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote