Custom windows for Grand Banks 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westiculo

Vessel Name
Rose Mary
Vessel Make
42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Thought I might post for a project I started on, windows for my GB42.

Making your own windows does not sound like the path of least resistance but a perfect storm of problems with my current GB windows (the aluminum model) combined with a lack of proper replacement options made me start this journey.

PROBLEMS WITH THE CURRENT WINDOWS:
My current windows are the aluminum version with laminated glass. The glass is permanently etched, I have 5 broken panes, the edge pile trim is shot where it's supposed to seal against the sliding pane, and 80% of the panes have condensation between the laminate layers. The frames themselves have the paint peeling off, galvanic corrosion where the snaps were installed, all need to be re-bedded, and all desperately need new tracks. It would require significant effort to remove the paint, scrape off the old silicone and repair all the areas where the stainless snaps turned the aluminum to dust; the only reasonable way forward here is a sandblaster - doable, but expensive. The other problem - and this is well addressed on the GB forum - is that the slot for putting new track in GBs aluminum models is too narrow to fit the standard stanpro track, making sourcing new track incredibly difficult.

PROBLEMS WITH COMMERCIALLY-AVAILABLE REPLACEMENT WINDOWS:
Most replacement windows are aluminum. On the offset, this is a problem because I live in Boston. Condensation on the window frames in the winter causes the same problems as clogged weep-holes for the window tracks. Regardless, I would have chosen this option if there were any attractive offerings. In my opinion, most of the new models retract from the look of a classic boat and are very expensive.

MY OWN DESIGN:
My windows are constructed from marine mahogany ply with a coat of epoxy followed by thickened epoxy, awlgrip primer, and awlgrip. I used ply because the window frames could be cut from a single piece of wood, making them stronger and simpler to build with round corners. The glass itself is double pane tempered with a low-e coating made by OneDayGlass (the same company as Motion Windows). I got rid of all sliding windows. All opening windows are awning (like portlights) and the large windows on the side of the salon are fixed. There are awning windows in the salon that will open outward in the windshield and aft-facing window. The pics here show the start and end results and the design. I'll post a few more of construction below.

Attachments

• Original Frame.jpg
    Original Frame.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Opening Design.jpg
    Opening Design.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Fixed Design.jpg
    Fixed Design.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Final Product.jpg
    Final Product.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 150
  • First aft window installed.jpg
    First aft window installed.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Installed Corner.jpg
    Installed Corner.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Open.jpg
    Open.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Window Held Open.jpg
    Window Held Open.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Closed.jpg
    Closed.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Holder Open Latch.jpg
    Holder Open Latch.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 140
Pictures from construction.

Attachments

• DSC_0412.jpg
    DSC_0412.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_0413.jpg
    DSC_0413.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0411.jpg
    DSC_0411.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Fixed Profile.jpg
    Fixed Profile.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Fixed Profile on End.jpg
    Fixed Profile on End.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Awlgrip Frames.jpg
    Awlgrip Frames.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Wall Opening.jpg
    Wall Opening.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Out and Ready to Install.jpg
    Out and Ready to Install.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 137
  • The Install.jpg
    The Install.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 134
  • _MG_9889.jpg
    _MG_9889.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 127
Pictures from construction.

What a great project! Fix a recurrent problem so that it wont happen again, Improve the looks of your boat, DIY so you get a perfect job at way less cost and great bragging rights!

Greetings,
Mr. W. NICE job! Have you made provision for easy removal IF there are, perish the thought, future problems?

Wow, what a beautiful job! You are quite the craftsman.

Cheers, Bill

Thanks guys.
For replacing a pane on these you have to take the interior teak trim off for the fixed ones and pull the glass out; it's stuck to the exterior frame with butyl tape so that shouldn't be terrible.
The exterior frames are attached with 3m 4000, no screws.
Hopefully those wouldn't be too bad to pry off though I would be a little worried about it. It seems like a tough balance to not use too much sealant, but use enough where stuff doesn't end up coming apart.

As a former GB owner ('91) with wood frames, but still the same sliders, I applaud your effort and results. The Awlgrip finish will be long lasting and the new type of opening is a vast improvement over the original. Very nice job.

Back
Top Bottom