The Last Manatee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiDHo

Guru
Just saw a listing for hull #99, a 1992 for sale on Boat Trader for $149,990. Listing says it has stabilizers, the midship area below deck is very tight must be a fun place to work on them.
Looks good if you're in the market for a manatee.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Boat

I have always been fond of the Manatee. If economical coastal cruising by a single or couple is your mission, then it would be a great option.

Nice listing, thanks for sharing.

We looked hard at 99 in 2010 at Panama City. I think the asking price was 160K. Seller, nice guy with a recently purchased 2nd bigger boat, invited us to overnight on 99 & we used the time to inspect from stem to stern. We immediately notice the lack of some interior teak & was told being the last hull, the finish carpenters cut some corners. As soon as we closed the boat up for the night a foul smell from a cracked & seeping fiberglass holding tank became evident. Overall the boat was in below average & would need lots of cosmetic work. It did have working stabilizers but servicing them would have been very difficult. With its issues & being 500 miles from our home we chose to pass. The trip clarified our decision to make a (successful) offer on the only TX Manatee.

A few months later we heard 99 was repossessed & sold for less than 90K.

I didn't know Manatees had stabilizers. What brand/type?

99 is the only stabilized Manatee I’ve seen but Healhustler may know of more. Krogen designed the Manatee for the most comfortable & efficient coastal cruising for one or two persons. The infamous KK36 Manatee has been to the Bahamas numerous times & deep into the Caribbean at least once. She’s now on its 29th loop.

Last edited:
Mango Mama has stabilizers.

The infamous KK36 Manatee has been to the Bahamas numerous times & deep into the Caribbean at least once. She’s now on its 29th loop.

I saw her upbound in the St. Clair River once a few years back. How has she earned the 'infamous' tag?

I saw her upbound in the St. Clair River once a few years back. How has she earned the 'infamous' tag?

She's been on the go since her initial launch in the mid-80s, one owner, has completed 28 "loops" & has by far more miles under her keel than probably 99% of all the trawlers ever built.

#99, and Manatees in general I suspect, look like very liveable boats for 36 feet.

The only thing I dont like about #99 is that settee. I'd have to pull that out and put a nice real couch in there. Maybe one with recliners on the end.

Agreed they are very livable boats for their size, but I wonder how one would single hand dock it when you’re sitting on top of it. Any owners out there who might comment on this?

Agreed they are very livable boats for their size, but I wonder how one would single hand dock it when you’re sitting on top of it. Any owners out there who might comment on this?

That’s the single biggest reason I’ve never considered one. That’s a lot of freeboard, and I just know I’d either crash the boat or break an ankle having to shimmy my big ass down a ladder to get a line out.

HEY JUDE, where is she? Because I'd LOVE to see her!

We’re at Blue Dolphin, pier 6. We’re scheduled to haul out in Sept to complete the total new electronic install. All we’re lacking is the thru hull transducer.

Living in the Hill Country precludes us enjoying HJ as much as we wish.

Last edited:
We’re at Blue Dolphin, pier 6. We’re scheduled to haul out in Sept to complete the total new electronic install. All we’re lacking is the thru hull transducer.

Living in the Hill Country precludes us enjoying HJ as much as we wish.

Oh yeah, you told me that in a PM. Sorry.

Well, I’ve been an single-handed owner for 8 years and I haven’t had a situation that gave me more issue than other boats I’ve owned, and it has only been other’s concerned comments that provoked me to add cleats here and there. In the PNW, where floating docks are more common, perhaps it would be more critical. For the most part, I step outsde the pilothouse and either loop a spring line over a piling or drop it on a dock cleat, then to the upper deck cleat next to the pilothouse door amidships. Easy.

Re: Mango Mama, the stabilizers are pneumatic units, much faster reacting and deeper in the water. The owner had to deepen the keel by about 6” or so to protect from an accidental grounding of the fins on their down stroke, so the draft is now 3’8”. Extending the keel may have had an effect on rudder response, so he also modified the rudder to the articulating design. He recently retired the Volvo TAMD 31 100HP and refit a 4LH-HTE Yanmar at 140 HP. It’s surely one of the very best examples out there.

Re Hull 99: Thanks for your first hand review, Phil (Hey Jude) of your sea trial some years ago. The photos of 99 look as if work has been done, especially to the deck. 99 should have a few differences, including the larger 1 1/8” rails, shallower galley cabinets and some altered interior sole construction which reportedly made for increased headroom but squeezed the machinery space a bit. I never understood this considering that there was already 7’ headroom in the galley, shower and head. The last 10 or so units were allegedly built by the Jonson Yard in Taiwan instead of the traditional Chen Hwa.

Last edited:
:iagree: Larry, almost never have a problem docking. The big rudder makes for easy manuvering . We,ve cruised ours going on 12 years thrusterless but feel the urge one day to add one. For now a 100’ long dock line on the bow works for us and prudent management of wind direction and strength.
I talked with the owners of “Manatee “ I think they where on thier 24th loop at the time. They had worn out three engines so far, I think they said they bought the manatee in 1986 new and had lived aboard to date. I was interested about the water tight pilothouse doors they added during the pilothouse remodel.
Very interesting couple, great to hear there still looping.
I hope one day they write a guide book.
Bill

Last edited:
Gotta tell you, Bill, don’t waste your money on a 5 HP thruster if you do. In a windy fairway, it just doesn’t help much. I changed out my 3 blade prop for a 6 blade replacement, but it didn’t make any difference. The original Cool Beans (formerly Fat Chance) had an 8 HP unit that really gave it that initial kick to produce instant momentum. Once the boat is moving, it’s not so bad.

Prefer a boat where the deck and pilothouse is within a step from a floating dock. Please, no stairs.

Also there’s something to be said for a pilothouse that put your line of sight about 12’ above sea level and 360 degree’s of viewing.

My wife and I were onboard Mango Mama not too long ago. The current owner has spared no expense on her. If I were in the market for a Manatee, I would buy her in a heartbeat.

My wife and I were onboard Mango Mama not too long ago. The current owner has spared no expense on her. If I were in the market for a Manatee, I would buy her in a heartbeat.

Mike: In the spring, Robert & Dody dropped in a low hour Yanmar 140. It’s better than ever.

Mike: In the spring, Robert & Dody dropped in a low hour Yanmar 140. It’s better than ever.

I’m sure it is. We were onboard at Longboat Key about 15 months ago.

I thought this post was about those round, blubbery, cuddly sea things that lived in the sloughs in Florida. Just another boat? Meh.

Listing quotes cruising speed as 9 knots. Is that right?
I passed ‘Manatee’ in the Tombigbee last December. I was at 8 knots and they were quite a bit slower. 7 knots-maybe.

Waterline length is 34’. Maybe 7.5 knots

This is my boat at 8.7 knots. You can’t see that it has a swim platform because it’s inder water, acting like a giant trim tab. Maybe on the perfect day with a perfect bottom, I might be able to touch 9 knots. Most comfortable cruise for us is 7.2-7.5 knots. She begins squating at 8.

The orange Manatee above on the Tombigbee is Ted & Sarah Pongracz aboard the most travelled Mana-Tee, currently on their 29th loop.

Attachments

• AF223F1E-4812-4D95-9779-6DDC427AC5B2.jpg
    AF223F1E-4812-4D95-9779-6DDC427AC5B2.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 89

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom