Is PNW low priced mooring possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try the little marina on Union Slough
Ahh ... it’s “SeaCreast”.

I remember this one. I tried to find it last year, but I got lost and gave up.
Maybe I will visit them again.
Their web site does not load and the phone is not answered. I wonder, if they are still in business?

Our last season in the PNW, we had the same problem. We found Craig’s list worked for 2 months and we could have extended for more than a year. We placed want ads every 3-4 days to keep them fresh. The year before that we found morage by walking the docks on weekends and talking/asking people. Small marinas didn’t have any vacancies till we met the dock manger or the tenants. The face time opened a lot of doors. People want to know their neighbors. Good luck on your search.

The year before that we found morage by walking the docks on weekends and talking/asking people. Small marinas didn’t have any vacancies till we met the dock manger or the tenants. The face time opened a lot of doors. People want to know their neighbors. Good luck on your search.

This definitely works for some but not others.
If you're nice and look like this, then yes white couple.jpg
If you're nice and look like this, probably not.homeless couple.jpg
If you're nice and look like this, maybe black couple.jpg

I find that if you don't resemble the first example, it might serve you well to build a relationship via phone or email before showing up.

Last edited:
A couple years ago I inquired about a condominium slip for sale at the Duwamish Yacht club that was shockingly cheap. It was 4 or 5 miles from Downtown Seattle. I don't remember the exact price, or size but it was something like $25,000 for a 45Ft slip, with a couple hundred bucks a month dues. They might be worth checking out. It had secure parking, a caretaker, showers, clubhouse, and even a storage shed. I think liveaboards were allowed too.

A couple years ago I inquired about a condominium slip for sale at the Duwamish Yacht club that was shockingly cheap. It was 4 or 5 miles from Downtown Seattle. I don't remember the exact price, or size but it was something like $25,000 for a 45Ft slip, with a couple hundred bucks a month dues. They might be worth checking out. It had secure parking, a caretaker, showers, clubhouse, and even a storage shed. I think liveaboards were allowed too.

Interesting as Condominium slips are often available here at reasonable prices, although reasonable here is many times the $25,000 there. Still condominiums and HOA's built marinas as amenities but often greatly overestimated how many home owners or condo owners would have boats.

Duwamish yacht club is cheap due to contaminated siltting issuses. Make sure understand all the issues facing them before you buy in.

That is very cheap. I bought a condo slip in Gig Harbor back in 2010 (I think it was). It was a bank foreclosure and I made what I thought was a ridiculously low cash offer, far below the reduced asking price. The bank accepted the offer to get it off their books. Even so, it was a lot more than $25,000.

There are always cheaper places, but you have to beat the bushes to find them. I always have found non marina dockage. I haven't docked a private boat in a marina since the 1970s. Except as a transient. Check out waterfront businesses and houses with a dock but no marine use. Some people want extra money from renting their dock. Sometimes with power and water and sometimes not.

I have a private dock on the Columbia where I winter. Before I got it, the po rented space for $4/foot and power but no water. I could put in a well, but just use my watermaker.
Old dilapidated docks with commercial fishing boats is another place to look. In general any area that has commercial boats with few yachts has cheaper dockage.
If you're tied to Seattle because of work, you could consider Kitsap County and ride the ferry. I use to do that as a walk on passenger. I kept a beater car on the Seattle side and it was free to park (at that time) on the Kitsap side. Lotta houses over there with docks, many don't use their dock. I use to cross at Southworth.

The further you get away from Seattle, the better prices are in general.
There is a slough or river on the backside of Everett that has some cheaper docks. I haven't been there, but had a friend that kept a commercial boat there in the off season.
Another possibility is get a cheap powerboat and buy dockage for that and tie the big boat to pilings or anchor out. I do that in Alaska sometimes. I carry a 16' Bayliner for grocery trips.

How do you pumpout when you are docked at a private home? This is something I have always wondered about.

How do you pumpout when you are docked at a private home? This is something I have always wondered about.
I have Incinolet toilets. No sewage. Grey water goes to a evaporation system in a boat house. I got the Incinolets when I bought the current boat in 2011. I didn't want to deal with a large holding tank, no discharge zones or the Coast Guard. Having used the toilets for 7 years I like them. They are normal height, don't smell, only need a wipe to be cleaned.

I have Incinolet toilets. No sewage. .

I would not mind to get rid of my holding tank, too. Plus, my 3 vacuflush toilets. For 2k a toilet, I think it needs to wait. I really like it, though.

Duwamish yacht club is cheap due to contaminated siltting issuses. Make sure understand all the issues facing them before you buy in.

IIRC - Duwamish YC is leasing the land/water from the Duwamish tribe and there are concerns about renewal. That may be driving condo slip values there more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom