Trick Davit Dinghy System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Di Mare
Vessel Make
Mainship 34t
Here are some pictures of the Trick Davit System on my Mainship 34t.* The temp was 45* when the pictures were taken and the dink was a little light on air.* Also I'm experimenting with the davit at the stern of the dink.* Presently I have it shaped to the dink on one side and no hull shape on the side that goes into the water so to gauge the ease of pulling the dink up onto the davits.* That is one of the neat things I like about the system, the arms are adjustable to any hull design.

The kit is $1,250 and is complete with all mounting hardware including three tie down straps. *Everything is made from a Starboard type of material. *I am not affiliated in anyway.* I*just*think the system, for the price is a great value and is an easy install.* I have talked to the owner several times and he is extremely helpful.* I may call and see if we can get a TF special price for the off season if enough folks are interested.

-- Edited by JD on Sunday 18th of December 2011 08:42:03 AM

Attachments

• close up of both davits.jpg
    close up of both davits.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,846
  • bow of dink on davit.jpg
    bow of dink on davit.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,605
  • #8 walk space between stern and dink.jpg
    #8 walk space between stern and dink.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 531
  • #7 close up of pivot point.jpg
    #7 close up of pivot point.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 547
  • #6 close up of mount.jpg
    #6 close up of mount.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 727
  • #5 mount on swim platform and pivot point.jpg
    #5 mount on swim platform and pivot point.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 655
  • #4 stern of dink ii.jpg
    #4 stern of dink ii.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 553
  • #3 stern of dink on davit.jpg
    #3 stern of dink on davit.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,555
  • #2 dink on davit.jpg
    #2 dink on davit.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 1,261
  • #1 stern of boat.jpg
    #1 stern of boat.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 573
Tks JD for the pictures. I don't have my mind made up yet on just what to purchase but this system doesn't look bad for the price. *It seems to be Maint free other than having to replace the straps ( locking mechanism rusting out ) over time, it should be painless.

Q4Y how hard is it to get at the straps to strap it down once you have the dink on the lift? *

Tks
Elwin*

Great job on your photos. How long is your dinghy? (
biggrin.gif
no.gif
)

Walt, That dink is a nine footer but I set it up to take a 10.5 or 11.* I'm going to get a bigger dink this spring.* You can set it up to take most any size but once you get too big weight becomes a factor.* Not so much on the brackets or the platform but in getting it up by yourself.
disbelief.gif
*(I'm as bad as you)

Elwin,* The first time it takes laying down on the platform and I think the front one is always going to be a bit of a pain in that manor but the back one is done without any strain as well as the side one that I have hooked to the handle on the side of the dink.*In fact if you look at the picture that shows the side strap you will notice it*has a long tail.* That makes for an easy adjustment by first snug the strap by hand then taking the tail in your right hand*and*dropping a loop toward the platform.* Put your left foot in the loop and push down while holding firm with the right hand.* This tightens the strap as hard as you may like.* They are a bit of a work in progress right now but I'm sure they will be easy once I have them set as to where I want them.

-- Edited by JD on Sunday 18th of December 2011 11:56:42 AM

I just go off of the phone with the owner of the Trick Davits Company.

He said that he would be happy to talk to anyone on the Forum about their needs and the system.* Mention the Forum for some extra consideration.

So here is his number Jim Trethewey*@ (906) 458-9835 *8-5 EST* Again just a happy customer no other connection

JD, thanks for posting. *It is a very interesting system. *I went of the website, and watched the slide show and video. *It would be interesting to know how a larger, heavier RIB would be handled. *In other words, could one person retrieve a 250+ lb. dinghy by simply sliding it up on the cradle. *I have a come-along to help tilt up my dinghy. *I cannot do it by just pulling a line. *I would sure like to see that done.

Moonstruck wrote:
JD, thanks for posting. *It is a very interesting system. *I went of the website, and watched the slide show and video. *It would be interesting to know how a larger, heavier RIB would be handled. *In other words, could one person retrieve a 250+ lb. dinghy by simply sliding it up on the cradle. *I have a come-along to help tilt up my dinghy. *I cannot do it by just pulling a line. *I would sure like to see that done.
*Don,

He said that he is a pretty big guy 6' over 200# but he says that his son is smaller and weighs in at 150#.* Thats his sone in the videos.*The girl was picked off of the docks one day and she had never done it before.

He also said that his son says that the more you do it the easier it gets because you develop techniques that work for your boat.

JD wrote:
Here are some pictures of the Trick Davit System on my Mainship 34t.* The temp was 45* when the pictures were taken and the dink was a little light on air.* Also I'm experimenting with the davit at the stern of the dink.* Presently I have it shaped to the dink on one side and no hull shape on the side that goes into the water so to gauge the ease of pulling the dink up onto the davits.* That is one of the neat things I like about the system, the arms are adjustable to any hull design.

The kit is $1,250 and is complete with all mounting hardware including three tie down straps. *Everything is made from a Starboard type of material. *I am not affiliated in anyway.* I*just*think the system, for the price is a great value and is an easy install.* I have talked to the owner several times and he is extremely helpful.* I may call and see if we can get a TF special price for the off season if enough folks are interested.

-- Edited by JD on Sunday 18th of December 2011 08:42:03 AM
*I just read your post and wondered about the depth of your swim platform. *Ours is quite narrow (20"s) and also has a small step in the middle of it up to the boarding gate. *I am wondering how the system might work for us.

I think mine is about 29" but I really don't remember.* If you go on line to his web site he has a phone number and you can call him.* He's a nice guy and will answer all of your questions.* You might want to take some pictures of what you have and then you could email them to him after you talk.* I know when I bought mine he said that if didn't fit I could send it back.

Good luck.

JD, I just sent off an email to Jim asking for more info on his system. *I hope you don't mind that I mentioned that I had found his website because of your positive post on Trawler Forum!

After reading this last night I sent an inquiry to the company about the use of their system on a teak swim platform, all of the pics on their site show a glass platform. I received a reply back from Tom and they have a mount specifically for teak platforms. Just thought I'd pass this on.
B

Thanks Bill for the info. I did receive an email back from Jim at Trick Davits in response to my request for more information. *He isn't sure that his system will fit because our swim platform is quite narrow. *Once we have the shrink wrap off Delia Rosa we will send him more accurate measurements and photos. *I hope the system will work for us because it looks like a good solution for storing our dinghy!

Delia Rosa wrote:
JD, I just sent off an email to Jim asking for more info on his system. *I hope you don't mind that I mentioned that I had found his website because of your positive post on Trawler Forum!
*No problem.

A few more questions JD... you are using the extension arms for your installation, so I assume that when you remove the cradle, the extensions remain sticking out from the platform. *I would imagine that removing the extensions would not be a quick task- is that correct?

It also appears that there are several versions of the cradle available - you decided on the adjustable cradle because ????

Last question, did you compare the Trick Davit System to the Hurley Davit System? *http://www.hurleymarine.com/picts/36DavitMounting1.jpg

http://www.hurleymarine.com/picts/36DavitMounting1.jpgIt is similarly priced but I don't know anyone who has actually installed it. At this point, we are really leaning towards the Trick Davit System but just want to cover all our bases. *

As you mentioned, the owner is great and very quick to respond to questions that we have asked!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 03:18:33 PM

Delia Rosa wrote:
A few more questions JD... you are using the extension arms for your installation, so I assume that when you remove the cradle, the extensions remain sticking out from the platform. *I would imagine that removing the extensions would not be a quick task- is that correct?

Yes*the*cradle arms remove with a quick disconnect.* Pull the pin remove the clevis and take the arm off.* But the extenions are through bolted to the swim platform.* See the attached picture.

It also appears that there are several versions of the cradle available - you decided on the adjustable cradle because ????

I think that is the best one because you can make it conform to your dink.

Last question, did you compare the Trick Davit System to the Hurley Davit System? *http://www.hurleymarine.com/picts/36DavitMounting1.jpg

http://www.hurleymarine.com/picts/36DavitMounting1.jpgIt is similarly priced but I don't know anyone who has actually installed it. At this point, we are really leaning towards the Trick Davit System but just want to cover all our bases. *

I wanted to know if they had ever had a Livingston up on theirs and the person I was talking to didn't know.* I asked the folks at Trick and he said he had not but if I decided on his system and it didn't work for any boat he would take it back.* It didn't work on the Livingston and we were disapointed.* But I didn't think any thing elas short of Weaver or Seawise*was going to and they were out of the question price wise.* I had my old inflatable and it worked with it so I kept it.* But he did offer to take it back and that went a long way with me.

As you mentioned, the owner is great and very quick to respond to questions that we have asked!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 03:18:33 PM

download.spark

Did you use a backing plate on the underside of the platform... *and if so does the plate extend beyond the thru bolts that we can see in the picture. - my husband Dan was wondering if there was a lot of load on that first section on the platform. *

By the way, why didn't it work on the Livingston?

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 05:14:32 PM

Delia Rosa wrote:
Did you use a backing plate on the underside of the platform... *and if so does the plate extend beyond the thru bolts that we can see in the picture. - my husband Dan was wondering if there was a lot of load on that first section on the platform. *

By the way, why didn't it work on the Livingston?

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 05:14:32 PM
*The backing plate comes with the system.* It is complete down to all of the bolts and washers and tie downs.

The Livingston didn't work because of the two hulls.* The first one comes up on to the bracket but the second one catches on the bracket and will not let the boat be pulled up with ease.* A mono hull doesn't do that.

Well I think the decision is made. ... Trick Davit Dinghy System it is!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 09:09:56 PM

JD, As low as the rig sits to the water are you concerned that any seas, especially following seas will get under and cause a problem? Chuck

Our new davits from Trick Davit System will arrive on Tuesday.... what a treat Jim was to deal with.... lots of patience with our questions and concerns. Thanks JD for your help along the way!

Hmm, this does show the disadvantage of a foldable swim platform (which I always keep folded up.)

img_80912_0_f3f23c7d964139ec552f12039bacbaa4.jpg

img_80912_1_674951fcb770746c461a6f2f5f80fbc6.jpg

Last edited:
JD, As low as the rig sits to the water are you concerned that any seas, especially following seas will get under and cause a problem? Chuck

Hasn't been. But where we go it should not be a problem. I don't think it would be anymore of a problem than the Weaver with one whole pontoon much closer to the water.

We used the Trick Davit System with the extensions on our trawler platform - a very easy install. As JD mentioned, pretty much everything comes in the package. Because of the wide slats on our swim platform, we did make one change to the mounting system.... we added a 1/4" stainless steel backing plate that ran the full depth of the platform.

We finally launched Delia Rosa a few days ago and and were able to test the launching and retrieving our dinghy with the motor..... the system works very well...

Just wondering what the clearance is from the prop to the water on the outboard, while underway does the stern drop enough to drag the it through the water at any speed?

Trick Dinghy Davits 34T

We read this thread and are very interested about your experience with the trick system. We also have a 2004 34T Mainship and are wondering if there are any drawbacks or regrets about the davits , 1.Can you still walk on the platform? 2. Does the mounting backing plate put too much load on the fiberglass?3. Does the dinghy tie down for rough weather?.I saw Hurley and the Kingston 350 system but the Trick davits look pretty good.We have a Merc 10ft hard bottom rib/9.8 4stroke and are trying to do our homework to get the right davit.Is it holding up- any rust? Thanks, Larry

We are very happy with our Trick Dinghy Davits. Our teak swim platform is quite narrow, so when the dinghy is loaded, you really only have room to adjust the tie down straps, which work very well. When travelling any distance, we do load the dinghy on our upper deck, but it would be equally safe if we left it on the swim platform with the tie downs.... so no regrets at all!

We read this thread and are very interested about your experience with the trick system. We also have a 2004 34T Mainship and are wondering if there are any drawbacks or regrets about the davits , 1.Can you still walk on the platform? 2. Does the mounting backing plate put too much load on the fiberglass?3. Does the dinghy tie down for rough weather?.I saw Hurley and the Kingston 350 system but the Trick davits look pretty good.We have a Merc 10ft hard bottom rib/9.8 4stroke and are trying to do our homework to get the right davit.Is it holding up- any rust? Thanks, Larry

I have the Trick Davit system and as far as the system goes I can find no fault. It holds the dink high enough out of the water that the engine is not a problem if it does hit the water just tilt it up a bit.

My only complaint is that on the 34t Mainship the exhaust is under the water at the port aft. This sends up a bit of diesel film right onto the dink. Because it is mixed with water at the time it can make a mess. I have a cover for the dink but learned the hard way that I need to take the cover off before I leave the dock. I didn't and after a week of running the inside of the cover and the dink was black.

I may remove my Trick system, bite the bullet and get a system that lifts boat high out of the water and mounts on the swim platform. They pivot from the mounting base and lay the dink into the water. Some are hydraulic and some are electrical windlass. All are expensive, we are back to spending $5-6k but I can't have a dirty dink.:mad:

Boat Davits | Lester Power Davits|

Just a reminder Marinas , seasonal or overnight usually bill by the LOA of the boat.

The existing Length overall ,some will measure,

so a stern dink will add perhaps $20 -$25 to any overnight stay, or perhaps a grand to the seasons dock fees.

Caviat Emptur!

Just a reminder Marinas , seasonal or overnight usually bill by the LOA of the boat.

so a stern dink will add perhaps $20 -$25 to any overnight stay, or perhaps a grand to the seasons dock fees.

Caviat Emptur!

Really?!?!?!? That sounds a little nuts to me. Do they come out and measure your boat? I mean, when we get to a marina, we will just walk to the dockmaster's office and he will ask us how long our boat is (or more often they know ahead of time) and just charge us for that. It's never questioned and I don't lie to them. I have to admit that the first time someone comes out and "measures" or says that my dinghy adds another foot or two to the price is probably the last time we visit that marina.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but it's about trust and compromise. I will give you an accurate length of my boat and pay a fair price for dockage, and you (the marina) not try an milk an extra few buck off of us by charging for every inch of airspace we occupy. Sure, there *IS* some gray area there, but that's where we compromise.

Tom-

Caviat Emptur!

Some also round up to the next 5' interval, or add a few feet *just because*, because I was told "your stern/bow isn't flush with the dock"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom