Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's Eye in the Sky. The orchestration on this number is great.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of just about anything that Alan Parsons has done.

I am a huge fan of just about anything that Alan Parsons has done.

Dave, I like most of Alan Parsons' stuff, too. How about posting some of you favorites?

Last edited:
Dave, I like most of Alan Parsons' stuff, too. How about posting some of you favorites?

Gosh, so many.... I tend to like his ballads a lot. Here are three.

“Old and Wise”

A classic, “The Cask of Amontillado”

“Turn of a Friendly Card

A great contribution, Dave. I particularly like Old and Wise.Thanks for slowing us down to contemplate these ballads.

I guess that most have heard the sad news about Aretha Franklin. After a long battle with cancer she is now under hospice care. She is expected to live only a short time. I thought it appropriate to post a song she did in 1967 when she was a young woman. I think we all have R E S P E C T for her talent. Godspeed, Aretha.

Last edited:
Saw this song mentioned in an earlier post. Doc Watson, who was a blind picker, did a nice version of it. Saw him perform this back in the 80s.

One of the things I love to see is younger musicians picking up the ball from the masters. This kid can play!

Quite right, Ian. The young man is very talented. If he can develop his own style we may be looking at the future.:thumb:

Greetings,
Cover songs by a myriad of musicians connected worldwide. I like some of them better than the originals...

Last edited:
RT, thanks. Love the Playing for Change series.

Mel Torme

So far I don`t think we accorded Mel Torme a gig. Solo, with piano,singing "When Sunny Gets Blue". I like the song as much as I like Mel Torme, maybe more.

Thanks, Bruce. Mel Torme is one of my favorites. Just amazing voice control.

For those that may think that I am stuck in the 70s, I kinda am. I think the 70s were one of the best periods for popular American music. Here's on from 1973 by the O'Jays. Here's Love Train.

Fourplay + Chaka Khan

"Between the Sheets" is a Fourplay standard in their smooth jazz genre, here they feature Chaka Khan.

Lots of Fourplay on youtube but most is just album covers, no people, or whole albums. Beware, there is a classical quartet called Fourplay, so it can get confusing.

The Doobie Brothers with Listen to the Music

Last edited:
Great, great band, Don.

Here’s another that they had an amazing groove with.

Here's one from the 70s that I remember from playing on my keyboard and singing. On and On

Here is one from one of most successful recording artists of the 70s, Marvin Gaye with Mercy, Mercy Me.

Another from the 70s by an enduring artist. Play some of Barry White's music late in the evening after a few glasses of wine., and you may get lucky. Just saying . . . .

Another from the 70s by an enduring artist. Play some of Barry White's music late in the evening after a few glasses of wine., and you may get lucky. Just saying . . . .

LOL. When I tell my son he was probably conceived with Yes playing in the background, he puts his hands over both ears and runs out of the room. And not because he doesn’t like Yes.

LOL. When I tell my son he was probably conceived with Yes playing in the background, he puts his hands over both ears and runs out of the room. And not because he doesn’t like Yes.
Somethings just cannot be unheard:).
I was looking for some Rippingtons to post(it will come), and chanced on Aretha and Stevie playing "Till you come back to me". Just had to post it.Doing it for the music, not the money.

Last edited:
Cold nasty day in Sydney, waiting for a Spring now overdue. But it`s raining a little so all is good.
Here are the Rippingtons, classic smooth jazz, very listenable: I`ll be Around, an Al Green song.

Last edited:
Those sure bring back memories, RT. It amazes me how much talent there was in that era. Even one or two-hit wonders were loaded with it. Not that there aren’t a lot great talents today, but it was growing on trees back then.

RTF and any others that may like Marmalade, here is an impressive redo by Dean Ford from 2014.

This one reaches back to the 50s. It meant a lot to me then, and even more now. Here's the Kingston Trio with The Seine

Sadly,according to the youtube screen,play is prohibited in Australia .

Bruce, it's a fairly simple song, and would probably not mean much to anyone but me.

Where is La Mer?

I have missed La Mer's interesting posts. He brought an international flair to our thread. Plus he showed a deep knowledge of American music.

Bruce, it's a fairly simple song, and would probably not mean much to anyone but me.
I`m sure the appeal is wider.
I`m thinking of putting up a Jimmy Barnes(ex Cold Chisel) song. You might hope "music" publishers restrict its play in USA. "Barnsey" says he was born screaming, and has been doing so ever since.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom