Is PNW low priced mooring possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Anyone knows a very affordable mooring for a 50+ boat in the Seattle area?
I am interested in any solution, private dock, sublease, buoy, breakwater pier, etc. Low price is crucial. If that even exist anymore....
Thanks.

Not that many moorings available in our area. Usually it is just dock space. The problem is that in Puget Sound dock space isn’t cheap. The closer to Seattle the more expensive it gets.

Can you go further from Seattle?

There are always cheaper places, but you have to beat the bushes to find them. I always have found non marina dockage. I haven't docked a private boat in a marina since the 1970s. Except as a transient. Check out waterfront businesses and houses with a dock but no marine use. Some people want extra money from renting their dock. Sometimes with power and water and sometimes not.

I have a private dock on the Columbia where I winter. Before I got it, the po rented space for $4/foot and power but no water. I could put in a well, but just use my watermaker.
Old dilapidated docks with commercial fishing boats is another place to look. In general any area that has commercial boats with few yachts has cheaper dockage.
If you're tied to Seattle because of work, you could consider Kitsap County and ride the ferry. I use to do that as a walk on passenger. I kept a beater car on the Seattle side and it was free to park (at that time) on the Kitsap side. Lotta houses over there with docks, many don't use their dock. I use to cross at Southworth.

The further you get away from Seattle, the better prices are in general.
There is a slough or river on the backside of Everett that has some cheaper docks. I haven't been there, but had a friend that kept a commercial boat there in the off season.
Another possibility is get a cheap powerboat and buy dockage for that and tie the big boat to pilings or anchor out. I do that in Alaska sometimes. I carry a 16' Bayliner for grocery trips.

Yes, I can, but I have to commute to downtown for work everyday.

One thought that came to mind was Eagle Harbor. They have cleared out the derelicts over the past several years and have an Open Water Marina (basically moorage) that they started this year. I don’t know the costs or if there are still openings available, but you could take the ferry to Seattle from there and it is a nice spot. Well protected, nice town, and Bainbridge is working hard at maintaining their waterfront heritage.

https://www.bainbridgewa.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4132/OWM-Application-2017

Wifey B: I always love "reasonable" questions. We were amazed how cheap dockage in the PNW was. All a matter of perspective and we were comparing to South Florida and the Bahamas and NYC. :rofl:

Perhaps it would help for one to define "reasonable". What prices are you looking for or hoping for or what prices are you considering "unreasonable?" :ermm:

When I went through New York City it was about $7/ft/night for transients. I didn't call that reasonable. On the other hand in Ramea, Newfoundland, a years dockage for a <26' boat was $20 (Canadian!). Over 26' was the ripoff rate of $60/yr. I'd call that reasonable.

We have friends that used to live aboard in Seattle. They lived in several places including Shilshole and Eagle Harbor. I believe the least expensive moorage by far was at Duwamish Yacht Club.

I know a place where a 20'x60' covered slip in a marina that's less than 10 years old runs around $250/month.

The only problem is it's a loooooong commute to Seattle. About 3.5 hours.

Wifey B:
Perhaps it would help for one to define "reasonable". What prices are you looking for or hoping for or what prices are you considering "unreasonable?" :ermm:

Reasonable is a relative term. To some a 1500-2000/mo fee is acceptable, to me the promotional 600/mo is high. I would pay 2-300/mo happily for my 50+ boat somewhere, with 1-2 hours commute, but it does not exist.
The only place I know is the Eagle Harbor open water mooring, but it requires dinghy commute to shore. In a nasty weather condition, or when emergency repairs are needed; it could be very challenging. Solar system and watermaker is almost a requirement there. They have a one-time only application process, so it is not easy to coordinate the process, even if I'd decided to go there. The 200+/mo price is very attractive, though.
All the others are the same price. Port Orchard, Bremerton, Bainbridge, La Conner, Port Townsend, would charge you $8+/foot/mo. Sometimes have promotions, but it is rare.
Anything closer to Seattle starts at $12/foot and goes up to $18-20/foot. For my boat that means 800-2000/mo mooring fee. Even if I could afford it, I would not pay that much.
South Seattle's Duwamish Yacht Club is priced very reasonably, but there is a big problem there. The bottom is too muddy and it is filling up rapidly. The Club will not renew the lease with the city, because they don't have money to clean the waters. Everybody is trying to sell the slips, but nobody is buying them. So, the prices are low. Perhaps it could work for someone for short term.

Check out waterfront businesses and houses with a dock but no marine use. Some people want extra money from renting their dock. Sometimes with power and water and sometimes not.

Yes, I found one of those and it has almost realized with a very good price, but the owner cancelled it in the last minute. Long story.

Old dilapidated docks with commercial fishing boats is another place to look. In general any area that has commercial boats with few yachts has cheaper dockage.

I like the idea, but parking in Seattle is a mess and expensive. Safe parking, at least. I have two vehicles, a car and a motorcycle.

If you're tied to Seattle because of work, you could consider Kitsap County and ride the ferry. I use to do that as a walk on passenger.

That is what I am doing now. I ride the ferry and light-rail everyday. Long commute and the price is a bit high for me, but I could not find better, yet.

Another possibility is get a cheap powerboat and buy dockage for that and tie the big boat to pilings or anchor out. I do that in Alaska sometimes. I carry a 16' Bayliner for grocery trips.

I am not sure, if could work here in Puget Sound?

Sorry LeoKa. This may sound silly, but if you can't find reasonable moorage near work, would you be in a situation where you could change jobs? The pay would likely be less outside of Seattle, but the cost of living and commute would also be significantly less. I would just shoot myself if I had to commute to Seattle for work.

I know a place where a 20'x60' covered slip in a marina that's less than 10 years old runs around $250/month.

The only problem is it's a loooooong commute to Seattle. About 3.5 hours.

Can you send me that info I’m looking for a winter home for Captain Conner.

Thanks

A lot of people just pitch a tent downtown and walk to work. And it is free.

Sorry LeoKa. This may sound silly, but if you can't find reasonable moorage near work, would you be in a situation where you could change jobs? The pay would likely be less outside of Seattle, but the cost of living and commute would also be significantly less. I would just shoot myself if I had to commute to Seattle for work.

Close to 20 years employment, and few years till retirement; I don't think I want to look for another job.
I completely understand your feelings about the commute.
I just did not want to wait any longer with the boat purchase. I have it now, I just need to figure out the most economical mooring option.

I have it now, I just need to figure out the most economical mooring option.

Make sure you do that in the broadest sense, not the narrow sense of just what the mooring or slip costs. Add in the commute cost and time. Factor something in for pleasure.

As an example, take 2 slips.

Slip A is a 30 mile commute, 1 hour and 10 minutes, but $300 per month.

Slip B is a 5 mile commute, 10 minutes, but $500 per month.

So A initially appears $200 cheaper.

However, add 50 miles per day x 22 workdays per month for 1100 miles at a conservative 25 cents per mile and that is $275.

Then add in the time of 60 hours a month. That can force you to pay for some work you could do yourself, could make you pick up dinner from a restaurant rather than cook, and just generally worsen quality of life. I'm just going to assign it a value of $10/hour although certainly you value your time more than that. So $600.

Now, Slip B is actually $675 per month less expensive.

We tend to underestimate the cost of commuting as we look at gas only, but there are all the variable costs of operating a vehicle including maintenance and tires and the depreciation of the car plus lowering of resale value.

As to time, we tend to way since we're not using that time for work it doesn't carry a value. But that's just not true. First, it's got lifestyle value, the value of time to relax and enjoy. Second, it does force us to pay to get work done, we could do. Third, is eating habits and that's both a health and financial issue. Preparing your own meals, you can probably eat for $10 per day, maximum of $12. Drive through for three meals will cost you at least $14 per day. Picking up a decent dinner or eating in a restaurant and your daily meal cost goes to $20 per day or as much as $30 per day. Surveys have shown that most workers value time more even than pay and if given a choice between 10% fewer hours and 10% more pay would take the fewer hours.

Close to 20 years employment, and few years till retirement; I don't think I want to look for another job.
I completely understand your feelings about the commute.
I just did not want to wait any longer with the boat purchase. I have it now, I just need to figure out the most economical mooring option.

Yup. I get it.

I hope you find some less expensive moorage that isn't too far away.

Reasonable is a relative term. To some a 1500-2000/mo fee is acceptable, to me the promotional 600/mo is high. I would pay 2-300/mo happily for my 50+ boat somewhere, with 1-2 hours commute, but it does not exist.
The only place I know is the Eagle Harbor open water mooring, but it requires dinghy commute to shore. In a nasty weather condition, or when emergency repairs are needed; it could be very challenging. Solar system and watermaker is almost a requirement there. They have a one-time only application process, so it is not easy to coordinate the process, even if I'd decided to go there. The 200+/mo price is very attractive, though.
All the others are the same price. Port Orchard, Bremerton, Bainbridge, La Conner, Port Townsend, would charge you $8+/foot/mo. Sometimes have promotions, but it is rare.
Anything closer to Seattle starts at $12/foot and goes up to $18-20/foot. For my boat that means 800-2000/mo mooring fee. Even if I could afford it, I would not pay that much.
South Seattle's Duwamish Yacht Club is priced very reasonably, but there is a big problem there. The bottom is too muddy and it is filling up rapidly. The Club will not renew the lease with the city, because they don't have money to clean the waters. Everybody is trying to sell the slips, but nobody is buying them. So, the prices are low. Perhaps it could work for someone for short term.

I’d say you have a good understanding of moorage in Seattle. Two places you didn’t mention, Tacoma and commute by car, or park shore marina on lake Washington. They tend to be cheaper but not sure the work for you.

My slip in Gig Harbor would be $10/foot for a 50’ slip. Foss harbor in Tacoma lists a 50’ open slip for $547/month. So Tacoma is less less than Seattle but not exactly cheap.

A lot of people just pitch a tent downtown and walk to work. And it is free.

Yes, I see them every morning. Lol
Nobody with a boat, yet. Shall I be the first?

I’d say you have a good understanding of moorage in Seattle. Two places you didn’t mention, Tacoma and commute by car, or park shore marina on lake Washington. They tend to be cheaper but not sure the work for you.

Yes, there are several marina's in the Tacoma area. The affordable ones are close to the harbor and there is an awful smell lingering around often. Further out is nicer, but pricey. Even if the price was acceptable, the commute is a disaster. Tacoma highway is being converted for the last 15-20 years. I am not sure, if that will ever be finished? I thought about using P&R for my car and take the light-rail to downtown Seattle. Not bad, I just hate driving now, even for that 30 minutes drive. Traffic lights, single lanes, etc. Plus, not much savings is there in the marina comparing to Bremerton.

I have checked marina's on Lake Washington, too. It is my understanding that only Bellevue and Kirkland has slips big enough for me. The big applies to the per foot price too. It starts around $13/foot and higher. So, east side of the lake is out. The west side of the lake does not have big enough slips.

I used live in Kirkland, so I had the opportunity to look around.

Have you called and checked Quartermaster marina on Vashon Island? They have a commuter walk on ferry as well as regular ferry service.

Have you called and checked Quartermaster marina on Vashon Island? They have a commuter walk on ferry as well as regular ferry service.

Yes, I have. Last year. A 50+ will cost around $500/mo. Yes, the ferry/foot ferry is there, but the marina is on the other side of the island. I went out there to see the commute. You need to drive/park with your car, or ride the bus to the ferry. Since it is a one lane road, in rush hour you'd wait a while before you cross the island.
The place is beautiful, though. The marina was in good shape but only few 50+ slips.

You're going to have a tough go of it finding what you're looking for in any metropolitan area based on your criteria. You're not going to find inexpensive with a short/convenient commute to a major city. If it existed, there would be a 10+ yr waiting list.

You're going to have a tough go of it finding what you're looking for in any metropolitan area based on your criteria. You're not going to find inexpensive with a short/convenient commute to a major city. If it existed, there would be a 10+ yr waiting list.

Yes, it is tough, but can happen.

I am doing 2 hours commute, one way, daily now. I am not sure, if we can call that short/convenient?
Inexpensive exist. There were few ideas about it earlier.

I'm surprised that there are any slips available.
Here in Anacortes the waiting lists are really long, some don't even take new names.
Bigger slips are always in short supply.

Try the little marina on Union Slough off the western end of Steamboat Slough. Where old 99 crosses the two Sloughs. Can’t remember the name. May need high tide to get out. Been there since the 60’s but prolly many years before that.

Ahh ... it’s “SeaCreast”.

Back
Top Bottom