Going WAY Outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trying to address the original question, a friend of mind had a POC and regularly moved it from south FL to Long Island every year, always off shore. Solid boat and capable. Obviously, he didn't try to outrun a hurricane.

There's a difference between offshore and off continent. :rolleyes:

Ted

The only real question to answer.....

Risk versus gain..... Slow, reasonable or fast.

That boat in perfect condition is one thing, but what will it be like when ready to move it? Will you bet your life on it?

Last edited:
SSB onboard? Going to be way outside VHF range.

DeFever designed the 51 POC (performance offshore cruiser),

Selene 53 Offshore 3 weeks ago

We were on the same trip you are considering 3 weeks ago. Ran directly north to Moorehead City, NC from Palm Beach. It turned to garbage about 100 miles east of Charleston, SC with lightning strikes making the ocean into this eerie undisciplined mess. This is a boat I have been running for almost a year and have no qualms about it's sea worthiness and the condition of all systems. In 45 knot gust's with stabilizers it performed. I just was not going to keep running north in the mess we were seeing at 2 am and we ultimately ran west for Charleston. My recommendation is the same as all the others, "stay closer and get to know the boat". Don't skimp on tools and plenty of spare filters! Be sure part of your crew is mechanically capable. If you do run up the ICW be very aware that with your draft you will hit bottom occasionally, even if your all over your chart's and aware of all the buoy's. Have fun and if you need any help just reach out.

Have you made plans for your delivery yet? Any firm dates or still in the purchase phase?

DF Cruisers Assoc

Join the DeFever Cruisers Assoc and ask this question of members who have POC.

You are a sailboater used to the sails laying you over and a rounded hull form to ease the rolling motion. Based on the photo, that top-heavy boat will roll its and your guts out in any kind of a sea where you would be fairly comfy in a well-found sailboat, especially without stabilization or failed stabilizers. Then the fuel tank mung attacks and somebody is down in the bilges trying to change filters. I have been there in a 56-foot Chris Craft. Luckily, I was only a couple of hours from safe haven.

Still no verification if the boat is stabilized?....or did I miss it even after rescanning?

While tank gunge is the most common gremlin that stops marine diesels......I've been around and owned enough used boats that I wouldn't intentionally make that straight of a shot that takes you that far out.
Alternator, raw water pump, engine circulating pump, heat exchanger/exhaust manifolds, hydraulic steering pump/rams, shifter/throttle linkages and ends, engine/transmission, HVAC systems, bushings/bearings/seals/clamps, etc are all things that will pass an inspection yet can/will fail after several 10-12 hour days of rotation/vibration on boats that have lots of dockside hours/years----despite looking great and on boats having been meticulously maintained.
Unless you are 100% certain the boat has been used a significant amount of time (atleast 50 hours IMHO) in the month before your purchase, I'd stay within sight of land and do engine room checks every couple of hours for atleast the first 4-5 days.
Many manufacturers used to offer a cruising kit that contained LOTS of spares and rebuild components for every critical system. Knowledgeable owners whose boat didn't come with one would assemble their own. Buying spare starters, alternators, waterpumps and /or rebuild kits and every gasket and piece of plumbing you might possibly need for all these systems gets EXPEN$IVE fast. But if you are going to be out of reasonable range of assistance only you can say what that stuff is worth to you (and its worth absolutely nothing without the tools and knowledge to use it).

Most folks here preach about getting a pre purchase survey. If getting a loan its probably mandatory. The problem with a survey is its NOT a warranty/guarantee. It may indicate hull issues or engine wear or that a system is/isn't functioning AT THE TIME OF SURVEY. If someone is buying an older used boat and isn't well versed in EVERY system vital to the moving and handling of said boat and doesn't just have ALL of them replaced brand new by a reputable source they are setting themselves up for disappointment at best and quite possibly disaster. It can take months/years to go through everything on a floating house as an owner. Thats OK. I wouldn't intentionally head out in an unfounded vessel to skirt the Bermuda Triangle at the height of hurricane season. You stated that you are coming from a sailing background. Having the wind as a safety net is a luxury you will have to remind yourself can't be factored in when planning a trip.

Last edited:
Benthic 2: that is a picture of a 53POC with a 7ft cockpit extension making it a 60'.
As mentioned, I think the 2 key issues are familiarity with the soundness of the systems and stabilizers.
I have owned my 53POC for 10 yrs. I know the boat very well! It has stabilizers! 1000gal fuel and is capable of long distance coastal cruising, not passage making. I don't know the east coast, but would consider this trip if the weather cooperated and you had a contingency plan to get to shore if things turned bad!

Have you made plans for your delivery yet? Any firm dates or still in the purchase phase?

We are waiting on the survey before going to closing. Could be soon! Luckily, the surveyor didn’t seem to find anything that scared me away, and (surprisingly) found some stuff that pleasantly surprised us both.

Right now we are leaning towards going outside. Probably in the late September time frame after we have spent some time aboard familiarizing.

The genesis of this post was to find out if this type of trip was within the boat’s design envelope. Sounds like it is, which means I can now start the detail planning.

Thanks

I’d do as you plan and follow the Gulf Stream. I think that will also keep you relatively close to the shore for the first few hundred miles and provide bailout opportunity in case of issues. The whole “unproven boat” concern is real and needs to be factored in. Biggest risk is probably crap in the tanks getting stirred up if the seas pick up, causing a stall when you least need it.
You hit the nail on the head about the location of the Stream. I think I scared a bunch of the TF "locals" with my initial picture; as stated before, I wanted to make sure I didn't get advice about good and bad inlets for hopping up the coast 12-18 hours at a time. This image shows the current Gulf Stream location and would most closely match our course.

GRtofsCurrWatlGS.png

It sounds like the boat was designed for this type of trip and now it is just a matter of preparation.

Thanks again everyone.

B

P.S. Sorry for the rapid fire responses. I just got back to work and finally have time to goof off on the forum. ;-)

But how far outside

Bruce,
I am not sure if you have done the route before in a sailboat. The big fun in Sept in the stream is the weather. And your cruise issue will be how much time pressure are you planning to put yourself under.

Great weather will be very nice especially up the Florida coast. And the stream is very close at first. I Have done it to Morehead city a couple times but every time I was on a boat, Hatteras wx was stupid. In ships we just did it. (USN RET.)

With many ugly voyages, a factor is almost always time pressure. Try not to do it to yourself.

Might also get the fuel polished, if not sure of the quality. I did that on a new to me Grand Banks and was really glad when I saw what was in the bottom of the tanks.

With clean tanks and working stabilizers it sounds like a fun trip, as long as the weather doesn’t get crazy of course.

Are there plenty good of inlets one could bail out and head for the ICW in case of repairs, weather, whatever?

Starting GA Going North:

St. simons
Savannah river
Port Royal sound
Charleston Harbor
Winyah Bay
Cape Fear River

All of these are large, maintained, inlets

Careful of September

We are waiting on the survey before going to closing. Could be soon! Luckily, the surveyor didn’t seem to find anything that scared me away, and (surprisingly) found some stuff that pleasantly surprised us both.

Right now we are leaning towards going outside. Probably in the late September time frame after we have spent some time aboard familiarizing.

The genesis of this post was to find out if this type of trip was within the boat’s design envelope. Sounds like it is, which means I can now start the detail planning.

Thanks

If you are thinking late September, you are also planning for the period that is most hazardous in terms of nor'easters and hurricanes. I after having done the ICW several times, including several outside jaunts, I would recommend that you go outside to Beaufort/Moorrehead city and then turn in. Norfolk to Beaufort is not bad in terms of depth and at 10 knots you could even make it is 2 and half days, if you are in a hurry. Of course you will not be able to run at night, but being safe from flaky weather is not all bad. e

Gordon

If you are thinking late September, you are also planning for the period that is most hazardous in terms of nor'easters and hurricanes. I after having done the ICW several times, including several outside jaunts, I would recommend that you go outside to Beaufort/Moorrehead city and then turn in. Norfolk to Beaufort is not bad in terms of depth and at 10 knots you could even make it is 2 and half days, if you are in a hurry. Of course you will not be able to run at night, but being safe from flaky weather is not all bad. e

Gordon

Except for that friggin' A&P Canal!!!

Why can't you run at night?...unless the Great Bridge lock doesn't open at night for rec vessels....

The sounds route would be easy.

Where is the A&P Canal? I'll guess between Albamarle & Pamlico Sounds?

You can run

Why can't you run at night?...unless the Great Bridge lock doesn't open at night for rec vessels....

The sounds route would be easy.

At night. But many if not most of the marks will be hard to see.

Gordon

Starting GA Going North:

St. simons
Savannah river
Port Royal sound
Charleston Harbor
Winyah Bay
Cape Fear River

All of these are large, maintained, inlets

And:
Beaufort Inlet
Masonboro Inlet
Little River Inlet
Georgetown, SC (that might already be on your list)

LoL... Dude... you need a new hobby. You’re turning into Ancora and his hate for Volvos. :)

I know that conditions are ever changing, but when we ran this canal 4 years ago there were no problems. Stayed in the center and minded the hazards noted on Active Captain.

30 miles north of that friggin' canal right now, southbound.

Tally ho!

Great discussion and I have learned a lot . I have the same sailing background and goals for a Sabreline 34 sedan that we are surveying out of Key Biscayne. Our first survey try resulted in the boat taking on water when the seawater intake hose split. The boat has not been running in any fashion for years. The owner is now spending $12,000 to replace all of the hoses, belts and fuel filters. We want the boat to be delivered to Little Washington, NC. Not to hijack the discussion, but how long would a professional crew generally take to delivery this type of boat which can cruise at 18 knots? Also given the prior discussions, what else should we do to prepare the boat?

Last edited:
7 to 10 days running daytime hours only. Depends on sea conditions and ability to run outside. Also, on range at that speed. If conditions require running ICW then add some time. Mainly just make sure it's in good running shape and have a good small parts inventory, especially fuel filters.

Back
Top Bottom