Sticky Buns!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
Anchored out in Meyer's Chuck, Alaska, a wonderfully quaint scenic rockbound community of little houses clinging tenaciously to a very irregular substrate, but to quote Gertrude Stein: "there's no there, there." I.e., no shoreside stuff for the visiting yachties, such as cafes, grocers, galleries full of Chinese-made Alaska memorabilia, etc.

But on with our story: 0715, rubbing sleep from eyes, initiating coffee process, and I hear a rap on the hull and a "yoo-hoo!" Alongside is an aluminum skiff occupied by a very nice lady with a picnic basket full of cinnamon rolls for the modest price of $3.50 each.

While fumbling for my wallet, I ask her how many people decline her offer. "Nearly none." I was probably going to spend another night here...but now it's a certainty.

Did I mention they were warm? ...with walnuts?

So glad to hear they were cinnamon rolls...this thread could have gone bad in so many ways!

So glad to hear they were cinnamon rolls...this thread could have gone bad in so many ways!

Hey! Murray. I've been looking for you. I spent the night in Baranof a couple weeks ago across the dock from a Kitimat-ite (Kitimatian?) named, Derek Collier. Know him? Seemed like a nice guy...of course,he's Canadian

Hey! Murray. I've been looking for you. I spent the night in Baranof a couple weeks ago across the dock from a Kitimat-ite (Kitimatian?) named, Derek Collier. Know him? Seemed like a nice guy...of course,he's Canadian

Only know he's a fireman, but never met him. Good to hear he's keeping the 'nice Canadian' facade up :D

Only know he's a fireman, but never met him. Good to hear he's keeping the 'nice Canadian' facade up [emoji3]

The “nice Canadian” ploy has been revealed to be a diabolical plot to lull the US into thinking that our northern neighbor is benign and friendly. Good thing we discovered that Canada is a huge security threat to the US!

We are on to you schemes now Murray!

The “nice Canadian” ploy has been revealed to be a diabolical plot to lull the US into thinking that our northern neighbor is benign and friendly. Good thing we discovered that Canada is a huge security threat to the US!

We are on to you schemes now Murray!

Your efforts are futile.

Famous comedians were our first infiltrating/invasion force..sworn to secrecy on the next!

First come the comedians, then star ship captains and finally Poutine.

Poutine! What the heck are “Cheese Curds”?

I heard about a cruising couple that got a pizza oven for their boat and sold pizza in what ever anchorage that landed in.

Poutine! What the heck are “Cheese Curds”?

I heard about a cruising couple that got a pizza oven for their boat and sold pizza in what ever anchorage that landed in.
One of the first Nordic Tug 32s built was owned by the Domino's Franchise owner in Alaska and had a pizza oven installed to deliver pizza from Ketchikan to Hoonah. Name of the boat? Pizza Tug O!

Man!! Warm stickey buns in the morning! I’d probably have ate them till I was sick. Wild Alaska morning, cool and picturesque anchorage, coffee & stickey buns, does it get better! That lady knew what she was doing.

Several anchorages here get morning visits from coffee boats selling espresso coffee, pastries,and newspapers. Nice way to start the day unless you brought your own.

IMG_1009.JPGIMG_1007.jpg

Here she is. I think her name is a Cassie.

We don`t get cinnamon buns,we get synonym buns, I think are the same.:D

The few who dont buy maybe diabetics. I had to stop eating high sugar content foods like that since my diagnosis. there is a lot of evidence that type diet makes people sick with diabetes which is like an ever increasing plague getting worse everywhere.

Nice!

I remember the first time that happened to us in the Bahamas. We were tied up in Oyster Bay Marina andd a lady knocked on the side of the boat. She was selling warm Bahamian bread!

Nice!

I remember the first time that happened to us in the Bahamas. We were tied up in Oyster Bay Marina and a lady knocked on the side of the boat. She was selling warm Bahamian bread!

Last edited:
We don`t get cinnamon buns,we get synonym buns, I think are the same.:D

Groan. That joke only works when you read it. If you heard it, it just wouldn’t work.

Anchored out in Meyer's Chuck, Alaska, a wonderfully quaint scenic rockbound community of little houses clinging tenaciously to a very irregular substrate, but to quote Gertrude Stein: "there's no there, there." I.e., no shoreside stuff for the visiting yachties, such as cafes, grocers, galleries full of Chinese-made Alaska memorabilia, etc.

But on with our story: 0715, rubbing sleep from eyes, initiating coffee process, and I hear a rap on the hull and a "yoo-hoo!" Alongside is an aluminum skiff occupied by a very nice lady with a picnic basket full of cinnamon rolls for the modest price of $3.50 each.

While fumbling for my wallet, I ask her how many people decline her offer. "Nearly none." I was probably going to spend another night here...but now it's a certainty.

Did I mention they were warm? ...with walnuts?

Love Meyer's Chuck. Those bun will keep you anchored for a few days. Explore the trail and under no circumstance do you anchor in the runway or that nice lady will come out and scream at you.....

Wifey B: I saw the title and got worried and since I'm wearing a bikini felt the need to check but no sticky buns here. They're avoided by using a towel in your seat. Even nudist places require them. :D

Block Island used to have the muffin boat..

Way back in the 70s there was a family that made their way around New harbor with bakery goods, including portuguese sweet bread. We froze it for the trip back south.

Man of man that was some good stuff. And in Bimini their loaf of Bahamian bread fresh from the oven and split in half with some butter lasted shorter than a glass of rum punch.

Speaking of Block Island, they would have the Barber Shop Festival there , which was another interesting memory of the island. I don't know if that still takes place. Neat place to visit for sure..

Oh almost forgot Thunderbolt Marina along the ICW east of Savannah would bring you a dozen of fresh Krispy Kreme donuts with the morning paper when you stayed with them overnight. Now that hit the spot on those cool fall mornings before daybreak with the first cup of Java.

Last edited:
She's Baack

Delayed departure from Meyer's Chuck just long enough to get one more:

Attachments

• P1000993.JPG
    P1000993.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 77
  • P1000994.jpg
    P1000994.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 75

We can top that:

Attachments

• P1000976.jpg
    P1000976.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 68
WOW! Now that is going back in time to house calls. Love it:thumb:

Medical house calls are very much coming back in, especially for the elderly. There are doctors groups now throughout the country. The other group they're becoming popular for is executives.

There are many benefits. For the elderly who struggle to get out it's obvious. But even more it's avoiding all the sickness in a doctor's office and lab. For others, it's just convenience. Plus telemedicine hitting too.

Back
Top Bottom