Swim platform preservation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geoleo

I have a 1983 34 MT DC. It has a nice teak swim platform. It seems to be original. I live in Florida and boat is docked so sun hits platform a lot. The teak seams are tight. The top of the teak is weathered with small ridges. I want to paint the top white . Question: should I put a couple coats of epoxy on the teak to seal and strengthen it before I prime and paint white? I would sand it some before anything of course. Thanks

Painting planked teak is an abomination, IMO. Lightly sand it so you don't have any severe raised grain ridges to grab your toes and leave it as is would be my recommendation.

David

If you paint it you'll be sorry in the long run. The beauty of teak is that it doesn't need any finish and will last a long time. Some people oil their swim platforms, some people try to keep them perfectly varnished like their other brightwork but it's a difficult battle to keep anything on the swim platform due to its location.

Ken

Painting a swimgrid/platform could also turn it into a hazardous skating rink when wet.

If you proceed there are bits that can be sprinkled into the paint to provide some grip.
Sand or crushed walnut shells are some possibilites that have been used before.
Also there is a product called KIWI GRIP which is a highly pigmented epoxy to protect from it from the sun but it can be worked to provide a rougher surface that will provide grip.

There are specific instructions for all to give good results.

Do some real research at the paint suppliers or chandleries of MARINE paints. They will know about these applications or should do. YOur local hardware store is not likely to be aware of the hazards unless they have a bunch of boaters close by.

I use Cetol on my swim platform. I leave the surface a little rough and put on about 8 coats. It always looks great and is no problem when wet.

Stapled carpet better than any paint. Ss staples only. I have teak platform and I leave it bare wood. In 1970 teak was 2 inch thick. Today it has lost about 3/16 inch

Last edited:
Depending if you have enough depth, that platform can look like near new with some sanding. Make sure it is all sound timber not needing any replacements.
Then, as suggested above, finish it with something protective. I use Deks Olje 1 on mine,it an oil finish, once the wood is saturated it just needs oiling every 3 months or so, and it looks good.

Bare teak is great. Sand it lightly to be smooth and leave it. If you like a little color, then use a teak oil. Very easy to maintain. I like looking at nice varnish finishes as long as they are on other peoples boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom