Helmsman 43 - New Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Electronics are mostly done. The Furono NXT radar that uses Doppler and trailing shadows for targets has been great. We ran the boat overnight to the Islands so I got plenty of practice with it this week. The dual radar screen using two scales simultaneously is also helpful. The picture is at 5:30 am, with the sun rising behind her courtesy of Lil Dronie.

Beautiful drone shot. Possible 2018 Christmas card candidate??!

NIce shot, Fletch! What a beaut!

When it's all said and done, the delays will be forgotten.

Wow, great thread! And me, thinking a Camano 31 is a big jump LOL

75 days for electronics and they still are not done? Sounds excessive, but I was also victim of an excessive commissioning time frame. Don't make my mistake of taking delivery before everything is 100% complete as proven by a sea trial.

I happen to agree with you. Have never accepted an unfinished boat. Prefer all equipment installed at factory but know some can't. Still, I could personally never live with the long Nordhavn commissioning and would have a big issue with 75 days.

MYT and BB I never said the electronics install took 75 days and not sure why you are talking about accepting an unfinished boat. The majority of the electronics work was done in a few weeks, on time, professionally done by a Tech I have known for many years. I have been running the boat several times per week from the first week I got it and am currently on a trip now. There are a few electronics that will be done in stages over the next few years, hence my “almost done” comment. No need to dissect every post.

To the other posters, thank you for the comments. It’s appreciated.

Last edited:
MYT and BB I never said the electronics install took 75 days and not sure why you are talking about accepting an unfinished boat. The majority of the electronics work was done in a few weeks, on time, professionally done by a Tech I have known for many years. I have been running the boat several times per week from the first week I got it and am currently on a trip now. There are a few electronics that will be done in stages over the next few years, hence my “almost done” comment. No need to dissect every post.

If you're happy with it, that's all that really matters. You chose the tech and schedule. I wouldn't be happy with the time but it's not my boat. I was more intending to address the general issue of long commissioning times, than your specifics, but realize that's not what I did.

Great boat!
Glad you’re away on a trip.
Don’t be shy with pictures.

MYT and BB I never said the electronics install took 75 days

Please excuse my confusion. 75 days was my inference based on your prior posts. On 5-8 you wrote:
Electronics install started yesterday.

then On 7-31 you wrote:
Electronics are mostly done.

I only estimated the 75 days as being about 2-1/2 months. Now I see that it would have been more accurate to say 86 days.

not sure why you are talking about accepting an unfinished boat.
Well, accepting delivery before completion was the mistake the mistake I made; I was only trying to give you the benefit of my experience.
Don't make my mistake of taking delivery before everything is 100% complete

Seems like I hit some sore spots. No offense was intended.

I believe it was Thoreau who wrote something to the effect of “there is no fouler taste than goodness tainted”

Goes for good advice too....depending on the delivery...

Fletcher. First, we're all happy if you're happy. If you chose the installer and speed of install of your electronics, that's fine. Now, one thing that would help us understand better is if you might give an overview of the 85 or 86 days from start of electronics install to mostly done. I suspect this included you using the boat much of that time and it being unavailable to the installer. Or perhaps you were still making decisions and ordering items. Perhaps we're oversimplifying things in our minds as I'd expect it to be no more than a 2 week job and others might expect a month and some might expect 6 months.

Ultimately, you got the electronics you wanted, done right, in a time frame you found acceptable. Perhaps a question might be as to what is typical for Helmsman or what another purchaser might expect.

I can chime in here and give Fletcher a break...
Helmsman does not sell or install electronics. They do recommend a local professional.
When I took delivery, I knew ahead what I wanted and pre arranged with their recommended supplier/installer
I had autohelm installed, controls at both helms
Garmin plotter/radar/depth units at lower and upper helm, radar installed on arch
AIS VHF installed with antenna
This took slightly over 5 days at the Helmsman dock
Fletcher is happy with his boat, has been using it throughout, has had his electronics installed as he wished....by whom he wanted...
Who are we to judge?
Nuff said

Last edited:
Helmsman does not sell or install electronics. They do recommend a local professional.
When I took delivery, I knew ahead what I wanted and pre arranged with their recommended supplier/installer
Garmin plotter/radar/depth units at lower and upper helm, radar installed on arch
Fletcher is happy with his boat, has been using it throughout, has had his electronics installed as he wished....by whom he wanted...
Who are we to judge?
Nuff said

That is helpful. Knowing how it is done is informative for those fortunate enough to consider undergoing a new build. I don't think it is a matter of judging, but making assumptions based in incomplete information.

Who are we to judge?
Nuff said

That's what needed to be said so that it didn't leave an impression that extended times were typical. Yours is exactly what I would have anticipated. If anything, a bit faster.

That’s where I guess I differ from you...
In my opinion.....NOTHING needed to be said!!
You are looking for an excuse to justify your response.
Fletcher was simply giving a brief update, after I had asked.
He was NOT, I repeat NOT...looking for “help” nor “opinions”, simply sharing what he is doing right now. Simply sharing....
Some seem incapable of humbly reading an update and sharing in another’s joy without pouncing on their post, dissecting it as Fletcher states, to share their vast wisdom and experience...
No wonder several here post less and less

A few photos from our last trip.
  • Sunrise
  • Sunset
  • Fishing
  • Dolphin

Attachments

• DSCN0635.jpg
    DSCN0635.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN0604.jpg
    DSCN0604.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN0625.jpg
    DSCN0625.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN0724.jpg
    DSCN0724.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 88
Yes, nice pics and lovely boat. However, Fletcher, I'm interested in your comments re the flybridge. Being brutally honest, just how often do you feel moved to run her from up there, when you have such a magnificent pilothouse..?

My reason for asking is two-fold, having had a vessel with a flybridge, but seldom used to pilot from, and the fact that to me, with these designs with such nice raised pilothouses, the flybridge always seem to me to be an unnecessary extra appendig. Is it really all that much better or different running the boat from there compared to the pilothouse..? If so, I will alter my view accordingly.

Peter,

This is our first boat with a FB so to be honest, I had no idea whether we would use it much.

I do most of the driving, and so far all docking, mooring, etc from the lower helm because I can see things better. I can also see the electronics much better in the lower helm.

My very social wife likes to take out friends a lot, so staying below while everyone else is up top so I can concentrate and not hit anything while driving has also been a plus.

With that said, we do spend a lot of time up top hanging out while underway in the ocean, in the bay, and while at dock. The views are nice.

I fish it a lot, so the higher elevation to spot patties while trolling, and to look for birds and bait has been a major plus.

I am not saying having one is better because we all use our boats differently, but for us, we absolutely love having the upper deck area.

Last edited:
Peter,

With that said, we do spend a lot of time up top hanging out while underway in the ocean, in the bay, and while at dock. The views are nice.

I fish it a lot, so the higher elevation to spot patties while trolling, and to look for birds and bait has been a major plus.

I am not saying having one is better because we all use our boats differently, but for us, we absolutely love having the upper deck area.

Ok, that I concede, as at anchor was when we used the upper deck most. Occasionally when under way on a really perfect day - not too hot or too cold - I'd drive from there, but I always felt too far from the centre of things mechanical being up there very long.

Which begs the suggestion, how about having just the upper deck, but without the expensive duplication of gear, instruments, etc, none of which does well exposed to the elements, so so often ends up encased in what FF calles an 'oxygen tent', thus making it less pleasant just being up there for better views and fresh air. Is an upper deck, sans steering station a goer..?
Just wonderin' :)

Which begs the suggestion, how about having just the upper deck, but without the expensive duplication of gear, instruments, etc, none of which does well exposed to the elements, so so often ends up encased in what FF calles an 'oxygen tent', thus making it less pleasant just being up there for better views and fresh air. Is an upper deck, sans steering station a goer..?

Just wonderin' :)

When I was first looking for a trawler, I DIDN’T want a FB for all the reasons you have stated. In the end, the boat that was good in every other way, came with a FB so I went with it.

It seems there are two very distinct camps when it comes to fly bridges. There are those that can’t imagine a boat without them, and those that don’t see the point. I think a lot depends on the weather. In the areas with warm weather boating I can understand using a flybridge a lot. In the PNW, most flybridges are encased in cloth and plastic. That always seems pointless to me, but then I have a nice pilothouse. The few times a year when I want to use the flybridge are days when all I really want is some shade over my head. I use my FB occasionally. Sometimes I end up using it just to get better visibility aft in a tricky docking situation.

To answer your question, I think most manufacturers find that the market on a national level want fly bridges. It is easier to design and build one version of a boat rather than offer one with and one without a fly bridge.

I agree that a flybridge is an expensive addition to a boat like the Helmsman that already has a wonderful helm position in the pilothouse. However, the FB gives additional options and flexibility for how the boat is used.

On the flybridge issue. On our last boat, a 4388 bayliner, I hardly ever used the FB. On the current Camano, we seem to be using it all the time. No idea why the change. just happened.

Water temps are down, and the tuna have moved on.

We had some light rain from a disturbance in Mex this week that made for some beautiful sunrise and sunsets. September through October are always my favorite boat/water months.

Hope everyone had a great summer.

Attachments

• Sunrise.jpg
    Sunrise.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN0619.jpg
    DSCN0619.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0623.jpg
    DSCN0623.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 107
Hey Fletcher
beautiful boat!
Have you had any luck with the bluefin spearfishing?

Tuna Joe, got some other species, but no luck with the elusive Blue Fin this year.

There is a group of 3 guys who run a high speed RIB who are well known in our area. Word is, they shot 3 BFT in the 150 to 200 LB range a couple months ago.

I sent you a PM to ask about how your season went in Ventura.

Last edited:
Not meaning to derail, but I don't think you can send pictures via PM so I thought I'd post here.
Taken about a month ago between Cat and Clemente by a good buddy
3 guys took fish up to 270 pounds spearfishing
GoPro mask cam.

Attachments

• IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom