Hours on a Lehman 135

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
ADAGIO
Vessel Make
CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Hello fellow TF's - currently looking at a boat with 1988 Lehman 135's, with approx 5,000 hours - a bit high vs all of the other boats we have seen - most with 2000-3000 hrs. They have been well maintained with good maintenance records and oil analysis records. What say ye? I've heard all of the talk - "10,000 to 15,000 is no problem", but would you buy with 5,000 hrs, Thanks so much:thumb:

5000 hours works out to about 166 hours per year, which mean this boat has been reasonably used over it's lifespan. A good thing in my opinion.

Proof of proper maintenance and an oil analysis history along with an engine survey should tell you all you need to know to move forward.

If you boated as much as the previous owners you would roll over 10,000 hours somewhere in 2048, 15,000 somewhere in 2078 and 20,000 in 3008!!!

yep, with 10,000 hrs I'll be 93 in 2048 - just getting started:thumb::thumb:

Hours mean almost nothing. How it was maintained and operated is what counts. You can have a 1,000 hour engine that was abused and won't make it to 5,000 and a 10,000 hour engine that will go another 10,000 more.

David

Thread moved from "How To Use The Forum, Site News & Account Concerns" to "Power Systems".

If they were maintained it is absolutely not a problem.

Got just about 5000hrs on my 135s and no issues at all.

Ken

Every owner claims "great " maint , a decade of oil sample results would be useful.

The quickest on any boat quick look is to see what is kept as engine supply.

Car oil? Car Antifreez? Enough oil for multiple changes?

Hours tell you nothing in this context. It may die tomorrow, but not because of hours. Hours get used because there is usually only subjective measures otherwise, but that truism does not make the hour meter any more useful.

"Hours tell you nothing in this context. It may die tomorrow, but not because of hours. Hours get used because there is usually only subjective measures otherwise, but that truism does not make the hour meter any more useful."

I would have NO Fear of a 5,000hr well maintained Lehman with a decade of good oil sampling.

But when my 6-71 starts to show 20,000 hours on the clock , I will start looking for an overhaul kit.

Game boat here just repowered it had 2 135hp fords one done 23000 hours the other 30000. Retired now but company I used to work for used 4 cylinder Fords as thruster on ferries, run from idle rpm to full noise immediately then back to idle 12 hours a day these wee beauties went in excess of 20000 hours!!! hence I am running Ford Dover in my boat which does 400+- hours per annum and will see me out:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom