Slow draining sink - SOLVED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianSmith

Vessel Name
Smartini
Vessel Make
2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
The sink in the Master - the one where all of the toothbrushing and shaving occur, the one with all the gunk that isn't just water going through it - has drained slowly almost since we bought the boat 2+ years ago. We've tried white vinegar a couple of times, but with not much success.

Yesterday, Fran (the brains of the operation) found this solution on some website somewhere, and it worked perfectly, the very first time! So, in the spirit of giving back to TF (I feel like I'm always taking), here you go:

Crunch up 2 Alka-Seltzer tablets and put them into the drain. (Small enough that the pieces all fall out of sight down the drain.) Pour in 1 cup of distilled white vinegar. Let that sit for long enough to heat a kettle of water to steaming (but not boiling). When it's hot, pour it down the drain, a couple of cups at a time, with a 10 - 20 second pause between pours.

One treatment, and the drain is flowing like Niagara Falls! Yay!

The sink in the Master - the one where all of the toothbrushing and shaving occur, the one with all the gunk that isn't just water going through it - has drained slowly almost since we bought the boat 2+ years ago. We've tried white vinegar a couple of times, but with not much success.

Yesterday, Fran (the brains of the operation) found this solution on some website somewhere, and it worked perfectly, the very first time! So, in the spirit of giving back to TF (I feel like I'm always taking), here you go:

Crunch up 2 Alka-Seltzer tablets and put them into the drain. (Small enough that the pieces all fall out of sight down the drain.) Pour in 1 cup of distilled white vinegar. Let that sit for long enough to heat a kettle of water to steaming (but not boiling). When it's hot, pour it down the drain, a couple of cups at a time, with a 10 - 20 second pause between pours.

One treatment, and the drain is flowing like Niagara Falls! Yay!

An overboard drain?
Another solution, get a rubber hose drain cleanout bladder. You screw it onto the hose end, push into the drain, and turn on the hose to flush it out with lots of pressure. This also works decently on your house.

An overboard drain?
Another solution, get a rubber hose drain cleanout bladder. You screw it onto the hose end, push into the drain, and turn on the hose to flush it out with lots of pressure. This also works decently on your house.

No, it goes to a Whale Gulper in the bilge. The pump has no trouble keeping up with the flow (of the sink, and of two other sinks, and two showers). It's just the drain hose from sink to Gulper that was the problem.

Here is another solution. Just do a real rough crossing of Queen Charlotte Sound. The water that is forced backwards up the discharge hose will push all the gunk back up into the sink. Works like a champ and only took about 5 hours to complete!!

Here is another solution. Just do a real rough crossing of Queen Charlotte Sound. The water that is forced backwards up the discharge hose will push all the gunk back up into the sink. Works like a champ and only took about 5 hours to complete!!
Aha, a reverse flush!

I had the same issue with my shower drain. I used a product that my plumber recommended at home- Roebic Line Cleaner. It uses bacteria or enzymes to breakdown the sludge. Said to be safe for septic systems and the environment.

ACE hardware and others sell a toothed plastic strip that is simply pushed down from the sink.

On retraction it will bring up clogs .

Stows really easy .$2.00 or so.

ACE hardware and others sell a toothed plastic strip that is simply pushed down from the sink.

On retraction it will bring up clogs .

Stows really easy .$2.00 or so.

Brings up clogs and enough hair to braid[emoji33]
I’ve got that tool and so should u if long hair is in the house or aboard. I have yet to need any chem solution in almost a decade now.

An overboard drain?

wouldn't that back up and spray high pressure water all over the bathroom !?!?!

Silly me, I would have just taken it all apart and cleaned it out.
Not to be taken as a wise assed reply, but I take everything apart. Sometimes more than once.....

Last edited:
Silly me, I would have just taken it all apart and cleaned it out.
Not to be taken as a wise assed reply, but I take everything apart. Sometimes more than once.....

It's not the taking it apart, it's getting it back together w/o extra pieces....:dance:

Back
Top Bottom