After only 32 years and 1940 hours,...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
I think I need a new one...an exhaust riser for one of my VOLVO TMD40s. The engine was running fine with no overheating. The hole was blocked by carbon so there was no exhaust leak. I just got curious about a glob of rust where the riser joins the turbo and pulled it off. Voila!

P1010007 (1).jpg

P1010006 (1).jpg

P1010008 (1).jpg

Curiosity saved the cat, this time! Was there insulation wrapped around it?

I’m familiar with that exact part. Can’t even imagine one that bad. Wowsers! Actually, I like that particular design. They are quick and easy to change once you get the clampy thing figured out just right. Those are generally good for about 7 years, just sayin.

How about giving us a peek down the throat of the turbo?
Anytime the exhaust elbow shows leaks, and in this case, they’re extreme, the turbo and more are in grave danger.

No, the risers are not wrapped as the never get that hot. There is a lump of carbon just inside the edge of the turbo housing where it faces up to the riser that will have to be removed judiciously, as it is close to the turbine. What I found interesting, was that the riser fit is metal to metal on to the turbo housing, with no gasket. I called my merchant marine chief engineer son about it, and he said it was common practice even on large ship diesels to have metal to metal connections.

Back
Top Bottom