How long do your watermaker pre-filters last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboatnow

We’ve been cruising in PNW and SE AK waters for the last few seasons and have run our water maker sparingly because the water is so nutrient rich that the filters get fouled after running for only 6-8 hours of use. We have 2.5”x10” 25um and 5um pre-filters.

We’re going to be heading south into Mexico and on to Panama and Carib, so I’m looking to stock the boat with filters.

I’m interested in others experience with pre-filter longevity going from nutrient rich waters like PNW vs. Mexico. How long do you pre-filters last in Mexico and more tropical waters?

Mine lasted less than an hour in Norfolk when I was testing it, but went a month or more without problems in the Bahamas. I'd really look into what TT is talking about if you have the room for it.

We have two pre filters on our watermaker.

What people do is to cycle the filters, where they take a plugged set out, and wash them and let them dry.

This will extend filter life.

Also I know that filters are available in Mexico if you use a standard off the shelf size. They are even available locally at marinas. For example Rich over at Cruise RO operates a cruisers store at one of the marinas in La Paz, where he stocks that kind of stuff.

What people do is to cycle the filters, where they take a plugged set out, and wash them and let them dry.

Also I know that filters are available in Mexico if you use a standard off the shelf size. They are even available locally at marinas. For example Rich over at Cruise RO operates a cruisers store at one of the marinas in La Paz, where he stocks that kind of stuff.

Good to know. Thanks.

In the Caribbean, ours lasted a few months, or about 200hrs. We typically used it underway offshore if possible, in harbors when necessary. Didn’t notice a difference between Panama, Puerto Rico, Grenada etc. really just a harbor vs. isolated anchorage/offshore.

In the Caribbean, ours lasted a few months, or about 200hrs. We typically used it underway offshore if possible, in harbors when necessary. Didn’t notice a difference between Panama, Puerto Rico, Grenada etc. really just a harbor vs. isolated anchorage/offshore.

Thanks Sealife - exactly the info I was looking for.

If you use it off shore, they will last a long time.
If used in any brackish water or water full of organic things, a day at most.
Buy the filters from Amazon by the case. They are really cheap that way.

Richard

Silly question, but how much water is used in washing the filters for the water maker?

Silly question, but how much water is used in washing the filters for the water maker?

I just waggle them off the swm step to dislodge any particulate matter, so no water is used.

I would like a media filter, but not bad enough to figure out where to put it.
Filters are cheap, and I get quite a bit of life out of a set.

Even the worst case scenario I hear on this thread of 8 hours for a set is a around 320 gallons of water, which is a bit less than a weeks worth.

Personally I get much more than that out of a $10 or so set of filters which I buy at home depot.

I just waggle them off the swm step to dislodge any particulate matter, so no water is used.

Even the worst case scenario I hear on this thread of 8 hours for a set is a around 320 gallons of water, which is a bit less than a weeks worth.

Personally I get much more than that out of a $10 or so set of filters which I buy at home depot.

Thanks Kevin. The PO of my boat had a watermaker installed when he had the boat commissioned. He got tired of the maintenance and didn’t use it a lot. He had it pulled off the boat and then lost track of it. <sigh>. He also had his washer/dryer removed as he found he rarely used it.

There are times when I think I might like a watermaker. I like showers. I like being able to rinse off the anchor and chain with fresh water etc... Realistically, with 350 gallons of water on board, I only have to be cautious about water use about once a year. Someday though...

We spray ours with the anchor raw water hose and hang to dry in the engine room. After shutting down the system, remove the old filters, install the spare clean ones then flush the system with fresh water. We went 7 months up in Alaska last year with the same filters. Still got plenty of spares too.

Would you please tell me the make of the media filter that you installed. The dimensions of your filter are stated at 8x30, I can only find 15" - 16" diameter units.

Thanks

See attached for an example supplier

Attachments

• Pentair-40845-Poly-Glass-Vessels-L.pdf
    77.8 KB · Views: 54
Also, here is a filter valve that looks like it will work. I haven't used this particular one, but I think it would work.

Attachments

• 360-low-flow-valve-spec-sheet-43647.pdf
    254.8 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom