Dink lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
At last years Wooden Boat Show in Madisonville we were stopped by law enforcement and given a warning for having only a flashlight in our dink while running the river.this year I had purchased the Red/Green light from WM that the admiral held at the front of the dink and were promptly given a ticket for no 360 degree light!! What creative ideas are you guys using to mount this light?

A power-driven dinghy is required to have the same lights as any other powerboat, although it can use a 360-degree white light but must also show red and green sidelights.

An oar-driven dinghy only needs a flashlight or lantern showing a white light.

I use a "flashlight on a stick" and slide it into my dinghy rod holder.

I have a 360 degree light that mounts on top of the engine with a suction cup.* A red/green light that mounts on a rubber mount glued on the bow.* They are LEDs from Aqua Signal and are good for running up to 7 knots.

Don
I have the AS red and green light. I think it came with a suction cup. Did you glue one of these to your dink? How tall is your 360 light?

I use the Navisafe Red/green light - one on the bow and the other on the outboard.* They have a magnetic mounting disc which I glued to the boat/outboard.* The lights themselves float and are interchangeable front/back.

Attachments

• 20100125 dsc_6425a.jpg
    20100125 dsc_6425a.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 98
  • 20100125 dsc_6590a.jpg
    20100125 dsc_6590a.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 124
Forkliftt wrote:
Don
I have the AS red and green light. I think it came with a suction cup. Did you glue one of these to your dink? How tall is your 360 light?
*I ordered the red/green with a rubber mount for gluing to Hypalon.* The 360 light mounts on top of the engine with a strong suction cup is about 9" tall..* They do float.* Sorry, no pictures with the lights installed, but one showing the black rubber red/green light mount glued on the bow.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 18th of November 2011 09:11:13 AM

Attachments

• chesapeake trip '11 082.jpg
    chesapeake trip '11 082.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 118
Don, I sure like the bow mount and will research. Also love the Weaver front arc.

dainisk wrote:
I use the Navisafe Red/green light - one on the bow and the other on the outboard.* They have a magnetic mounting disc which I glued to the boat/outboard.* The lights themselves float and are interchangeable front/back.
*I saw a friend of mine this weekend and he was using these. *I was very impressed. *If I remember correctly, they weren't cheap?

Ocean Breeze NL wrote:
Any opinions on this hide-a-davit?

http://www.laconnermaritime.com/HaD.html

I am thinking about getting this style..

Elwin

OB,*

I'll be following this thread for feedback on the Hide-a-davit system.* That looks EXACTLY like something I have envisioned but have not seen available commercially.*

What's the price range for this product?

Gents,

Have a look at Trick Davits.

http://www.trickdavit.com/index.php

$1,250 with the extensions shipped to your house or boat.* Easy to install and work like a charm.* Complete with all parts including tie down straps and hardware.

No connection just a satisfied customer.

*OB,*

I'll be following this thread for feedback on the Hide-a-davit system.* That looks EXACTLY like something I have envisioned but have not seen available commercially.*

What's the price range for this product?
*The info they sent me was;

Kits for the Hide-A-Davit start at $9,000, plus shipping and installation. We don't have a dealer in CA, but can arrange shipping to your location. Shipping will likely run you about $450-500 (estimate). The package ships in 3 boxes and weighs a total of about 200 lbs.*

From watching the video, the fellow looks cumbersome trying to get from the tender to the swim platform.. I can see a wet experience happening there.

Elwin*

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Thursday 15th of December 2011 10:23:51 PM

That's a lot of $s and weight on the duckboard. I like the look of those Trick Davits, but my duckboard is not wide enough for either, so neither would work for me. I currently use Weaver snap davits on the edge of the duckboard, but as the damn pads with the loops would not stay glued to the pontoons, I just hook the stout and well fixed side rope on the port pontoon onto the weaver clips and swing her up by a block and tackle, and I adapted the pads to act as buffers for the pontoon to rest against to protect it from chafing against the points of the Snap fitting. Works quite well and dirt cheap.

Hey Peter, I tend to agree.. Lots of $$ and am concerned about the weight. They do look ideal for a horizontal mount though. Every mount I have seen has given me some reservations however this one is the neatest looking.

Elwin

A friend of mine has a Hide-A-Davit on his Eastbay. Pretty cool and works well (as it should for that price).

JD wrote:
Have a look at Trick Davits.

$1,250 with the extensions shipped to your house or boat.
******* I never heard of these, but for folks on a budget it makes total sense.

******** Thanks, JD!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 16th of December 2011 11:42:04 AM

Attachments

• davit.jpg
    davit.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 131
SeaHorse II wrote:JD wrote:Have a look at Trick Davits.

$1,250 with the extensions shipped to your house or boat.

I never heard of these, but for folks on a budget it makes total sense.
******** Thanks, JD!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 16th of December 2011 11:42:04 AM

*If I remember I'll try to get a couple of pictures of mine this weekend to post next week.* They work best with a RIB and engine that weighs in at 160# total or less.* If you are younger or stronger then the weight can go up.* But for one person that is about it.

I guess when you go back to the mother ship, you have to disembark the dinghy to the side of the trawler, missing the rails that are lowered in the water?

SeaHorse II wrote:I guess when you go back to the mother ship, you have to disembark the dinghy to the side of the trawler, missing the rails that are lowered in the water?
*The rails are only in the water when the dink is coming off or going on.* There is plenty of room on either side of them to get on and off the Duck Board.* The other option is once the dink is in the water the rails are held in place by a removable pin. Remove the pin take the rail off or take both off,*stow them*and the whole back of the boat is usable.*

Forkliftt wrote:
What creative ideas are you guys using to mount this light?
*We run a portable all-round white light on our dinghy at night.* No red/green nav lights.* The all-round white light is on a rod that slips into a bracket mounted on the inside of the dinghy transom.

Hi,
From experience in Marathon, FL, where the water patrol is very observant, a LED headlamp seems to suffice. It is handsfree, illuminates where you are going, and provides a warning wherever you turn your head to look. Never got a ticket using it.
Good luck,
Roger

A power-driven dinghy is required to have the same lights as any other powerboat, although it can use a 360-degree white light but must also show red and green sidelights.

An oar-driven dinghy only needs a flashlight or lantern showing a white light.

That highlights the stupidity of some of these laws and regulations. What difference could it possibly make that it was power driven as opposed to oar driven? It's a small boat on the water at night. If the red and green lights are important for a power driven boat, they are just as important for an oar driven boat.

If you turn off the motor and use the oars can you legally do without the red and green lights? :rolleyes:

*If I remember I'll try to get a couple of pictures of mine this weekend to post next week.* They work best with a RIB and engine that weighs in at 160# total or less.* If you are younger or stronger then the weight can go up.* But for one person that is about it.

We used the Trick Davit System with the extensions on our trawler platform - a very easy install. As JD mentioned, pretty much everything comes in the package. Because of the wide slats on our swim platform, we did make one change to the mounting system.... we added a 1/4" stainless steel backing plate that ran the full depth of the platform.

We finally launched Delia Rosa a few days ago and and were able to test the launching and retrieving our dinghy with the motor..... the system works very well... no pictures in the water, but here's a few on land...

DSC04845.jpg

DSC04848.jpg

DSC04849.jpg

DSC04853.jpg

Back
Top Bottom