Duel Racor Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
When using a duel Racor filter with the filter selection valve, what is the life expectancy of the non-selected filter? In other words, is the non-selected filter's life shortened by sitting in diesel fuel without use for 1-2 Years?

Attachments

• Racor with Shield.jpg
    Racor with Shield.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
The newer black elements are supposed to have a different better filter material with a better water rejection component that isn't supposed to deteriorate over time. Don't think they list a life expectancy in fuel though.

As a practice, I run the element for a year then switch to the other and replace the used one. So, the element sits for a year and then is used for a year. Being that I'm OCD, 2 or 3 times a year, I will switch to the alternate filter element for 15 minutes to flush the fuel out so that the fuel doesn't sit in the filter for a year. I know, totally OCD. But it's easy to do and gives me peace of mind.

Ted

When using a duel Racor filter with the filter selection valve, what is the life expectancy of the non-selected filter? In other words, is the non-selected filter's life shortened by sitting in diesel fuel without use for 1-2 Years?

I had the same question a while back. In trying to find an answer, I found one reference from Parker that said that the filter elements would age and so should be replaced after a certain amount of time even if they aren’t very dirty.

However, it was only that one reference that I found back then and since I’ve not been able to find it again. Ted may be correct that an improvement in filters have eliminated this concern?

FWIW, I finally just decided to do the same thing as Ted. I replace the in-use filter and then switch to the filter that has been essentially unused for a year.

Think Parker says about a year on the water blocking chemical...the filter still works but I cant say how much the water blocker is affected.

Think Parker says about a year on the water blocking chemical...the filter still works but I cant say how much the water blocker is affected.

I read the same a while back.
That said I have been on the same side changing elements once per season and I think I'll change the other side now since it's been probably 5 years or so.

You guys need to buy dirtier fuel ;) Takes care of all these problems!

If concerned, might take a little longer to switch over but you could always leave the back-up filter dry in the housing till needed, assuming not an emergency situation. Just fill the back-up and bleed air when needed. On the other hand, in over 5,000 miles of running, we never had any detectable water in our twin Racors.

For 20 years I switched sides once a year, but then I fuel polished frequently. I also changed sides and filter when I had more than 200 hours on a filter. Not once in the 20 years did I have a fuel problem at the twin Racor set up. Once at the secondary filter (typically on the engine.)

Switch filters once a month during the engine room inspection and replace both at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom