View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
DavidM
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I have cruised in Maine for several seasons over the last twenty years, two of which were with radar and one without. Let me tell you- lack of radar is very limiting. Once we had to wait out two days of socked in conditions in Frenchboro- a charming but dead little fishing island. If we had radar I would have been able to go up to Mt Desert Island and enjoy Northeast Harbor and surrounds. With only a hand held GPS in those days I didn't want to chance it.

I have also used radar to time thunderstorm approaches, both in Maine and elsewhere. You can almost always see a thunderstorm approaching, but you often can't tell when it is going to arrive. Once I was able to watch a bad cell approaching on radar and duck in to a cove and drop the anchor just as the winds and rain hit.

Maine weather like almost everywhere we cruise is changeable. I think you will find less fog in July-August and more before or after. I would say in those months you might experience a day or so of socked in conditions, a few rainy days and lots of nice days at other times.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote