Selling/upgrading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hey All,

Long time passagemaker poster just getting into this forum.* We are close to moving on to a new boat and I'd love your collective input.

We currently have a well loved and actively cruised 1973 gulfstar 36.* This was our first boat over 25', we bought her in 2005.* Since then we have upgraded/redone just about everything, interior and exterior.* The boat runs really well, we put about 2,000 miles a year on her.* Some of the inevitable oil and fuel drips that come with almost 40 year old engines, but she is very, very clean and solid compared to most boats in her age bracket and class.

So that brings me to my first question.* There are four 36' Gulfstars on yachtworld right now.* Three of them are disgusting rats.* One looks pretty good, about the same as ours, maybe not quite as nice.* The asking prices range from $29,000 to $39,000.* I spoke with a broker and he recommended that I price the boat much higher than those, so that it attracts a buyer who is hoping to get the best boat as possible for $50,000 to $60,000, without reagrd to manufacturer.

We paid $49,000 for her in 2005, and have put about $40,000 into upkeep/upgrades over the years.* I'm not a fool, I know an old boat is only worth so much.* I fully expect to lose a good bit on her, but I know how solid the boat is, I hate to give it away.* Any thoughts on selling strategy?* She is on Green turtle Cay right now, we will likely bring her back from the Bahamas next May and put her on the market in the West Palm area.

Second, we are looking to move up to something a little bigger and faster.* We like to go slow, but have to cover long distances from our home on the Florida panhandle to our favorite cruising grounds in the Bahamas, often over open water.* We would like the ability to get out of the way of weather, and also to hop up and bang through chop on a gulf or gulf stream crossing rather than just slogging it out like we do now.

We are looking in the $250,000 price range.

Favorite boats so far are the Sabre 42' Flybridge, the Legacy 40' sedan FB, and the Eastbay 40' FB.* Any thoughts on these boats?* Specific issues you know about?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Doug

If all you want is a "little bigger" and a "little faster" I would just keep the Gulfstar.

Ha, ha.* Good point.* I should have said a little bigger and a LOT faster.

Dougcole wrote:

Favorite boats so far are the Sabre 42' Flybridge, the Legacy 40' sedan FB, and the Eastbay 40' FB.* Any thoughts on these boats?* Specific issues you know about?

*Doug, you don't have any bad choices there. *I have a Sabre 42 express, and love it. *You have selected some great boats to choose from. *Enjoy your search, and keep us informed.

By the way, welcome. *I need the company of another Sabre owner here. *It's lonesome. *

Moonstruck wrote:I need the company of another Sabre owner here. *It's lonesome. *
violin.gif

SeaHorse II wrote:dwhatty wrote:*
violin.gif
******** X10

*Maybe it's not the Sabre! *That's why I got a dog!

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 15th of December 2011 02:14:53 PM

No sabre yet, sorry about that....it is our favorite of the boats but also the highest price range. * I think the 40 EB predated the 42 sabre, so there are some late 90's Eastbays out there more in our price range.* The sabres all seem to be 300 +.

The legacy is a little less cha ching as well, I guess because it is a little smaller?

Our one worry about all these boats is the tiny fridge.* We spend 4 to 5 weeks at a time on our boat.* We have a 9 year old and a 13 year old boy, that eat mounds of food.* Have you added any cool space to your sabre?

Also, is that Ocean Beach on GTC?* We spend a lot of time on that island, our boat is currently in Black Sound Marina.

-- Edited by Dougcole on Thursday 15th of December 2011 08:14:59 PM

Dougcole wrote:
No sabre yet, sorry about that....it is our favorite of the boats but also the highest price range. * I think the 40 EB predated the 42 sabre, so there are some late 90's Eastbays out there more in our price range.* The sabres all seem to be 300 +.

The legacy is a little less cha ching as well, I guess because it is a little smaller?

Our one worry about all these boats is the tiny fridge.* We spend 4 to 5 weeks at a time on our boat.* We have a 9 year old and a 13 year old boy, that eat mounds of food.* Have you added any cool space to your sabre?

Also, is that Ocean Beach on GTC?* We spend a lot of time on that island, our boat is currently in Black Sound Marina.

-- Edited by Dougcole on Thursday 15th of December 2011 08:14:59 PM
*My, but you are in a great spot. *If you are referring to the first beach photo in the thread called "For the Northern Guys", it is on the north end of Guana just around the point. *Ours is a 2 stateroom express. *No flybridge. *Jim Klein has a 42 Sabre Sedan with flybridge at Man-O-War Marina. *Its name is Fiddlers Green. *Glenn Patch had one at Hopetown that was on the market. *He was going to cruise the Exumas, so I'm not certain where it is. *It is a beaufifu boat.

We plan to be in the Abacos for 5 or 6 weeks in May and early June. *Will you be there? *For some of that time we will have 4 teenage grand children.

If you are talking about the Avatar pihoto, it is on Green Turtle, but don't tell anybody. *Carl (Old Stone) has had his eye on my Barcolounger.
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 15th of December 2011 09:15:17 PM

Was talking about the avatar photo. Pretty sure i know where that is, but i wont tell! I think we looked at the hopetown boat, it has a red hull, right? It is super nice, i think it sold.

Our boat will be in man o war next month, jay manni is putting on anew bimini and enclosure, irene took the old one with her.

Yes, we will likely be in abaco in may, that is when we typically go for our long trip. Stay in touch, we are always looking for boat kids to hang out with and i would love to see your boat.

Doug

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom