Anti-Freeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
What is the difference between pink and green anti-freeze? I have 3208 T/As...

Green antifreeze contains Glycol and cannot be used for winterizing as you cannot dump it into the water when starting your engine. Green should only be used in your fresh water cooling (also orange). Pink antifreeze is used for raw water systems and potable water systems.
Unless I'm missing something with the original post this is very common knowledge.
John

Green antifreeze contains Glycol and cannot be used for winterizing as you cannot dump it into the water when starting your engine. Green should only be used in your fresh water cooling (also orange). Pink antifreeze is used for raw water systems and potable water systems.
Unless I'm missing something with the original post this is very common knowledge.
John
Don't mind me but this is not quite true.
The "green" (and note that color is just a dye) is ethylene glycol. The pink (again a dye) is propylene glycol. Both are glycol but of different type and the "pink" is less "environmental toxic" than "green". Propylene glycol is compatible with potable water plumbing and food processing chain (even if it is a type of glycol).

L

Reactions: TJM
Just as a short sideline; Detroit suggests the use of their pink colored anti-freeze in the DDA 8.2L engines. Something about SCCA's being good for their old innards; just sayin'

Lou is correct. Ethylene glycol which is dyed green, yellow or orange is used in engine cooling systems and is very toxic. Dogs have been known to die from lapping up a puddle of it.

Propylene glycol which is usually dyed pink is used for winterizing water systems and is reasonably safe to drink (a little).

David

Ok; I'm assuming the green we're talking about here is the type used in auto's and not some marine type that i'm not aware of. In New Jersey and Pennsylvania used green antifreeze needs to go to a recycling center. If you dump it into the water you're looking at a very hefty fine.
John

What is commonly called pink is the propylene glycol usually used to winterize water systems. However you do not want to use that in your engine, especially a diesel.

Automotive antifreeze (usually but not always ethylene glycol) can be had in a rainbow of colors depending on the manufacturer, including something looking a lot like pink. The long life versions have a different corrosion inhibiting chemistry than antifreeze in the past. I'd find what the engine manufacturer recommends and stick to that spec. Sometimes there is even a reason for it.

Cat makes a pink antifreeze for their engines. Best you read the labels. Cat antifreeze is DEAC, definitely not the same As RV antifreeze. Color may not be the way to decide whether your AF is correct.

Color is not the determiner, chemistry is.

The explanations of glycol and propylene have been correct.

Some colors may be hard to determine in a cooling system, if not sure there are recommended flushing procedures to ensure a good, new clean mix.

Folks using "drinkable " AF to winterize the boats fresh water system will do best by filling the lines and leaving them full.

If you simply flush with the pink goo some will be left in lines and devices , where it can go solid.

This means in the spring it may take a week and multiple flushes to soften the dried out AF and have clear water .

I have been told not to mix them in the same engine--will cause clumping.

But, that might have been a discussion about the Cummins blue anti freeze and others.

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. As an aside...I have found from past winterizations of the potable water system that IF I use the "pink" RV stuff (propylene glycol) in the water heater, it takes, what seems to be, forever to flush the residual taste out of the system. So, as a result, I drain the water heater, bypass it and fill the rest of the system with AF. In the spring, a thorough flushing with fresh water with the water heater STILL bypassed is SOP. Seems to be successful. YMMV.

Folks using "drinkable " AF to winterize the boats fresh water system will do best by filling the lines and leaving them full.

If you simply flush with the pink goo some will be left in lines and devices , where it can go solid.

This means in the spring it may take a week and multiple flushes to soften the dried out AF and have clear water .

Good point! I always let each fixture "run pink" and close it up. But where it is left to evaporate, like in the sink, it does take a bit of effort to remove. If that happened inside the lines, you'd be tasting it all season!

OK not winterized fluid. Pink or orange is the same to me. So there really isn't any difference then, other than color. On Prestone's bottle it says their anti-freeze (green) can be used in either system.

John

I didn’t know it, but then I have an uncommon level of ignorance.

Continuing with my ignorance theme...

Why can’t propylene glycol be used in an engines cooling system?

Continuing with my ignorance theme...

Why can’t propylene glycol be used in an engines cooling system?

Heat resistance.
Ethylene glycol is more resistant to heat (higher boiling temperature). Propylene glycol is decomposing when exposed to oxygen in air and heat and become corrosive (acidic).

Theoretically anything can be used for cooling engine, the most basic one is simple water. Difference is efficiency, durability and protection.

L

Last edited:
Heat resistance.
Ethylene glycol is more resistant to heat (higher boiling temperature). Propylene glycol is decomposing when exposed to oxygen in air and heat and become corrosive (acidic).

Theoretically anything can be used for cooling engine, the most basic one is simple water. Difference is efficiency, durability and protection.

L

Thanks Lou. That makes sense.

I have a Yanmar in my boat and they are very specific about what antifreeze to use in the cooling system. It is orange in color and needs to have a 50/50 antifreeze/distilled water mix. I have the allowable brands in my log. For winterizing the engine I use pink rated to minus 60 degrees F.
A friend of mine used to always use green in his Cummins for both the cooling system and raw water side winterizing. He did that until he started the boat one spring with the state police right behind him at the dock. When they saw green coming from his exhaust they paid him a visit and he was fined for dumping hazardous material in the water.
John

There are PG antifreezes made for engine cooling, such as the Sierra brand.

Don't just go by colour. All greens are not alike. All oranges are not alike. Many cannot be mixed.

Some coolants are based on silicates and phosphates, some are based on organic acid technology. Don't mix the two or you'll end up with a gooey mess.

Do you have a manual?

Read your manual, or get one.

Consider joining Boatdiesel.com

you are dealing with $60 K worth of engine replacement here, so may be you should be very carefully looking at whether the antifreeze meets Cat diesel engine specs, especially regarding cavitation protection, and whether the contemplated anti freeze conflicts with what you are changing from. Consider visiting a Cat dealer for advice.

If you are talking about winterizing the raw water side of a cooling system, then non-toxic is the only way to go, regardless of color.

I am NOT talking about winterizing......

I have a small leak on the port engine and I am trying to hunt it down. Sitting static, no leak. Running where the system is pressurized I get some drops below the engine on the outside of the port engine. Hard to get too, but I will find it.

Lou is correct. Ethylene glycol which is dyed green, yellow or orange is used in engine cooling systems and is very toxic. Dogs have been known to die from lapping up a puddle of it.

Propylene glycol which is usually dyed pink is used for winterizing water systems and is reasonably safe to drink (a little).

David
Propylene Glycol is the vapor you see from a person with an "E-cigarette". It is 80-90% of the ingredients they are "vaping" How smart is that?

CAT antifreeze

I have a small leak on the port engine and I am trying to hunt it down. Sitting static, no leak. Running where the system is pressurized I get some drops below the engine on the outside of the port engine. Hard to get too, but I will find it.

Boy this thread went sideways fast...

The OP asked about antifreeze color and then specifically related it to Cat 3208’s. Clearly he is not asking about water system winterizing.

Alaska, the pink coolant is Cat’s ELC antifreeze, basically an extended life version of the green. Check with your local Cat mechanic, but either should be fine.

Some on Boatdiesel have posted that they developed coolant leaks after switching to ELC, purportedly because it is “slipperier” than the green. IDK, but I run ELC in my 1997 3116 and have no issues.

Back
Top Bottom