Electrically can this be done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I think it can. I want to install blue dome lights on the ceiling of my sundeck. They look cool. The sundeck already has 2 white dome lights controlled by a push button switch. It is impossible for me to run additional wires to the dome lights. So I am wondering if anyone makes a led bulb replacement that has both a blue and white bulb and is controlled by the sequence of tuning the switch on and off. For example, pushing the switch once turns the white light on. Pushing the switch again turns the blue light on and the white light off. Pushing the switch for the third time turns the light off.*

Anybody know of such a bulb replacement?

If not then can a controller be installed at the bulb location that will do what I describe? I think I have room around the light fixture location to place a electronic device that would do what I describe. It would have to fit between the ceiling of the sundeck and the roof, probably about 2 inches of space.*

I sure hope something like this can be done.

Thanks in advance.

You can buy strips of 12 v LEDs on ebay in many lengths and they are cheap. You could wire those and glue them inside your dome. Then control it with a three way toggle switch.

timjet wrote:
I think it can. I want to install blue dome lights on the ceiling of my sundeck. They look cool. The sundeck already has 2 white dome lights controlled by a push button switch. It is impossible for me to run additional wires to the dome lights. So I am wondering if anyone makes a led bulb replacement that has both a blue and white bulb and is controlled by the sequence of tuning the switch on and off. For example, pushing the switch once turns the white light on. Pushing the switch again turns the blue light on and the white light off. Pushing the switch for the third time turns the light off.*

Anybody know of such a bulb replacement?

If not then can a controller be installed at the bulb location that will do what I describe? I think I have room around the light fixture location to place a electronic device that would do what I describe. It would have to fit between the ceiling of the sundeck and the roof, probably about 2 inches of space.*

I sure hope something like this can be done.

Thanks in advance.

If you can replace the push button switch with a double pole, double throw, center off toggle or rocker switch, you can add blue LEDs to your existing (or a replacement) fixture.

Wire the blue and white LEDs in reverse (polarity) of each other, then wire the switch to reverse the polarity of the power sent to the fixture.

Of coure you have to use polarized LED lamps.* The ones with built in drivers will work on either polarity and wouldn't accomplish what you want to do with this setup.

Of course if you can put an additional switch at or in the fixture, it's easy.* Switch the power to either of two sets of lights.* Just a switch will do, nothing fancy.* Single pole, double throw.* Since it's very low current, a "mini" switch will work.

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 14th of December 2011 09:56:49 AM

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 14th of December 2011 09:57:22 AM

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 14th of December 2011 09:57:56 AM

All our 12 volt dome lights have a white and a red bulb which are sold at most marine stores.* White during the day and red at night.* You can buy transparent nail polish at most drug stores to paint the bulb.*****
A light fixture does not care if the electricity is AC or DC.* We have DC lighting*using AC*fixtures.* Its the*bulb*and the wiring.*

Phil Fill wrote:A light fixture does not care if the electricity is AC or DC.* We have DC lighting*using AC*fixtures.* Its the*bulb*and the wiring.*

But it does care about the voltage.* 12 volts in a 120 volt fixture is fine. 120 volts in a 12 volt fixture is not.* Many 12 volt fixtures have exposed electrical parts.* Fine for 12 volts, potentially lethal at 120 volts.

Somebody asked a similar question somewhere else. If you google "marine led lights" or something like that you will find what you are looking for! I think I googled "Marine led tri color" or something like that. Obviously you will get a lot of hits for masthead tri colors but you will find what you are looking. If I come across that other thread I will post it here.

rwidman wrote:
Wire the blue and white LEDs in reverse (polarity) of each other, then wire the switch to reverse the polarity of the power sent to the fixture.

*Ron, Thats very creative.*

I'm fascinated by electronics, but know very little about it. I want to learn more and I will when I retire.

Anyway I'm going to wire it as you suggested and yes I have plenty of room for a DTDP switch.*

My biggest challange now will be finding a 2" or thereabouts white and blue light fixture with the LED's wired as you stated. I think this may be hard to find. If I'm unable to find such a light fixture I guess I'll have to build it myself, but it would look more professional if I could find one already wired.

Attached below is a wiring diagram of your suggestion.

Thanks all for your input.

Attachments

• sundeck lighting.jpg
    sundeck lighting.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 61
timjet wrote:septembre wrote:
they have what you are looking for.....

http://www.yachtlights.com/item--Tri-Color-LED--AP-742L-SDI

take a look at the video.
*Yup, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Wish isn't wasn't so expensive

It's a boat.* Everything is expensive.* But look how quick and easy it is to just pop them in compared to constructing something that may not look good.* And look at the time you'l save.

timjet wrote:rwidman wrote:
It's a boat.* Everything is expensive.* But look how quick and easy it is to just pop them in compared to constructing something that may not look good.* And look at the time you'l save.

*Yes a boat is a deep money pit, but sometimes it can be made a little less deep. Check this out:*http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Lumitec+Aurora+LED+Dome+Light+-+12V.html

Certainly.* That's good research.* Don't you just love the Internet?

I put those red / white / blue LED's on my last boat in Florida and they worked very well. When you first turn the switch on nothing happens and then every time after that when you turn the switch on the lights will cycle through all the colors. Red and white are bright but blue could use a little help. They are very easy to fit as replacements from Perko. I was going to buy some for my current boat in the bay area but there are other items higher on the wish list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom