Chesapeake Debris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
https://www.facebook.com/CityOfAnnapolis/videos/2292365707456909/

What's the point?

What's the point? After the heavy recent rains, the upper Chesapeake is a place one must be especially watchful for debris in the water. The video is of Ego Alley in downtown Annapolis. The water there is always free of debris yet the video shows that it became a mess after the rains. I think the point may be just an example of how much debris came into the Chesapeake all over.

The runoff will have an effect on blue crab harvest - therefore the local economy this year.

The northern bay was a mess. Didn’t bother going out due to debris. Whole trees, logs, and other things that can cause nasty damage. With the sewage runoff, forget swimming.

Last edited:
Decided to stay in the slip as well; not only the big nasty stuff, but the fine silt/sand in Back River would certainly not be helpful to the cooling systems

Potomac River takes about 3 days to clear out after it stops raining. Don't know about the other rivers that feed the Bay.

We hit a wooden pallet crossing back over from Kent Island one night. Pieces of it were impaled by the prop and it was some fun getting it off while bobbing in the Chesapeke watching barge tows go by!

Ran from DC to Chapel Point, Tobacco River yesterday and from there to St Mary's today. Debris free on the Potomac.
We are running to Solomons tomorrow and then Annapolis the day after so we will see what the Bay is like.

We're scheduled to come to Solomons today, too, so if that really happens we'll get a look at the situation...

-Chris

We left the South River at 0845, puttered along at trawlers speeds, arrived Solomons 1415, 41 NM, average 7.5 kts.

We didn't see much debris; some in the entrance to the South River, a bit more at the mouths of the South and West River, nothing after that. Most of what we saw was small, but a few pieces wre maybe approx 6" diameter and up to 5' or so long.

-Chris

It appears that the debris has tended to wash ashore, leaving the middle of the Bay more navigable. But do be careful as you enter rivers, creeks and harbors. There were some 20-foot trees floating near Annapolis yesterday.
The committee cancelled the Governor's Cup race this weekend. Sailing overnight was deemed to be too hazardous, and I agree.
If you have exposed props, be very careful. I have a full keel and still am not going out there (from Kent Island) for a few more days.

-- Tom

Ran from Solomons to Annapolis today. Zero signs of any debris apart from two pieces coming into the Severn.
The little sailing dinghy gnats were a bigger problem though! :)

Delighted to hear it! Maybe I’ll take SNOWBIRD out this weekend after all (she’s on the north shore of Kent Island, behind my condo).

Will you be in Annapolis for a while? Maybe we can meet.

— Tom
If a man must be obsessed by something, a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. — E.B. White

Tom, Annapolis until Sunday then over your way to Cambridge and St Michaels before heading for Baltimore dropping our guests off on the tenth.

I've had two props rebuilt in the past 3 weeks. Be careful out there is message I believe.

Debris

Ran from Middle River to Kent Island, Castle Harbor, and back this weekend. Although there is debris out there, at trawler speed it is easy to spot. Also most is on the western shore about 4 miles out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom