Ford Lehman Starter Relay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrlangdon

Vessel Name
Sea Angel
Vessel Make
Sea Ranger Sedan (Euro Style)
I have twin Ford Lehman 120's on my 1980 Sea Ranger. Both of my Cole Hersee starter relays (small solenoids) are very corroded and falling apart. This is a 12 volt system but I'm not sure of the model I need to replace these. The model number is worn off the back.

I have found what looks like the relay on the Cole Hersee website but there are two different types. One is continuous duty and the other is intermittent duty. I am assuming I need the intermittent duty one since it is only activated when the start switch is pressed. These are the 3 post models.

The two model numbers are 24037 intermittent
24082 Continuous

Thoughts?

Call American Diesel. They will know and most likely have what you need.

Yep, I can always do that. Just checking if anyone else knew the correct model to price compare.

I don't know the exact answer either, but since those relays are only switching the solenoid current, its not going to be more than about 15 amps. So any reasonably sized relay of the type should work fine.

Ken

Thanks Ken. The two I mentioned above are, I believe 85-100 amps. There is no need for continuous duty correct?

I would not think continuous duty at all. They would be for a electric fuel pump or something along those lines. You are only cranking you motor for a brief period of time.

Either a continuous duty or intermittent duty should be fine. Those relays are highly overrated for that particular use so they normally last a very long time.

Ken

You should be able to use either.

Thanks for all of you chiming in!! On another note, does the picture of Sea Angel (my trawler) show up when I post? I don't see it in the threads. Tell me how to make that work if it does't.

Back
Top Bottom