documentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jann

My Mainship 34T has been documented since purchase. I have to pay $26 a year to maintain this. Is it worth it
I'm considering dropping documentation for just state registration (which I have to pay for anyway) and add state numbers
I don't leave country or state
my only concern does documentation give any value to the boat if I should later want to sell it?

Not really for that boat if not owned by a lender that requires it...it can always be redocumented by a future buyer.

I would leave it documented. For the sake of $26/year your going to have undisputed chain of ownership and lien status.....Not so with state registered vessels. I would question a vessel that was previously documented, removed from doc and then appears in federal documentation again right before a sale. UCC filing against it? Maybe, maybe not... Continuous Documentation disarms any question about ownership and liens. Why raise a potential flag for lenders,Doc companies or potential buyers? $26/year isn't worth it IMHO only.

I can't argue with you if you keep it documented or drop it. I'd personally pay the $26 not to have to put numbers on the side, but I won't tell you the documentation carries any real value for you. It might to some buyers, I don't know.

I agree with both Sailor and BandB. I like not having registration numbers on the hull and it does provide a consistent chain of ownership. $26/yr is really cheap. It is also very simple and easy to document now that the USCG allows it to be done on-line.

I thought about dropping documentation on my last boat. I never got around to it as you have to undocument, if you just stop paying the $26 you become a boat out of compliance.

When I sold the boat the new lender’s first question was documentation. They wouldn’t loan on a boat that wasn’t documented. This could have killed the deal so i’m glad I never dropped the documentation.

This may not be a valid concern in your case.

I can't argue with you if you keep it documented or drop it. I'd personally pay the $26 not to have to put numbers on the side, but I won't tell you the documentation carries any real value for you. It might to some buyers, I don't know.

I total agree, well worth the $26 per year. My tender has T/T Kinja on it. No need to attract the State's attention. Yea, I know of the limited use. I just use to go ashore and return the boat, no extended trips :thumb: :angel:

So if in Florida where I have a Documented boat-- Both boat and dinghy have Florida registration and titles also---- I only have to mark the dinghy T/T and the documented boats Name? Putting numbers and decals is a pain on inflatables. Can I just put the T/T and documented boats name and registration decal on the inflatables transom inside? Thanks

One of the few benefits of California is that USCG-documented boats need not be state-registered. A documented boat is prohibited from displaying state-registration numbers. Thus, no need for those nasty registration numbers on the bow. Also, a US documented boat (as opposed to state-registered) might face less hassle at foreign-country ports.

Last edited:
So if in Florida where I have a Documented boat-- Both boat and dinghy have Florida registration and titles also---- I only have to mark the dinghy T/T and the documented boats Name? Putting numbers and decals is a pain on inflatables. Can I just put the T/T and documented boats name and registration decal on the inflatables transom inside? Thanks

I am not a lawyer nor am I expressing any legal opinion. Check with a real attorney to see if what I say 'floats'.

What registration decal? Check with someone in the know. My boat has a home port of Atlanta GA. It is US documented. A documented boat does not need to display FL numbers nor registration decal because it is not registered in FL, it is "documented."

I suggest you check and see if you can just declare home port your boat in a different city and state. Well, any state other than Calif. No need to contact anyone in the new home port. I suspect you will need to change your US documentation. You keep kicking a sleeping lion, begging to pay another tax. Yes, there may be a maximum number of days you can stay in FL waters. Let them find you and count the days. How difficult is it to take a boat ride out of FL waters and back in the same day? Head east until you are far enough pump your sanitary tanks, pump your sanitary tank, make a log entry and then back in. This resets the calendar and clock. Dont brag and dont flaunt it. You have followed the letter of the law, I suspect. Screw the spirit of the law.

You get a tax bill for your boat, send them a polite letter indicating you have changed home ports.

Some boat sales, they take a nice trip outside of US waters, Bahamas waters? Sign the bill of sale, log the lat and long on the sales slip and presto, no sales tax. Of course that voids US documentation and the hailing port. Then the next year, pick a home port other than FL, put on the stern of the boat and re-document the boat with the CG.

This marina has some sort of silly rule about the maximum number of days I can remain onboard. I leave the boat, go to the grocery store or boat parts store, get a haircut and I satisfy that rule. I suspect owning my slip has little something to do with it too. Also, my legal residence is GA. IF I change my legal residence to FL, my boat is still home ported in GA. Then, there is some sort of exemption if the sale is between two private parties, no sales tax, I believe. Yea yea, I am walking a fine and narrow line.

If someone says, "That's what the law means." The ask them, why doesnt the law say what it means?

One of the few benefits of California is that USCG-documented boats need not be state-registered. A documented boat is prohibited from displaying state-registration numbers. Thus, no need for those nasty registration numbers on the bow. Also, a US documented boat (as opposed to state-registered) might face less hassle at foreign-country ports.

The only 'caution' is get a radio station license if you are going to operate outside of US waters.

I am not a lawyer nor am I expressing any legal opinion. Check with a real attorney to see if what I say 'floats'.

What registration decal? Check with someone in the know. My boat has a home port of Atlanta GA. It is US documented. A documented boat does not need to display FL numbers nor registration decal because it is not registered in FL, it is "documented."

Don't need a lawyer to know what you say doesn't float. Rules are very specific. You keep the boat in FL and are required to register it in Florida and have a decal. Furthermore, you're also required to register your dinghy in FL and have numbers on it. Documented boats are still registered in most states. You home port has absolutely nothing to do with where it must be registered.

Don't need a lawyer to know what you say doesn't float. Rules are very specific. You keep the boat in FL and are required to register it in Florida and have a decal. Furthermore, you're also required to register your dinghy in FL and have numbers on it. Documented boats are still registered in most states. You home port has absolutely nothing to do with where it must be registered.

So if my boat winters in FL waters, it must be registered in FL even though it has a display home port in a different country? LOL

Is it not true that most states require registration of a boat in the state for 90 days? So one could potentially required to be registered in four states simultaneously during a year? So, if documented, one needn't show four columns of state registration numbers? :blush:

The only 'caution' is get a radio station license if you are going to operate outside of US waters.

Solution: just monitor radio traffic. Trust that an emergency broadcast will be forgiven.

Last edited:
So if my boat winters in FL waters, it must be registered in FL even though it has a display home port in a different country? LOL

Perhaps dark-hulled boats are exempt. ;)

Is it not true that most states require registration of a boat in the state for 90 days? So one could potentially required to be registered in four states simultaneously during a year? So, if documented, one needn't show four columns of state registration numbers? :blush:

Yes, I've known one person who was registered in four states within 12 months as some states only allow 60 days.

Appreciate your message....but I agree with Olddan. I'm sure the Coast Guard does not actually require you to register in your hailing state, and I can't see how the state can require registration if you follow the 89day rule. ( legally speaking not spirtuality speaking)

Appreciate your message....but I agree with Olddan. I'm sure the Coast Guard does not actually require you to register in your hailing state, and I can't see how the state can require registration if you follow the 89day rule. ( legally speaking not spirtuality speaking)

Registration has nothing to do with homeport......

Taxation often has nothing to do with registration and the 60, 90 or 180 day location rule and EVERYTHING to do with intent of use/domicile.

Anfs the tax guys have llittle srnse of humor when they find you pkaying such gsmes as often suggested.

Documented boats are still registered in most states. You home port has absolutely nothing to do with where it must be registered.

I don't think this is quite correct. As a starting point, you need to be in compliance in your home port state. As noted, that may or may not require state registration. As you then travel from state to state, and many of us do, you are exempt for some period of time as a visitor, typically 60-90 days. But the exemption is typically based on the boat being documented and properly registered in it's home port state.

Now if you stay in a state long enough, you trigger their registration rules and need to register locally. That's how you end up with a second state registration.

But now let's say to move on to a third state. Your visitor's exemption will once again be based on your home port registration. So I think you need to maintain registration in your home port state at all times, assuming it's required, and may collect additional registrations along the way based on how long you stay places. At least that's how it's worked for me. People from visited states want to know that I'm in compliance at my home port.

Be careful using the term "home port" with a documented vessel as it can be anyplace. So the home port on the transom requires no state relationship unless you picked your domicile and that may or maynot have further tax implications....but not necessarily registration implications.

Registration is supposed to be in the state of principle use, but as those 60/90/180 day windows in various states close, you must register there also.

Floridas sojourner permit seems to be nothing more than a registration (90 day allowed for non Fl boats) with a special name, it varies from county to county and county employee experience.....

Be careful using the term "home port" with a documented vessel as it can be anyplace. So the home port on the transom requires no state relationship unless you picked your domicile and that may or maynot have further tax implications....but not necessarily registration implications.

I agree that the documented home port can be anyplace. But I think you then need to be in full compliance with that place. If that means state registration in that state, then that's needed. I say that because when visiting certain states, their rules for visitors are that you must be properly documented and/or registered in your "home" location, whatever that is. If it says Gloucester, MA on the back of my boat, I figure that means also complying with MA registration requirements. Now is MA, no registration is required for documented boats, but I have had to explain that having no registration is in compliance in MA.

Now I suppose if you documented boat says "Houston, TX" on the transom, and you principally use it in FL and have a FL registration, then take the boat to GA as a visitor, you might be in compliance since you are registered where you principally use the boat. But I think it woudl be a much easier conversation to show a TX registration vs a FL registration when your documented home port is Houston.

Home Port for documentation purposes is just a fantasy visual for recreational boats. The USCG has no jurisdiction over registration matters.

States only have jurisdiction within their borders so unless you cant or they can prove your length of stay in their state exceeds their registration rules, only then do they have any registration authority over you. Doesnt even matter what your domicile is and basically could care less.

Its not like drivers licenses where your license, registration and home state (domicile) all have to match.

Last edited:
Another consideration is that states can and do check the documentation records for boats with hail ports in their state. When they find you on the rolls they will often send you a tax bill.

Another consideration is that states can and do check the documentation records for boats with hail ports in their state. When they find you on the rolls they will often send you a tax bill.

Good point....and amplifies tax and registration are 2 different animals but often channeled through whomever handles the registration.

But in the long run you often don't have to pay tax just on that info if you show the boat is or has been used elsewhere.

Again, can be totally separate issues...tax and registration.

Dan does not follow the 89 rule.

As Psneeld pointed out, "Home Port" is a fantasy for recreational users. Now, it does occasionally backfire by getting you inquiries or bills from that state, but if the boat isn't in that state enough to require registration then it doesn't matter. Registration is required in most states you use a boat, but you're generally exempt from registration then if you use it there less than 90 or 60 days depending on the state.

In the case of Old Dan, his boat is in Florida and he's legally required to register it there. He may or may not be required to register it in other states, depending on how long it stays in them. His Home Port is irrelevant.

As to being in compliance with the 'home port" state, you must be in compliance with every state in the US. You're in compliance if you don't keep the boat there and don't live there. Beyond that, each state has their own rules. But basically you are automatically in compliance with a state your boat never sees and with each state you go to you must have further compliance. What you have in letters on the back of your boat is irrelevant as to whether you're in compliance of not.

Be careful of the word compliance too...make sure it's in the right context....

There's compliance for...
Documentation with the USCG and the boat can be anyplace

Registration and taxation with the state and county and may or may not be totally where the boat currently is

Safety gear and operating regulations/safety certification at the Fed, state, and local levels where the boat is located usually unless exempted for a period of time.

I have a hard time keeping up as boating interstate is no longer free and simple as yesteryear....

Interesting. Our home port state is and has always been Maryland. Current boat has been there for 7 years. We bit the bullet and paid their taxes and have a current MD registration sticker.

However the home port on the documentation is NJ. With a painted hull we didn't feel like removing the painted home port (and the name of the boat was actually acceptable to us).

The boat spends 99.9% of its time in MD waters and has current MD sticker so MD doesn't care. Have never heard anything from NJ. No idea what would happen if we traveled extensively.

We'll change the name and home port when we repaint, which has been "next year" for the past 6 years. The 12-year-old paint still shines up nicely.

Home Port for documentation purposes is just a fantasy visual for recreational boats. The USCG has no jurisdiction over registration matters.

Agreed, and don't think I said otherwise.

States only have jurisdiction within their borders so unless you cant or they can prove your length of stay in their state exceeds their registration rules, only then do they have any registration authority over you. Doesn't even matter what your domicile is and basically could care less.

I agree here too, but there is a practical issue when visiting other states. To be valid and exempt as a visitor, you are typically required to be correctly registered in your home port state. In other words, you need to be correctly registered somewhere else to gain reciprocity. So no, your state can't make you register your boat when the boat is not within their boarders. But most states require that it be registered somewhere if you want visit and be granted visitor status. You could probably dance around this and maybe even convince an authority that you are in compliance, but why put yourself through that. But if you want to knock yourself out.

Back
Top Bottom