AIRSEP or Diesel Air Filter Questions? I can help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AIRSEP Tech

New Member - Happy to help with any questions regarding Walker AIRSEP systems, or air filtration for diesel engines.

3208NA. Mechanic says I should get rid of the old paper filter, since paper will break down. Do they make all wire/mesh ones? Don't have much room to get the old one out. System seems to have a donut spacer underneath the filter housing--maybe able to work that out to get enough clearance to lift the cover off and than remove the old traditional paper filter. Thanks

Sounds like a good mechanic. Yes paper filters in the marine environment tend to break down, or get very restrictive due to moisture and or oil vapor*saturating the filter.
Walker already has drop in filters for the (3208) 375 and 435 turbo engines.
If engine clearance space between top of engine and sole is tight, then the only alternative is finding a "drop in" replacement. Walker currently has alternative filters...but they need a bit more overhead space.

That said, if you can share the stock paper element CAT part number, I can see if there is an older Walker filter that exists. May not be immediately available...but should not be a problem. Once we find the filter, you can then embark or swapping them out.

AIRSEP Tech,

I sent you a PM.

Sounds good. A call or visit to a local CAT dealer may also help if located in their database.

Attached is a picture of AIRSEP installed on 6LY2.

Attachments

• webwalker airsepyan6ly2-420.jpg
    webwalker airsepyan6ly2-420.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 142
Do you have a part number for the 6LY2 filter?

Thanks

JD, if you sent me a private message I can't find it. Check all my messages and none from you. I am assuming it would have been thru the forum's PM system. Thanks

Fighterpilot wrote:
Need to read better. Sorry JD, see that you sent pm to the filter guy not to me.
*No problem.

I am concerned that an airsep system would create a path for a potential runaway situation. Creating a path between the crankcase and the air intake, isn't this a possibility?

On another subject, how effective is the fuelsep system? Thanks, Glenn

Walker has been selling AIRSEP kit for NA engines since the 1980's, while theoretcially possible, I have not heard of such an instance. Many NA engines are set up from the factory to ingest raw blowby...which would have a higher concentration of oil and fuel vapor. Which theoretically would be easier to put the engine in such a condition. The only way to completely guard against such an instance is installing an air intake shutdown,whether the engine is AIRSEP equipped or not. I would not be too concerned if viewed statisitcially. I think many new Ford-Lehman engines had the blowby hose right next to the air intake, and I believe that engine has a pretty good reputation over the years.
The FUELSEP has been sold since 1997 and has a very good record at reducing transoom soot, especially when fuel quality is questionable at best. Keep in mind it's performance will be masked/reduced if you have a mechnaical problem or Algae in the fuel tank. The fuelsep will help...but do not expect it to fix those types of problems. I know PMY magazine did a "boat test" a number of years ago on *the FUELSEP, and the report was quite favorable. Walker can probably send you a copy of the article.

AIRSEP Tech wrote:
The FUELSEP has been sold since 1997 and has a very good record at reducing transoom soot, especially when fuel quality is questionable at best.*

As I posted much earlier in another thread...I had a transom soot problem on my 38' sport fisher and the FUELSEP solved the problem. The AIRSEP reduces a lot of leaks on the old Detroit 2 bangers (or any engine for that matter) by creating a negative pressure in the crank case, thus sucking the oil that's trying to escape, back in. Good company..great products. (No affiliation)

Back
Top Bottom