Old 07-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
JohnEasley
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezee View Post
2 Decembers ago we chartered a 30-some foot World Cat for some offshore fishing out of Islamorada. A front had just passed through, a wicked one. The winds had subsided somewhat and were 'only' about 20 out of the SSE if I recall, somewhat in the same direction as the 2-4 knot current on the outside reefs. Warning sign one was surfable waves were literally breaking on the outside reef (about 6 mi offshore, if you know the area). The captain a lifelong local, wanted to give it a try. Outside the reef we went, it was about 15'. We'd go down in one trough (all you see is water) and up over the wave (all you see is sky) this on a 30 some foot boat. I've never seen anything like that. After 2 hours we called it quits, the captain said "no charge, lets just call this a really sh*tty boat ride" And "its three times bigger than I thought it would be out there".
I was sick as a DOG. The boat however handled really bad conditions, AMAZINGLY. Thats the first and only power cat I've been on. In fact I think a monohull would have been downright dangerous out there that day. (we were borderline, as it was). I was never so happy to see terra firma, tons of respect for the boat- it can take more than I can !
Good to know it handled that well. Sounds like conditions we would not have gone out into, anyway.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote