PNW haul out for steel hull stripping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Anyone knows a DIY haul out place in the PNW, where I could strip the paint layers down to the metal myself? The boat is 78K pounds, so I will need a 30-40T crane.
The job is not urgent, but I cannot afford to pay a boatyard for this job, which can be 20-25K dollars.
Thanks.

Call Latitude Marine in So. LaConner on the Swinomish Channel.

My buddy rebuilt an old tuna boat, roughly 70 ft at the main yard at laconner, so don’t count them out. He had to be careful about adding too much steel as he was close to the yard limit, but it was a pretty big boat. Worth asking.

Port of Port Townsend. The best DIY spot in the PNW. Tons of tradespeople there who can assist if you need. They have a 330-ton Travelift that can haul boats 150' long. Also a 75-ton lift that they hauled our 50K lb. boat with (plus a couple smaller lifts, too).

You'll do fine there! (We spent 2-weeks hauled there in June and did most of the work ourselves.)

Last edited:
Port of Port Townsend. The best DIY spot in the PNW. Tons of tradespeople there who can assist if you need. They have a 330-ton Travelift that can haul boats 150' long. Also a 75-ton lift that they hauled our 50K lb. boat with (plus a couple smaller lifts, too).

Great! Thank you.
Port Townsend is close enough to Bremerton. So, we are talking about the Port of Port Townsend, or there is a boatyard, as well?
The number I have quoted came from a gentleman, who works at the boatyard. He told me the 20-25K dollars for a 50-55 footer steel hull sand blasting + paint job. This is why I never considered the place.

Great! Thank you.
Port Townsend is close enough to Bremerton. So, we are talking about the Port of Port Townsend, or there is a boatyard, as well?
The number I have quoted came from a gentleman, who works at the boatyard. He told me the 20-25K dollars for a 50-55 footer steel hull sand blasting + paint job. This is why I never considered the place.

Yes, the Port of Port Townsend operates both marinas in town. Point Hudson, the smaller one just off downtown, does have a boatyard but it's Sea Marine. I *think* they might allow DIY work there, but not certain.

The larger yard is commonly referred to as Boat Haven. It's southwest of Point Hudson and has room for 100 boats on the hard. If you've ever driven into PT from Bremerton it's the yard across from Safeway and the hardware store. It's huge! You can't miss it... :)

I think part of that cost is capturing all the debris from the sandblasting. I would check into the environmental requirements in the State of Washington.

From what I have seen in Port Townsend, any boat related work can be done there.

From what I have seen in Port Townsend, any boat related work can be done there.

I have been convinced by others that sand blasting is not worth doing it alone in WA State. Maybe vapor blasting will work? I need to ask the boatyards.

The Boat Haven , in Port Townsend does allow sandblasting .. with stipulations. There is a new dustless blaster in town that has done some boats.
Look up these guys.

https://www.jdpaintservices.com/painting-services

The P.T. yard is a DYI yard, probably the best one around

HOLLYWOOD

I talked to Boat Haven yard in P.T. They allow sand blasting, as long the boat is completely covered and environmental rules are honored.
They do not allow wet blasting.
They haul out is not cheap, quite pricey.
I think, I will keep looking for another yard.

Contact Mark, Service Manager at Maritime Service in La Conner. (360) 466-3629

Is this the same business as Latitude Marine Services ?

Maritime is at the port of laconner, latitude is just outside of town in the little indent next to hole in the wall

Do they allow DIY? Can they haul out a 35 tons vessel?

Thanks.

Yup,yup.
Call Pat and drop my name if you like.
They do large seine boats and other similar craft.
40 ton travel lift.

It seems that they are doing a beautiful job, but my whole point was to save money by doing my own labor. I will go to P.T. this week to talk to the yard.

not to paint the boat.. just to blast it.. they DON'T paint boats

:banghead:

HOLLYWOOD

not to paint the boat.. just to blast it.. they DON'T paint boats
HOLLYWOOD

I've sent them an email, asking for info. I'll try to call them, too.
Thanks.

Big damn boat bottom for a DIYer to strip, you better like hard, dirty work, and you are paying lay days on top of that.
Doubt if you'll ever find a yard that will let you blast you own bottom so what about chemical strippers? Sea Hawk makes a stripper, maybe figure out who the rep is and give him a call, see what you can find out.

I've sent them an email, asking for info. I'll try to call them, too.
Thanks.

I talked to them. They can blast, if the boat is out somewhere. They would do it for about 3K. If I hire them, I still need to find a yard, which allows dustless blasting.

Yup,yup.
Call Pat and drop my name if you like.
They do large seine boats and other similar craft.
40 ton travel lift.

I talked to Pat.
They could only do sand blasting themselves. They won't allow DIY. It will cost around 10-12K with paint and they need 2-3 weeks to get it done.
Too much for me.

about chemical strippers? Sea Hawk makes a stripper,

Who is Sea Hawk? Are they local?

I am afraid, chemical strippers are even more restricted. Am I wrong?

12K with paint is a very reasonable price. We have paid double that for a 44 ft boat but I expected a very good job.

Really?
https://www.seahawkpaints.com/product/marine-paint-stripper/
Problem with blasting is that you blow crap everywhere. Not so with paint stripper.
Getting the feeling you're not quite up to speed with how big a project this is.
If Latitude will do that job for $10k-$12k all in, including paint that is a deal, you should be all over that.
Gotta remember it's not just blast and slap on some paint. You have to deal with the cleanup, the waste is likely hazmat so what're you going to do with that? You have to prime, what primer are you using? Let someone like Latitude deal with all that. Also remember that their price is including haul and launch, lay days, and all materials.
Also, never had a haul out without the unexpected, sometimes expensive unexpected, better be ready for that.

Who is Sea Hawk? Are they local?

I am afraid, chemical strippers are even more restricted. Am I wrong?

Really?
https://www.seahawkpaints.com/product/marine-paint-stripper/
Problem with blasting is that you blow crap everywhere. Not so with paint stripper..

I looked up this stripper and it looks amazing. Thank you for this suggestion. This could really simplify the process. It can be cleaned up with water and no environmental harm afterwords! This is very important.

We have local businesses here, which sell this product, so I will follow up on this with them.

My boat was blasted down to the metal few years ago, by the previous owner. I am still trying to find out, what was put on the hull. I am sure the vendor for the stripping product needs to know, even if I want to remove everything completely.

Either way, if this stripping works, it will help me a lot. Honestly, I do not have 10-12K for this job. It is not urgent and I can postpone it, too. I just bought the boat few months ago. I wanted to do it myself and soon, just to be sure what is on the hull and how was it done? I will feel better.

As of the dirty work, it does not bother me. I don't mind hard work either. As a young man, I had the fortune to be a deckhand on merchant ships. During my 13 years as an O.S., I have had challenging job assigned to me. I am not young now, but the enthusiasm is much stronger, since I do it for myself. This is the main reason, why I want to figure this out on my own.

Thanks again for the tip.

Have you tried the other side of the border. Vector Boat Yard in Sidney has a 40T lift and you can work on your own boat

Have you tried the other side of the border. Vector Boat Yard in Sidney has a 40T lift and you can work on your own boat

I second the idea of looking around north of the border. Several boating friends have almost all their work done up there and have been extremely pleased with the results. The exchange rate right now strongly favors US buyers.

I built an entire house with materials purchased in BC, have had plenty of vehicle work done there, and bought our current boat there.

Back
Top Bottom