Keeping insects out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gumbalaya

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rosi Heyerdahl
Vessel Make
Inter-Leja Eurobanker 34’
Sorry if this was discussed before, please provide the forum links then...

What are folks doing to keep flies and other insects out of the trawler cabin?
Which installations, solutions work best?

I used to have an express cruiser and had a problem with bugs in the cabin. I made a "screen door" out of the material that's used for making screens for windows and doors.

I cut it a bit larger than the door opening and used Velcro to fasten it to the door frame with 3-4 short pieces along the top and 3-4 along the sides. It was easy to open and close, allowed the breeze to pass through and did a good job of keeping the bugs out.

All for about $10-$15.

Pretty much the same strategy as a home: screens on windows/portlights and keeping the doors shut.

Framed Screens for the windows and the bow hatch. Velcro secured screen for the upper part of the Dutch door.

Screening Seaweed has been an ongoing project. Here's an article which may be of service:

Screen Update article on janice142

Throughout the boat I have utilized a variety of methods. None are costly. Except for the hatch above my bunk none are absolutely bug proof. They are good enough however. I am not going to sit in my home and scratch! That's not on the agenda.

Two screening methods here: a regular screen and a pretty lace curtain that serves the same purpose and looks cool with the nautical motif.
Dinette.jpg

We got some zippered and roll up screens for the Pilothouse doors. Really pleased with them. Also got screens made for the portlights.

We have 2 screens for the cockpit, but we don’t really use them as it’s too hot to enclose the cockpit most days when the bugs are out. We have one of those cheap electric tennis rackets for endless amusement in the cockpit.

I love mine! Just returned from 15 days on the Delta with it. Most fun I've had hunting bugs since I was a kid growing up in the Midwest.

I'll confess to occasionally leaving my garage door open to invite another unsuspecting target into my lair. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! :D

Dont laugh I have one and they will provide you with a few hours of cheap entertainment on those boring days.

Lol I have one also for the house. I think the flies get scared. After I kill the first few the rest tend to keep a good distance away from me.

Last edited:
Lol I have one also for the house. I think the flies get scared. After I kill the first few the rest tend to keep a good distance away from me.

I also have one. Dont have a fly problem because we keep the AC on and the doors shut. It was a gag Christmas present right after I got my FFL. But it works great on spiders, and I HATE spiders,

I just ordered 11 new screens for my new portholes.

Hi where did you order the screens, i have a President 52 and need new insect screens

Hi where did you order the screens, i have a President 52 and need new insect screens

I just replaced all 11 of my original portholes with stainless steel ones from New Found Metals. They are awesome. It was a major PITA to install them, hours and hours of packing butyl tape around them, but the result is great. No more leaking and cracking plastic portholes. I gave the original porthole screens to a TF member in Seattle. I don’t know of any source for the original PYHI porthole screens. Beckson bought PYHI in the 90s I believe and then just shut PYHI down. My understanding is that they don’t have any parts available.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom