October 4-7, 2012 Fleet Week TF Rendezvous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'm planning to come to the Bay from Oct 3-14, 2012 for Fleet Week and will probably stay on for the following week.*

I'll plan to get a slip at Brickyard Cove in Richmond where our friends have their boat, but am open to other possibilities.* Who is up for a Fleet Week Trawler Forum Rendezvous? *

-- Edited by FlyWright on Monday 12th of December 2011 03:39:55 PM

You can expect Vickie and I to join to fun. We have been attending Fleet Week activities for a few years. Sure would be fun with fellow TF folks.

I can see spending at least a*couple of days doing that.* Brickyard Cove Marina doesn't have any dedicated guest docks.* With all the crowds, what's the best strategy for several boats "getting together" in such circumstance?* Ray, do you have any "connections"?

Attachments

• img_1354.jpg
    img_1354.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 74
Mark and all, we could all meet at Ayala Cove on Angel Island for a couple of days. The dink ride over to Tiburon for breakfast is always exciting! Not a bad view of the airshow, however, the "feel" is rather removed. I could tow our runabout behind the GB to give us a little mobility. Thoughts?

If worse comes to worse, I can imagine anchoring or*rafting up in Richardson Bay.

markpierce wrote:
I can see spending at least a*couple of days doing that.* Brickyard Cove Marina doesn't have any dedicated guest docks.* With all the crowds, what's the best strategy for several boats "getting together" in such circumstance?* Ray, do you have any "connections"?
*A week ago I spoke with Rick the Harbormaster at Brickyard Cove.* They take guest slip reservations starting 30 days in advance.* He said it's usually not a problem getting slips in the 35-40 range, even if it's an end tie.* Probably not an issue with 4-5 boats, but I'll check.* My buddy who is a tenant there is also working him to commit to slip space earlier.*

I love Ayala Cove, but there are no reservations there.* Maybe if a couple of us get there Wed eve and grab a couple balls in advance, it could work.** I could stay there for a couple days, but will want to spend time at Brickyard with friends, too. I'll probably leave the boat there the following week until I can return and bring her back into the delta.

I also like the idea of being out there on the bay in the big boats Thurs/Fri to make the most of the smaller crowds.* But I've never done this before, so I'm interested in the sage advice from older, wiser, saltier members.

Here are some pics taken by my friend, Kris, at this year's show.

img_68349_0_28a6ad0a99342af180c48813dfbad877.jpg

img_68349_1_fed6db5212c96a91e1d2dc9dc205e0ab.jpg

img_68349_2_6334671f13dcf02c55eb4fb50b54d525.jpg

img_68349_3_5e4d15296be403f1a92e62131827e208.jpg

img_68349_4_4d6af84d93259f72626af5d50484fcc3.jpg

img_68349_5_908ab5b9a783e2f90ea5b37a7e8a6f53.jpg

-- Edited by FlyWright on Monday 12th of December 2011 09:37:50 PM

I'm in favor of spending a couple of days at Ayala after Fleet Week. Brickyard sounds good during the activities. I have a 14-foot beam so a 35-40 foot slip gets a little skinny, at times. End tie sounds good.

Being on a boat in the central bay during the airshow is good for guests...not so much for the skipper! Always moving out of the way of some other boat. It's quite the scene when several thousand boats leave at the same time and in different directions following the show. The last time I witnessed the spectacle was from the top of Angel Island. I was happy up there! But what the heck, let's try it.

Then we better trade off being Capt and passengers on each others' boats!! ;-)

BYC Marina's berths tend on the skinny side according to its website.* The 13-foot wide, 35-foot long Coot needs a 44-foot berth to fit there.* Ya got to allow for the fenders.

FlyWright wrote:
Then we better trade off being Capt and passengers on each others' boats!! ;-)
*Yeah.* Makes sense to "combine efforts" while observing the activities.* Say, wouldn't a 42-foot Grand Banks be ideal?

Attachments

• ray's uncovered screen.jpg
    ray's uncovered screen.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 80
I have an idea...let's lash 'em all together and flip a coin to see who drives the whole mess around...

Don't think I'm capable of commanding a dual engine boat (too many levers), but could do lookout duty.* (Sailboard approaching at*10 o'clock!* Kayaker at 3!* Tanker*overtaking from 6 o'clock!)

Too far for me to cruise over in our trawler but I cannot help but comment on how amazing it is that this trawler can keep up with a fighter jet!
img_68601_0_4d6af84d93259f72626af5d50484fcc3.jpg

The trawler/tug is going faster * ....see how it's image is blurred?

I'm sure we will be up for something while you are here.*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom