KK39-42 Possible Cable Run?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wil

Vessel Name
Gone Walkabout
Vessel Make
1999 KadeyKrogen 39
I'm installing an AIS and the wheelhouse port-side ceiling cable run to the flybridge is crammed more than full. So I had a look to see if there was a mirror-image cable run on the starboard side. Seems like it, there's a 'Mystery Tube' there (see photo). The tube goes aft about 6in., then makes a right-angle turn and heads athwartships for some 8ft. then stops. I can't find any outlet for it anywhere--engine room or flybridge. Have any KK39-42 folks come across a similar cable run?

Attachments

• StbdWheelhouse Cable Run MysteryTube.jpg
    StbdWheelhouse Cable Run MysteryTube.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 124
Will: I believe I have cables going down that wiring chase. Certainly, my AIS antenna cable goes down that side. I don’t recall about the tube.

Jim

IMG_0888.jpg

Jim, thanks for the photo. Looks like your cable runs straight aft to your AIS antenna. I fished a tape down my tube, it turns 90d towards the port side of the boat. Figured out a way to find out more--I'll rent one of those interior wall inspection cameras and see what's down there.

Any other pictures out there of this situation would be appreciated.

Wil

I opened up the starboard side "cable run" on Bay Pelican(KK42) and did not find a tube or other means of fishing a cable aft or upward.

I got to dig up the site I purchased one of the bore scope cameras that will work from you cell phone has a micro USB plug on it. I've used it and posted some shots of my outboard on here. Was pretty cheap and does the job nicely. Has a real long cable to it as well.

Will: at some point I’ll open up that chase and look around. It’s been several years since I’d last opened it up. I’m rather busy getting things ready for a late start to the cruising season so am unable to open it up any time soon.

Marty, thanks for checking. It would be nice to have a second cable run going up to the flybridge area. I've got something there, just don't know what. Maybe an option on a KK39.....?
I opened up the starboard side "cable run" on Bay Pelican(KK42) and did not find a tube or other means of fishing a cable aft or upward.

Yeh, Amazon has several with good reviews and quite a long snake scope.
I got to dig up the site I purchased one of the bore scope cameras that will work from you cell phone has a micro USB plug on it. I've used it and posted some shots of my outboard on here. Was pretty cheap and does the job nicely. Has a real long cable to it as well.

No prob aytall. I'm in the PNW selling my home, the boat is in Brunswick, Ga. Won't be getting there for 2-3 mos.
Will: at some point I’ll open up that chase and look around. It’s been several years since I’d last opened it up. I’m rather busy getting things ready for a late start to the cruising season so am unable to open it up any time soon.

On Bay Pelican I found that some of the cables in the pilot house roof were not going to the flybridge. I was able to route these down into the forward stateroom port side locker and then into the forward bilge. Bay Pelican is a two head model.

I've found two wheelhouse runs so far. The port ceiling run to the flybridge, and one from the lower helm station area to the engine room. There must be at least a third one from the wheelhouse area forward to head, pump out, windlass, bilge, A/C, etc., but haven't needed to find it--yet.

My pre hull #66 only has port run, no starboard. At aft end of port run it goes to flybridge OR down chase thru cabinet at top port side of pilot house steps and dumps behind washer dryer area. From there either to engine room or under guest head vanity forward to bow.

I do have several factory black plastic conduits throughout boat, some empty, some full.

Scott, that port run is similar on a KK39 too. What is a 'pre' hull?
My pre hull #66 only has port run, no starboard. At aft end of port run it goes to flybridge OR down chase thru cabinet at top port side of pilot house steps and dumps behind washer dryer area. From there either to engine room or under guest head vanity forward to bow.

I'd appreciate a brief description of those conduit locations. It will help me discover further cable runs on my boat--that'd be a good thing..... Do you remember roughly the diameter of those black plastic tubes?
I do have several factory black plastic conduits throughout boat, some empty, some full.

On the KK42 a lot changed on hull #66 and after. One is the starboard side wire chase I’ve seen on much later hulls.

My plastic conduits are ~3/4”ID. Several terminate under the PH stairs/washer dryer compartment. It is the central hub of the boat. From there into the ER, elec panels, PH, bow, etc. As I said most are used, the one or two that were not, I never chased out. I did however add some more flexible conduits during my wiring project for future use. Still haven’t used them :)

I’d really need to see a KK39 to see how similar they are from a wiring perspective. Even the 42s varied greatly from 1977 to 1997 or whenever they stopped.

Ah, got it. Our 39 is an early model, changes were made as that model evolved too. The wheelhouse doors became much more substantial and waterproof, I'd like to upgrade that someday.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom